Would you choose winning a Super Bowl even if it meant 5 lean years after?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
100% I take that. I don't even need to be guaranteed the super bowl just give me legitimate hope for one instead of this Stephen Jones 'the ball just needs to bounce our way' garbage. The around the rim approach has gotten old and honestly has made the season less interesting. Especially with expanded playoffs we know this team is good enough to make the tournament, just making it really isn't a major accomplishment these days. I'd easily sacrifice a few lean years for a true chance at a superbowl run.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Hell yes.
Unlikely to work out like that because it's tough to decline to "lean" that fast. I'd change "lean" to "disappointing" in the question. See last three seasons as an example.

rags747

Reaction score
Have to be honest here. Have loved the Cowboys since 1969, Calvin Hill was our #1 pick. The Cowboys winning a Championship changes my life Zero, Zilch Nada. If it somehow changes your life I would love to know how. Thx…

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Funny alternative way of looking at it? Would you take 3 Super Bowls just to not win another one for 30? Because that's our reality right now. :lmao2:

It's like a lump sum settlement we'll give you all 3 Super Bowls in a 4 year span instead of 1 every 10 years but no more for 30.
I think this is more about doing everything in your power to win a Super Bowl even if it costs you some bad years afterward. I don't think our 30 lean years have anything to do with our three titles, although I guess those did result in the split between Jerry and Jimmy, which was the fall of the franchise (although I don't think Jimmy would have stuck around much longer no matter what).

leeblair

Reaction score
I would choose winning a SB even if it meant a decade of irrelevance. In a heartbeat! Championships are forever. No one remembers or cares if you were close, “around the rim” or the most profitable franchise. Fifty years from now no one will give a rats behind what our cap numbers or TV ratings or the value of the franchise were. Lombardi trophies are what lasts.

How about you? Would you be good with winning a SB even if we were terrible for 5 years afterward?
It doesn't work that way. The Cowboys are either good or bad.
If they can win a Super Bowl that means they are at a level that they can sustain.
Unless there are other factors at work in the NFL.
It's peculiar how certain teams who are vying for a new stadium make it to the Super Bowl, and how they fall off immediately after PSL sales are at the necessary level.
And how Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift were NFL royalty last year. And how New Orleans won after Katrina. How the Manning brothers each got two. How the Titans went to the Super Bowl in their first years in Nashville.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The problem with the scenario is that you can go all in, face those 5 lean years, but accomplish nothing due to chemistry or injuries or coaching.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I mean I chose beating the Steelers for our 3rd in 4 years for almost 3 decades on not returning
Just saying
So 1 for 5 is a bargain

Flamma

Reaction score
I ask because our FO seems to worry more about cap restrictions than going for it.
They don't want the lean years and partial rebuild it would take to climb out of the hole they made. I'm not sure it would even take that long. Rams won a SB in 2021, right? They were back in the playoffs last year. They weren't great, but climbing fast.

Does our front office even know how to rebuild?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would choose winning a SB even if it meant a decade of irrelevance. In a heartbeat! Championships are forever. No one remembers or cares if you were close, “around the rim” or the most profitable franchise. Fifty years from now no one will give a rats behind what our cap numbers or TV ratings or the value of the franchise were. Lombardi trophies are what lasts.

How about you? Would you be good with winning a SB even if we were terrible for 5 years afterward?
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Whether it’s a decade or 5 years I would not choose the irrelevance for a Super Bowl win. I want SB’s every year.