Would you do this trade?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
WAS just tagged Kirk Cousins for 24m and the funny part is that SF might still trade 2 1st for

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
WAS just tagged Kirk Cousins for 24m and the funny part is that SF might still trade two 1sts for him including the 2nd overall

And people think that 14m for Romo is a hindrance to a trade.......... Ha Ha

jujoboys

Reaction score
If you know about the cap you should know that cutting Romo and trading Romo open up the exact same amount of cap space.... a June 1st cuts creates zero cap space until June 2nd

So again, why would you ever cut Romo?
I answered your question in my first sentence but I will try to explain it again. The 1st option is to trade Romo. Obviously, you want to get something for him if you can. This also saves about $5 million on the salary cap this year and $54 million in salary cap space over the next 3 years. If you can't find a trade partner for Romo then you cut him. We can't have a QB sitting on the bench making $14 million in salary this year, $19.5 million next year, and $20.5 million in 2019. Also, we need his salary cap hits off the books so we can start paying free agents like Zack Martin eventually. This dream that Romo will be content to ride the bench in Dallas behind Dak is just a dream. Romo has said that he wants to play. Dallas has stated that the job is Dak's. Romo asked Jerry and Garrett for a chance to compete for the starting job last year and was told no. Tony is the past and we are building for the present and future. The present and future will be easier to build with the cap space provided by trading him (1st option) or cutting him (2nd option).

Believe me, I would love it if Romo's contract was not like an albatross hanging around our salary cap necks and Romo was willing to be a backup. However, I don't believe that Romo will stay as a backup and the salary cap issue is not fixed by just lowering his salary/redoing his contract because there is so much prorated bonus money tied into it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I answered your question in my first sentence but I will try to explain it again. The 1st option is to trade Romo. Obviously, you want to get something for him if you can. This also saves about $5 million on the salary cap this year and $54 million in salary cap space over the next 3 years. If you can't find a trade partner for Romo then you cut him. We can't have a QB sitting on the bench making $14 million in salary this year, $19.5 million next year, and $20.5 million in 2019. Also, we need his salary cap hits off the books so we can start paying free agents like Zack Martin eventually. This dream that Romo will be content to ride the bench in Dallas behind Dak is just a dream. Romo has said that he wants to play. Dallas has stated that the job is Dak's. Romo asked Jerry and Garrett for a chance to compete for the starting job last year and was told no. Tony is the past and we are building for the present and future. The present and future will be easier to build with the cap space provided by trading him (1st option) or cutting him (2nd option).

Believe me, I would love it if Romo's contract was not like an albatross hanging around our salary cap necks and Romo was willing to be a backup. However, I don't believe that Romo will stay as a backup and the salary cap issue is not fixed by just lowering his salary/redoing his contract because there is so much prorated bonus money tied into it.
Maybe you cut him if you have to in September if you have a decent backup but you don't choose it as your first option

The best plan is to be patient... if that means keeping Romo for one more season then so be it
Giving him away is the worst possible plan...we would still need a QB2 and still take a large cap hit

I would rather pay more in salary and get a better draft pick