Would you do this trade?

waving monkey

Reaction score
what is Brock Osweiler cap this coming year? It's high I know that and his not a good QB

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Backing up Dak at $16 million in 2017 and $18 million in 2018...may as well keep Romo
Osweiler is the cost for getting a 1st and 3rd

Only his 16m 2017 salary is guaranteed so he would be gone or re-done before 2018

I would take that cap hit for a 1st and 3rd every day plus we still need a bak up to Dak

jujoboys

Reaction score
yeah.....the last 2....the cerebral part of the game has been mastered by these guys
Two QBs that have been to Superbowls many times over a span of many years can't be compared to Romo. Also, Tom Brady's is way healthier than Tony Romo ever thought about being and the Denver defense basically carried Denver to the last Superbowl when Manning was QB. Again, you overvalue Romo. He is not worth a 1st and 3rd round pick in this year's draft. If he were then we would have teams beating down our doors trying to get him. Instead, I think we have a couple of teams sitting back waiting for him to get cut. If we end up getting something for him then I would be shocked if it is anything more than a 4th round pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Backing up Dak at $16 million in 2017 and $18 million in 2018...may as well keep Romo

That's the thing he makes too much money but your response was why would we need him. Osweiler is guaranteed $16M in 2017 which is going to make it tough for the Texans to sign Romo. They would have to try and sign him as a free agent to try and work out a contract because they're stuck with Osweiler for one more year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Two QBs that have been to Superbowls many times over a span of many years can't be compared to Romo. Also, Tom Brady's is way healthier than Tony Romo ever thought about being and the Denver defense basically carried Denver to the last Superbowl when Manning was QB. Again, you overvalue Romo. He is not worth a 1st and 3rd round pick in this year's draft. If he were then we would have teams beating down our doors trying to get him. Instead, I think we have a couple of teams sitting back waiting for him to get cut. If we end up getting something for him then I would be shocked if it is anything more than a 4th round pick.
child please....Romo is right there with the mental game with Brady, Peyton, Brees and ARod

His injuries are healed and he is ready to go just like any other QB...just like Peyton's first 3 years in DEN when he was unstoppable...Tony has reached Jedi Master level

A 4th is a joke....Cassel got a 5th

jujoboys

Reaction score
child please....Romo is right there with the mental game with Brady, Peyton, Brees and ARod

His injuries are healed and he is ready to go just like any other QB...just like Peyton's first 3 years in DEN when he was unstoppable...Tony has reached Jedi Master level

A 4th is a joke....Cassel got a 5th
If Romo has reached Jedi master level and is so great then why would you want to trade him? I'll tell you why. It is because he is a 37 year old with a history of back problems that got hit in 2015, missed 7 games, played a little over 1 game, got hit again, missed the rest of the season, came back healthy in a preseason game, took a few snaps and got hit again, missed a bunch more games, and then had 1 TD drive in a meaning less game that where he did not get touched. Romo's recent history says he is headed for IR with any amount of playing time.

I have always been and will always be a Tony Romo fan but I also have to be realistic. Tony's time in Dallas is done and the trade market is soft for his services right now. Right now the compensation would be low if we were to even be able to get compensation for him. Maybe we hold onto him and see if a team suffers an injury at QB that drives his stock up? Not sure if Jerry would do that to Romo but I think that is the only way we get good draft compensation for him and it would most likely have to be a pick in next year's draft since the likelihood of a QB getting hurt prior to the 2017 draft is slim.

I am not even going to get into whether Romo is as mentally sharp as the other 4 QBs that you mentioned. That would just be a debate that is totally based on opinion.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If Romo has reached Jedi master level and is so great then why would you want to trade him?
Because we hit the Draft Powerball last year....... Dak is the present and the future

You can't keep 2 top QBs on your roster.... they are too valuable and too expensive

If Romo wants to take 5m a year to be the bak up then fine but otherwise get some picks and cap relief

jujoboys

Reaction score
Because we hit the Draft Powerball last year....... Dak is the present and the future

You can't keep 2 top QBs on your roster.... they are too valuable and too expensive

If Romo wants to take 5m a year to be the bak up then fine but otherwise get some picks and cap relief
I love your enthusiasm but I believe we have a few things going against us when it comes to compensation for Romo: 1) His age, 2) his recent health over the last 2 years, 3) his contract, 4) teams that maybe interested know there is a good chance he gets cut, 5) we need a desperate team and I don't think there is a team that has reached desperation mode. I was hoping Carson Palmer would retire, 6) doubt Jerry holds onto Romo (out of respect) until a team loses a starter and becomes desperate.

With all that being said, I hope like crazy that you are right and a team sees Romo as the last piece of the puzzle and offers something up in desperation.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I love your enthusiasm but I believe we have a few things going against us when it comes to compensation for Romo: 1) His age, 2) his recent health over the last 2 years, 3) his contract, 4) teams that maybe interested know there is a good chance he gets cut, 5) we need a desperate team and I don't think there is a team that has reached desperation mode. I was hoping Carson Palmer would retire, 6) doubt Jerry holds onto Romo (out of respect) until a team loses a starter and becomes desperate.

With all that being said, I hope like crazy that you are right and a team sees Romo as the last piece of the puzzle and offers something up in desperation.
Why should we cut Romo?

jujoboys

Reaction score
Why should we cut Romo?
We cut Romo if we can't trade him because of the salary cap and the distraction of having him on the roster. Romo wants to start and everyone knows it. We don't need the distraction of people calling for Romo to start when Dak has a bad game or debating who we should start. As good a year as Dak had last year there were still people wanting Romo to play in the playoff game and some questioning why we did not bring Romo into the Giants' game.

Go to overthecap.com, click on Dallas, then click on calculator. Go to Romo and change the status to trade/cut/June 1st cut and see what it does for our salary cap over the next few years.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Why would we trade for Brock? We are getting rid of Romo mostly because of high priced salary. Why would we trade a high priced QB for another high priced QB

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We cut Romo if we can't trade him because of the salary cap and the distraction of having him on the roster. Romo wants to start and everyone knows it. We don't need the distraction of people calling for Romo to start when Dak has a bad game or debating who we should start. As good a year as Dak had last year there were still people wanting Romo to play in the playoff game and some questioning why we did not bring Romo into the Giants' game.

Go to overthecap.com, click on Dallas, then click on calculator. Go to Romo and change the status to trade/cut/June 1st cut and see what it does for our salary cap over the next few years.
Distractions are excuses for children....Romo is under contract and he does what he is told

If you know about the cap you should know that cutting Romo and trading Romo open up the exact same amount of cap space.... a June 1st cuts creates zero cap space until June 2nd

So again, why would you ever cut Romo?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Why would we trade for Brock? We are getting rid of Romo mostly because of high priced salary. Why would we trade a high priced QB for another high priced QB
It is a one year hit .....we still need a quality backup QB and we get a 1st and a 3rd