Would you draft Aaron Donald with our first round pick

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The more tape I see on this guy the more I think its not even a reach if they draft him round 1. Forget about his size, this guy is a beast.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
The more tape I see on this guy the more I think its not even a reach if they draft him round 1. Forget about his size, this guy is a beast.

No . I like him a lot but I think we haw to go DE in 1st . Elite outside pass rushers are harder to find . I actually think Kelcy Quarles is the best DT in this draft . He has a burst and closes in faster than anyone else (and he should be there in 2nd round)

ccb04

Reaction score
Yes...but preferably following a trade down for an additional 3rd and depending on what they decide to do with Ware.

His 2013 stats: 59 tackles, 28.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, 16 QB hurries, 4 forced fumbles.

I also like Quarles as well...as Pessimist mentioned.

A 1-tech/NT candidate I like somewhat later in the draft that could pair well with a more traditional 3-tech, is Ryan Carrethers from Arkansas St. Despite a stout 6-2/330 lb. frame, he had a whopping 87 tackles in 2013...to include 16 tackles in one game and 7 tackles vs. Auburn. Was also on the Bednarik & Outland watchlist's.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Agreed, depends on where we pick. At 16...probably not. But if we move down to the 25-28 range, he could be a good fit. I think the guy reminds me a lot of Ratliff...super quick, good hands, but undersized. Should be a nice 3-tech player

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I'm not trying to knock the OPs suggestion but...

Please. No more undersized players on the DL. Can we give bigger guys that can actually play a shot for once?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

Please. No more undersized players on the DL. Can we give bigger guys that can actually play a shot for once?

I want pedigree. SEC, BIG12 only. No more of this small school stuff

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Size is not an issue in this years draft, no reason to waste valuable time beefing up undersized DL in a draft stocked with beef on the hook already...

Stephon Tuitt*, DE, Notre Dame
Height: 6-6. Weight: 312.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80

Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
Height: 6-6. Weight: 311.
Projected 40 Time: 5.37.

Kelcy Quarles*, DT, South Carolina
Height: 6-4. Weight: 298.
Projected 40 Time: 5.05.

Daniel McCullers*, DT, Tennessee
Height: 6-8. Weight: 360.
Projected 40 Time: 5.45.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

That's so frustrating, too.

I typically start my draft scout research after the season is over, and I typically get a good amount of information in. There usually seems to be a general consensus among Cowboys fans, opposing fans, draft 'gurus' like McShay and Kiper, analysts, tv/radio personalities, etc. of who the good players are, where the majority of the good players should be coming from (the stronger conference) but it seems like our FO just doesn't get that memo past round 1.

It's like they don't expect those players to fall so they research small schools and try to find hidden gems. Then they fall in love with those hidden gems (that were hidden for a reason, btw) and then pull the trigger on them.

I really don't get it.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
As we saw last year with Frederick, it doesn't matter if we trade up to the top 5. If the guy that can help us is there you take him. Slot drafted only matters on draft day!

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

I was actually looking at him as a de on 1st and second downs and slide him in on 3rd downs and passing situations

JDSTAR

Reaction score
Yes, I would! I argue for performance over size. His game tapes and personal awards for this season implies to me that he is only beginning his dominate performances. Though diifferent body types, I think of Randy White when watching him play; a lot of emotion teamed with great technique. And I assure you he would not be catching wind in the 4th like Jernigan! Top 15 IMO, and worth the 16/17 spot.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SEC and Big 12 only?
Hope you're kidding and not, uh...stuuuupid. I'll take the high road and assume it's the former.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
yes and thank you lol our d is more about dline speed. We are going to need someone to get after the qb i doubt hatcher is back.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
If we could get someone like Kony Ealy (sp) at DE in the first, any chance Donald will still be around for our 2nd round pick ? If so, do that - and add a 1 tech DT line Joseph from NYG in Free agency. Its a good start. Yeah probably a pipe dream...

XxTDxX

Reaction score
No way. No more undersized guys at positions that require size please

tm1119

Reaction score
Ehh not sure. The real question is do you think Donald can be an every down player (or the equivalent for a DT)? Would you want Donald in on short yardage situations? To me a 1st round pick has to be able to do everything and I'm not sure Donald is that guy.

I do like the idea of him as a SDE but that would require a scheme and coaching change that won't happen.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Warren Sapp meant more to that dominant Tampa D than Simeon Rice ever did. A dominant 3-tech is vital. Getting a pass rush from inside is much more difficult to find than at DE. Just look at how many pass rushing DE/OLB there are in the NFL and how many pass rushing DT there are.

Henry Melton (6-3, 295 lbs), Geno Atkins (6-1, 300 lbs), and not many others at the DT spot. Melton was more important than Peppers was to that DL, and Atkins is by far the most important lineman in Cincy. If you run a 43 defense, there is nothing as important as a dominant 3-tech.

I'd take Donald all day long in the first. If Hatcher got 11 sacks this year from the 3-Tech spot, there is no telling what Donald would do. Put a big DT next to him and he would transform our defense.

supercowboy8

Reaction score

I would be more than happy to trade back in the 1st and hope to pick up a late 2nd or early 3rd and get Donald in the late 1st.