Would you draft Brandon Meriweather??

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1426816 said:
Tell that to the guy he stomped.
Hostile;1426816 said:
Tell that to the guy he stomped.
I don't have to. I know for a fact that the guy doesn't consider Meriweather a thug. If you followed the story closely you'd know that apologies and punishments were handed out.

Do you want to take a trip down memory lane to see how the fight unfolded, coincidentally started by the FIU players that were getting owned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2626725

There were many instances of heated words being exchanged from the game's opening minutes, especially after Williams dived helmet-first at prone Miami defender Kenny Phillips following a first-quarter interception.

From there, unsportsmanlike turned into unruly.

Bryant pointed at the FIU bench and bowed to the crowd after catching a touchdown pass with 9 minutes left in the third quarter. Moments later, FIU's Chris Smith wrestled Miami holder Matt Perrelli to the ground and punched him.

McDuffie kicked Perrelli in the helmet. Morse jumped onto the Smith-Perrelli pile, Singleton followed and tried to punch the Hurricanes' Calais Campbell -- and benches began to empty.

"You've got to back up each other," said Miami quarterback Kyle Wright. "You're not just going to sit out there and let guys get beat up."

Several players appeared to throw punches, including Miami's Bryant, DajLeon Farr and Ryan Hill, and Meriweather was seen attempting to stomp on FIU players. At least two FIU players were seen throwing punches on the far side of the field, and another swung a crutch menacingly.

Meanwhile, Reddick charged across the field, helmet raised high over his head, and slammed it into FIU cornerback Robert Mitchell.

The fight marred what was supposed to be the beginning of a rivalry between two schools with players who grew up playing each other on high school fields in South Florida.

Now, there's some doubt if the series will -- or should -- resume.

There is no excuse for Meriweather losing his composure, but surely you'd lose it if you saw you teammates getting stomped initially. As a former coach Hostile I'll assume you'd know the bond shared by teammates.

Meriweather Combine transcripts don't depict a player with a thug mentality. Scroll half way down the page in the below link.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=11031

Some more thug characterstics

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15277140/

Meriweather’s mea culpa came in the form of a letter, which Hurricanes coach Larry Coker wasn’t made aware of until moments before its distribution.

“I was not part of the initial fight that broke out,” Meriweather wrote. “However, I did see that my teammates and, more specifically, the placeholder were being attacked by the FIU players. At that point I went over the pile so that I could control my teammates and prevent the fight from becoming worse. When I arrived at the pile, I did not use my better judgment.”

Maybe he got his agent to write the letter, most thugs struggle with these kind of things.

Definately sounds like a Thug to me ....... he's trying to boast his draft value:rolleyes:

I'll assume that the Thug label came from the shooting incident.

Do you know the whole story as explained by the Police. You know the police right, there in the business of putting thugs away.

Meriweather shot at REAL THUGS with a registered weapon. Weapon acquired because a Cane player had been previously shot in a robbery. The police found that the THUG was right under the LAW to fire his weapon.

There's a common theme in the Meriweather stories, he always seems to be risking it all for his teammates eerily similar to another Cane that wore the star......... Michael Irvin.

Your ignorance about this situation is amazing Hostile.

Are you claiming ignorance or you just don't like the prospect therefore you'd manufacture THUG mentality to knock a prospect?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thug...Punk...Dumbarse...makes no difference to me personally.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1428032 said:
Thug...Punk...Dumbarse...makes no difference to me personally.

Thug ...Punk...Dumbarse...idiot.....stupid........loony...........so where is the cut-off?

Like I mentioned earlier " the choir boy crew is in full effect".

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles;1428052 said:
Thug ...Punk...Dumbarse...idiot.....stupid........loony...........so where is the cut-off?

Like I mentioned earlier " the choir boy crew is in full effect".

And the amnesia crew seems to be equally in effect.

Does the names ...Underwood (I know we did not draft him), A Bryant, D.Ross and K. Larrimore ring a bell?

Of course I know you love to go against the grain on many things.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1428060 said:
And the amnesia crew seems to be equally in effect.

Does the names ...Underwood (I know we did not draft him), A Bryant, D.Ross and K. Larrimore ring a bell?

Of course I know you love to go against the grain on many things.

Amnesia crew..........good one;)

Underwood..........Marcellus Wiley

A. Bryant...........Solomon Page

D.Ross.............Jacob Rogers

K. Larrimore.......Stephen Peterman

D. Goodrich.........Tony Dixon

We can play this game going all the way back to 1960.

For every bad character pick I can find atleast 2 good character picks that washed out of Valley Ranch due to the fact that more charater guys get drafted.

The "fact crew" always wins out. It's not an exact science.

This is a talent acquisition business.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Charles;1428014 said:
Your ignorance about this situation is amazing Hostile.

Are you claiming ignorance or you just don't like the prospect therefore you'd manufacture THUG mentality to knock a prospect?
I have no ignorance of the subject. I know all about the circumstances of him firing the gun. I know all about the fight, suspensions, apologies, etc.

I don't like the prospect based on what I perceive are red flags. Of all people you should know that on occasion I will defend the acquistion of a "questionable" player. Ahmad Brooks comes to mind immediately. So does Keith Davis when he first got shot last year.

I don't believe all the "explanations" of his actions in the shooting or how and why it happened in the first place. The Miami-Dade Police do. That's their business. You and some others do. That's your business. I don't. I think it's as naive as the Commanders fans who buy the "explanations" behind Sean Taylor's shooting incident. I choose not to be a hypocrite.

You see, I'm a gun owner and I can't think of any reason why in the parking lot outside of my apartment I would need to have a gun in my pocket. If he had run into the apartment to get the gun, I'd have no issue with it at all. It's the fact he had it concealed on his person that bothers me. I think there are probably a lot of underlying stories as to why his friend/teammate (Cooper so that you know I really am aware, and no I didn't look it up) got shot in the first place, and why he was packing.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1428147 said:
I have no ignorance of the subject. I know all about the circumstances of him firing the gun. I know all about the fight, suspensions, apologies, etc.

I don't like the prospect based on what I perceive are red flags. Of all people you should know that on occasion I will defend the acquistion of a "questionable" player. Ahmad Brooks comes to mind immediately. So does Keith Davis when he first got shot last year.

I don't believe all the "explanations" of his actions in the shooting or how and why it happened in the first place. The Miami-Dade Police do. That's their business. You and some others do. That's your business. I don't. I think it's as naive as the Commanders fans who buy the "explanations" behind Sean Taylor's shooting incident. I choose not to be a hypocrite.

You see, I'm a gun owner and I can't think of any reason why in the parking lot outside of my apartment I would need to have a gun in my pocket. If he had run into the apartment to get the gun, I'd have no issue with it at all. It's the fact he had it concealed on his person that bothers me. I think there are probably a lot of underlying stories as to why his friend/teammate (Cooper so that you know I really am aware, and no I didn't look it up) got shot in the first place, and why he was packing.

I totally see where you coming from.

The reason I interjected Ignorance (in Meriweather's case) is due to the fact that I know you've like prospects in the past that had red flags like Brooks or Everage. I couldn't understand why you would label Meriweather a thug when after those tasked with apprehending Thugs (the police) cleared him of all charges and further went on to explain that Brandon acted lawfully (weapon concealed or NOT).

Brandon also went out of his way to address the issue with front office personel at the combine. Some might argue that he's trying to gift wrap his negatives like Clarett, but this is a talent acquisition business and history has shown that the NFL will tolerate almost anything.

But, we're all entitled to our opinions. Some folks need to carry their fire arms at all times of the day, every where in their neighborhoods. I can relate to that. I've lived in those kind of areas.

I am happy you've brought up the Sean Taylor incident for comparison. It's a great way to prove your point, but his positives on the field by far out weight the negatives off the field.

The negatives on the field in the Sean Taylor incident are also iffy at best. A prosecutor/DJ by night pursuing a case in an effort to promote his part time Djying gig. The case was dropped!!!.

It's also interesting that these incidents involve players or individuals that were former high school teammates or neighborhood acquistances......."Crabs in a barrel"

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Charles;1428207 said:
I totally see where you coming from.

The reason I interjected Ignorance (in Meriweather's case) is due to the fact that I know you've like prospects in the past that had red flags like Brooks or Everage. I couldn't understand why you would label Meriweather a thug when after those tasked with apprehending Thugs (the police) cleared him of all charges and further went on to explain that Brandon acted lawfully (weapon concealed or NOT).

Brandon also went out of his way to address the issue with front office personel at the combine. Some might argue that he's trying to gift wrap his negatives like Clarett, but this is a talent acquisition business and history has shown that the NFL will tolerate almost anything.

But, we're all entitled to our opinions. Some folks need to carry their fire arms at all times of the day, every where in their neighborhoods. I can relate to that. I've lived in those kind of areas.

I am happy you've brought up the Sean Taylor incident for comparison. It's a great way to prove your point, but his positives on the field by far out weight the negatives off the field.

The negatives on the field in the Sean Taylor incident are also iffy at best. A prosecutor/DJ by night pursuing a case in an effort to promote his part time Djying gig. The case was dropped!!!.

It's also interesting that these incidents involve players or individuals that were former high school teammates or neighborhood acquistances......."Crabs in a barrel"
First of all, I was wrong to use the word "thug." I did use it, and that is not like me. I can dislike a prospect without giving him a label.

I do get tired of the need to go after "questionable" character players, even though as you've pointed out and I admitted, sometimes I am a vocal advocate of a "questionable" player here or there. Never one who has been linked to violent crimes though. That is where I draw the line. The media is already all over the Cowboys for every bad action, it doesn't need to be amplified even more.

Mostly I got angry at being labeled a "choir boy." I am getting sicker and sicker of the need to label someone if they disagree with you. You liked the guy, we didn't so automatically you needed to resort to a label rather than defend the player.

I'll debate something all day long and keep it at the joking level. Try and put a label on me and all it accomplishes is to make me less likely to debate and more likely to be a jerk right back.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles;1428102 said:
Amnesia crew..........good one;)

Underwood..........Marcellus Wiley

A. Bryant...........Solomon Page

D.Ross.............Jacob Rogers

K. Larrimore.......Stephen Peterman

D. Goodrich.........Tony Dixon

We can play this game going all the way back to 1960.

For every bad character pick I can find atleast 2 good character picks that washed out of Valley Ranch due to the fact that more charater guys get drafted.

The "fact crew" always wins out. It's not an exact science.

This is a talent acquisition business.

You do realize you can have good players that are also good character guys as well?

You Know...Like Newman and D.Ware.

However it seems that when we have went with the guys that have had questionable character, we have failed at it for some time.

I don't want those types of guys on this team because it is a headache in the waiting.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1428270 said:
First of all, I was wrong to use the word "thug." I did use it, and that is not like me. I can dislike a prospect without giving him a label.

I do get tired of the need to go after "questionable" character players, even though as you've pointed out and I admitted, sometimes I am a vocal advocate of a "questionable" player here or there. Never one who has been linked to violent crimes though. That is where I draw the line. The media is already all over the Cowboys for every bad action, it doesn't need to be amplified even more.

Mostly I got angry at being labeled a "choir boy." I am getting sicker and sicker of the need to label someone if they disagree with you. You liked the guy, we didn't so automatically you needed to resort to a label rather than defend the player.

I'll debate something all day long and keep it at the joking level. Try and put a label on me and all it accomplishes is to make me less likely to debate and more likely to be a jerk right back.

Since I am getting ready to leave work for the day, since I will probably not be back online for a little while, since you love labels...

YOU ARE A VEGETARIAN....SO there. :laugh1:

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1428272 said:
You do realize you can have good players that are also good character guys as well?

You Know...Like Newman and D.Ware.

However it seems that when we have went with the guys that have had questionable character, we have failed at it for some time.

I don't want those types of guys on this team because it is a headache in the waiting.

Great point.

But you can also have great players with character issues, being a Cowboy fan I don't have to walk you down memory lane.

Some of our greatest players had character flaws. So while they were a headache, I don't see anyone diminishing the 5 SuperBowl titles.

Every family has a drunk beligarant Uncle :p:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Charles;1428299 said:
Every family has a drunk beligarant Uncle :p:

This is true. For me, it was my Uncle John. Of course, he ended up in jail. Never did see him again.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Hostile;1428147 said:

We can carry concealed weapons in Texas. Many people I know carry theirs just in case anything happens. Heck, you could just be walking to get your mail and trouble finds you. If Merriweather had to run inside to get his gun, his friend would probably be dead. I don't condone the on-field brawl but carrying it on his person & using it in self-defense does not make him a bad person to me. Many law-abiding people carry theirs because it makes them feel safer and "just in case things" that unfortunately can arise....