Would you draft Brandon Meriweather??

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1425528 said:
Merriweather is a stud. He can play any position in the secondary and plays with something you cant teach.

Emotion and intensity.

90% of our defense is still trying to figure out what that is. He is a born leader that not only leads by example (on the field) but leads by his mouth.

For some reason our defense has too many timid people that prefer to lead by example and not vocally. Merriweather can talk with the best of them, but can back it up. He ins't afraid to use his 5'11 body to tackle anyone. He will stick his nose it even if he will be ran over. Has a nose for the ball and is a true ballhawk. Nelson might be rated higher but he doesnt play as big.

Sure the fighting and the gun incident have drawn red flags but that might be in our favor. This will surely cause him to drop and hopefully with proper positioning, he can be had for a early second round pick.

Well I'm not sure he walks on water but I do think he is a talent. He probably isn't going ahead of Nelson due to the hit on his rep. I'm not saying it's deserved in toto. But he's not going to explain it away to every team. Someone could take a chance lower in the first round though.

He could go higher. Who really knows with the draft. But he's not projected to go ahead of Landry and Nelson. Maybe that will change.

Personally I'd take him at 22 if Landry and Nelson are gone but I think there may be safer picks there in Jerry's eyes.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dwmyers;1425551 said:
Nelson is in play as early as Carolina. Carolina fans are talking about Nelson or Willis. For that matter, if someone picks Landry earlier than 10, I could see Atlanta picking Nelson. It's happened in my mocks. For example, this one, using a recent War Room top 99:

I wouldn't have a problem taking the guy. Even at 22 I'd take him. You'd better talk to Jerry though. I'm not sure he'd take the chance.

This is a very deep draft and teams should be able to walk away from it with two starters if they have picks in 1-3. This is a draft to pick safe. This is a draft with lots of lateral wiggle room to pick value and position.

Hopefully Jerry can't screw up day one.

tm1119

Reaction score
I would actually draft him in the 1st. If not for any "character issues" this kid would easily be a top 20 pick. This is also based on the fact that im guessing that both Landry and Nelson will be gone by 22. And of course this is pending an interview and other tests of his character.

Really this kid is what we have been looking for since Woody left. He is a ball-hawking FS who can cover the field well enough to let Roy do his thing at the LOS. Perfect fit in my opinion.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dwmyers;1425551 said:
This mock draft was made by rubysim.rb on 2007-03-18

22. Dallas Cowboys select Patrick Willis, ILB.

53. Dallas Cowboys select Marcus Thomas, DT.

87. Dallas Cowboys select David Irons, CB.
We go all D on day one and :eek: all over the place.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I wouldn't for two reasons:

1. Pat Watkins was a rookie last year; sometimes we forget that.

2. I'm liking the idea of taking Meacham or Bowe at #22 (or Ginn if he's there). Even Jarrett will be in the mix.

I think this is the year we can find our future #1 with Crayton #2. It's where the value and quality is this year in the early 20's.

Reaction score
Avery;1425622 said:
I wouldn't for two reasons:

1. Pat Watkins was a rookie last year; sometimes we forget that.

2. I'm liking the idea of taking Meacham or Bowe at #22 (or Ginn if he's there). Even Jarrett will be in the mix.

I think this is the year we can find our future #1 with Crayton #2. It's where the value and quality is this year in the early 20's.

If Ginn is there , I would take him over Merriweather..

Your number 2 WR cant be coming into his prime at 29 years old and still be a #3 WR on paper. He shouldn't be in the equation when talking about the future as he will be 30 years old. He is a good role player and should continue to stay as that.

And I also like Pat Watkins alot! I hope he can play well when he gets the shot again but you can never have too many DB's. Merriweather can play corner as well and would be an asset in the future in any nickel or dime defense. His diversity alone would warrant such a high pick.

dwmyers

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1425602 said:
We go all D on day one and :eek: all over the place.

It's one mock, chosen because of the specifics of how the safeties fall out. I can change the Cowboys draft rules slightly and they'll choose entirely different players.

David.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1425371 said:
Considering the NFL is cracking down on bs from players, would you draft Meriweather in the 2nd? Say he slipped to the mid to late 40's would you trade a 2nd day pick or two to trade up? Doubtful, but stranger things have happened and he could be there at 53 if enough teams are scared away? I'm in no way asking if we would use a 1st on him, but in the 2nd you'd have to consider it, even if we had to trade up a few.

From the great blue north's site.

There are some major character concerns as Meriweather has struggled with his behavior on and off the field; was a key figure in a brawl 2005 Peach Bowl and was suspended for his part in last season’s ugly brawl with Florida International in which he was caught on tape stomping on an opponent. Off the field Meriwaether was involved in an incident in which he pulled he repeatedly fired a weapon and several assailants who had shot one of his teammates.

no..when will people ever learn about this?

isnt it obvious that it ISNT worth the trouble on these kinds of players now?

David

Silverstar

Reaction score
I don't think we draft a FS in the 1st round and that includes Nelson IMO. I really think Watkins deserves another shot, because I think he will improve in his second year. A lot of teams didn't draft him last year, mostly because they were scared off by his height. Even though, Watkins posted some impressive numbers at the combine with a 4.42 forty and a 41" VJ.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't. Not even because of his character, I just don't see us taking a safety there. Watkins is fine.

I talked to a friend of mine who graduated from UT Knoxville - he has sold me on Meachum.

Reaction score
To me, one strike & you're out. There are too many quality players out there to indulge the punks. We already have our punk quota met anyway...:) .

With Henry volunteering to move over to FS, I would be more inclined to take a CB anyway. As was mentioned earlier, our 2 of our top 3 CBs are over 30, so it is definately a need. Of course now with Phillips on board, he might just find a way to use Reeves and/or Jones so that we won't need to draft a CB, but as of now, I feel we really need to get the secondary issue settled for once.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
I didn't see this thread until after I post my Pre-mock where I have the Boys selecting Meriweather.

I see the Choir boy crew is in full effect.:bow:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Charles;1426509 said:
I didn't see this thread until after I post my Pre-mock where I have the Boys selecting Meriweather.

I see the Choir boy crew is in full effect.:bow:
We have to stay on our toes to repel the yearly "but he's our thug" crew.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is a first round talent that I would not draft before the 4th round. I might consider trading to the top of the 4th or maybe even late in the 3rd and by late I mean the bottom 5 of the 3rd but as good as his potential is, that's as bad as he could be with off the field issues.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1426523 said:
We have to stay on our toes to repel the yearly "but he's our thug" crew.

hahaha.

The defination of "THUG" in your World (and most fans) and mine is very diffferent.

Stomping a player in the face during a brawl doesn't equate to thuggery.

Defending yourself with a registered weapon isn't thuggery.

But then again I am not surprised...............

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Charles;1426618 said:
hahaha.

The defination of "THUG" in your World (and most fans) and mine is very diffferent.

Stomping a player in the face during a brawl doesn't equate to thuggery.

Defending yourself with a registered weapon isn't thuggery.

But then again I am not surprised...............
Tell that to the guy he stomped.

Henson7

Reaction score
how come no one mentions Michael griffith when talking about a possible 1st round pick for the free safety spot, many sites have him rated above merriweather and Nelson plus he's a longhorn. No matter what I think there're 4 1st grade free safety's in the draft and Jerry has to take one in the 1st and put an end to what has been a problem spot for too long.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Henson7;1426986 said:
how come no one mentions Michael griffith when talking about a possible 1st round pick for the free safety spot, many sites have him rated above merriweather and Nelson plus he's a longhorn. No matter what I think there're 4 1st grade free safety's in the draft and Jerry has to take one in the 1st and put an end to what has been a problem spot for too long.
Griffin, and perhaps it's because his being a Longhorn is not part of the criteria most of us have, and he's a SS while we need a FS.

Henson7

Reaction score
I thought griffin could play both SS and FS like merriweather, I remember him playing FS when huff was there. Anyway i've seen him projected as A FS, he's really good in coverage..or so the scouts say. Personally I think Merriweather is the best safety in draft above landry but I'll take griffin.