Would you draft Cam Newton

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3750023 said:
Nope.

1: This team can contend, and win, now with the right pieces put in place. QB is not a need until a few years down the road so we'd be wasting a high pick, right now, for a guy who wouldn't play for 3-5 years.

2. Cam Newton is going to bomb in the NFL. Mark my words on that.

Based on what has made you come to this conclusion?

We're not talking about a 1 demensional player here.

We're talking about a guy who can throw, run, make plays, and is smart.

If this guy is a bust it will be because he doesn't give any effort to being elite.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;3750699 said:
If we didn't have Romo then yes.

I would take Newton, lLuck, or Mallet.

I admit to have some mixed emotions. We saw GB stay with Brett while Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 years and when Brett left, GB had a legit QB to turn to. On the other end when Troy left we had nothing and it took us years to find a QB.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CATCH17;3750715 said:
I agree with you but with all that said it won't matter when it comes to Cam Newton...

He is going to be a bigtime QB in this league.

He has all the tools and he is a smart guy.

The guy is going to be a great QB in this league and possibly the best when guys like Manning and Brady step down.

We'll see, but I'd be happy to take a bet on that. I dont think he's anywhere near talented enough as a thrower to be a bigtime NFL QB, and if he did end up ok I think its going to take him years to be ready.

When your a QB and consistently your best plays are runs, you arnt an elite prospect. His throwing stats are padded by the system he plays in.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3750719 said:
I admit to have some mixed emotions. We saw GB stay with Brett while Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 years and when Brett left, GB had a legit QB to turn to. On the other end when Troy left we had nothing and it took us years to find a QB.

Rodgers was also picked in the middel 20's as I recall.

We're probably going to be picking somewhere between 8-15.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CATCH17;3750717 said:
Based on what has made you come to this conclusion?

We're not talking about a 1 demensional player here.

We're talking about a guy who can throw, run, make plays, and is smart.

If this guy is a bust it will be because he doesn't give any effort to being elite.

Or it very well could be because his gimmick offense masked all the weaknesses he has, and he might be overwhelmed in an NFL offense vs NFL defenses.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Stautner;3747449 said:
If he were available, should we draft Cam Newton?

Us? no. But if I were Arizona and he were available, in an instant.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dbair1967;3750722 said:

I have been weighing the pros and cons. I don't think when it comes to QB you dismiss it without giving it some thought when you are selecting as high as we will be. If I knew how many years Romo would play it clearly would make it an easy call. Not sure I would make the move for QB on Newton but Luck I would love having the guy waiting in the wings.

Stautner

Reaction score
dbair1967;3750722 said:

I'm not sure what that matters. If there is a concern with sticking with a guy too long, and you have a guy who looks like it wont take too long to get him ready to play, you have to consider the when to make the transition regardless of when he was drafted.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dbair1967;3750721 said:
We'll see, but I'd be happy to take a bet on that. I dont think he's anywhere near talented enough as a thrower to be a bigtime NFL QB, and if he did end up ok I think its going to take him years to be ready.

When your a QB and consistently your best plays are runs, you arnt an elite prospect. His throwing stats are padded by the system he plays in.

Maybe they are a little but the guy can put a lot of Touch on his passes and he can fling it about 70 yards on a flick.

If he wasn't accurate I wouldn't back him like I am but the guy has shown at worst he will be as good of a thrower as McNabb.