Would you draft Cam Newton

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3748950 said:
If we didn't have Romo, yes.

Now? No. But if he's on the board when we pick, I'd work the phones and trade out of the pick.

quit talking sense

most people don't understabd that

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3747541 said:
Not unless it is after the 3rd round and I doubt he falls that far.

Some QB needy team, drafting in the first half of the first round, will talk themselves into believing that Cam Newton is the answer.

Bank on it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3749408 said:
Some QB needy team, drafting in the first half of the first round, will talk themselves into believing that Cam Newton is the answer.

Bank on it.

I'm sure they will. I think for those teams it will come down to Cam, Luck and Mallett as to who they think can develop into the best QB. Personally I think all 3 have a good chance of becoming good NFL QB but if I had to take one over the rest it would be Luck

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Nope.

1: This team can contend, and win, now with the right pieces put in place. QB is not a need until a few years down the road so we'd be wasting a high pick, right now, for a guy who wouldn't play for 3-5 years.

2. Cam Newton is going to bomb in the NFL. Mark my words on that.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Vinnie2u;3750087 said:
Yes all he does is win besids we could develop him

sure he wins...in a gimmicky offense that nobody in the NFL will ever run

none of these gimmick offense QB's pan ou in the NFL...there's a reason for it

Plankton

Reaction score
Boog;3748267 said:
Newton is a great player, but I wouldn't want him on the Cowboys. I don't see his run/pass ability doing much more than Tebow is doing right now, except he'll be picked up by a team who will start him right away. BUST.

I'd love to see Kellen Moore get picked up by Dallas. Tall QB with a great arm. But I want Romo to be around a while, so no QB right now.

Have you ever watched Kellen Moore play? Tall and great arm are two things that no one would associate with Kellen Moore.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Plankton;3750368 said:
Have you ever watched Kellen Moore play? Tall and great arm are two things that no one would associate with Kellen Moore.

Moore is not tall he is 6'00" while Newton is 6'5" and Luck is 6'03".

dogberry

Reaction score
Are there quarterbacks with junior college experience currently starting in the NFL?

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3749418 said:
I'm sure they will. I think for those teams it will come down to Cam, Luck and Mallett as to who they think can develop into the best QB. Personally I think all 3 have a good chance of becoming good NFL QB but if I had to take one over the rest it would be Luck

Luck will be the first player taken in the draft.

You can safely bet the farm on that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3750464 said:
Luck will be the first player taken in the draft.

You can safely bet the farm on that.

I would not be surprised if that were the case.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dbair1967;3750280 said:
sure he wins...in a gimmicky offense that nobody in the NFL will ever run

none of these gimmick offense QB's pan ou in the NFL...there's a reason for it

If I was a QB with NFL aspirations, I would absolutely refuse to play on a team that ran the spread. All it does it set you back.

However, there are teams that incorporate it into their NFL scheme just like plenty of teams have Wildcat aspects to their scheme.

Most notably, the Patriots the year Randy broke the single season TD record used it a ton and they still run it a fair amount to this day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Would I draft Cam Newton? Seems like this question has been asked before.

Well, yes, I would. I would not draft him in the 1st round and probably not in the second either but I would consider drafting him if he feel.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Boog;3748267 said:
Newton is a great player, but I wouldn't want him on the Cowboys. I don't see his run/pass ability doing much more than Tebow is doing right now, except he'll be picked up by a team who will start him right away. BUST.

I'd love to see Kellen Moore get picked up by Dallas. Tall QB with a great arm. But I want Romo to be around a while, so no QB right now.

Newton is a better passer now than Tebow will ever be.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
baj1dallas;3750561 said:
Newton is a better passer now than Tebow will ever be.

Statistically speaking, this is probably not an accurate statement.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
DFWJC;3748355 said:
If he's sitting there in the 3rd round...yes. Doubt he will be though.

I would not use a #1 on him unless it was trade bait.

I don't think he'll fall past the 15th pick overall. He's too good now. If his head's on straight he could easily be ready to start as a rookie, his throwing mechanics are good, it's only his experience in an NFL system that's lacking.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
baj1dallas;3750567 said:
I don't think he'll fall past the 15th pick overall. He's too good now. If his head's on straight he could easily be ready to start as a rookie, his throwing mechanics are good, it's only his experience in an NFL system that's lacking.

:lmao2:

dude is years away from being NFL ready

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheCount;3750531 said:
If I was a QB with NFL aspirations, I would absolutely refuse to play on a team that ran the spread. All it does it set you back.

However, there are teams that incorporate it into their NFL scheme just like plenty of teams have Wildcat aspects to their scheme.

Most notably, the Patriots the year Randy broke the single season TD record used it a ton and they still run it a fair amount to this day.

There's a vast difference between running a spread option offense (like college, ex Oregon, Utah, Florida, Auburn now) and running a 4-5 set "spread" offense in the NFL

The routes and reads are vastly different...there is absolutely no similarities that I see between those offenses and what New England or New Orleans does now.

Your first statement I absolutely agree with, there's no way in hell I'd go to a school that runs that gimmick offense if I thought I had any chance whatsoever of playing QB in the NFL one day.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If we didn't have Romo then yes.

I would take Newton, lLuck, or Mallet.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dbair1967;3750614 said:
There's a vast difference between running a spread option offense (like college, ex Oregon, Utah, Florida, Auburn now) and running a 4-5 set "spread" offense in the NFL

The routes and reads are vastly different...there is absolutely no similarities that I see between those offenses and what New England or New Orleans does now.

Your first statement I absolutely agree with, there's no way in hell I'd go to a school that runs that gimmick offense if I thought I had any chance whatsoever of playing QB in the NFL one day.

I agree with you but with all that said it won't matter when it comes to Cam Newton...

He is going to be a bigtime QB in this league.

He has all the tools and he is a smart guy.

The guy is going to be a great QB in this league and possibly the best when guys like Manning and Brady step down.