Would you favor replacing Cooper Rush with Nick Foles?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/02/nfl-scouting-combine-draft-peter-king/
One of my favorite X factors is Foles, assuming, as many in combine hallways believe, that the Jaguars go with Gardner Minshew. Foles is 31, a Super Bowl MVP, a great team guy, a pocket guy in need of a good offensive line and outside weapons. The more I think of Foles, and the more I think of a landing spot if he’s not a Jag, I think I might be able to talk myself into the Colts. Makes a lot of sense, especially behind that line, and especially with how much help he’d be to Jacoby Brissett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/02/nfl-scouting-combine-draft-peter-king/
One of my favorite X factors is Foles, assuming, as many in combine hallways believe, that the Jaguars go with Gardner Minshew. Foles is 31, a Super Bowl MVP, a great team guy, a pocket guy in need of a good offensive line and outside weapons. The more I think of Foles, and the more I think of a landing spot if he’s not a Jag, I think I might be able to talk myself into the Colts. Makes a lot of sense, especially behind that line, and especially with how much help he’d be to Jacoby Brissett.

You should be more reasonable in your signing expectations.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Would I take him as a backup? Of course. I'm not sure he would take a backup role though. I also don't want to spend the money on him for him to be a backup.

Of all the guys who have been starters in this league I think Foles would be the one most likely to accept a backup role. He didn't seem to mind being a back up much in Philly. Kind of odd honestly. You don't see that much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would I take him as a backup? Of course. I'm not sure he would take a backup role though. I also don't want to spend the money on him for him to be a backup.

Of all the guys who have been starters in this league I think Foles would be the one most likely to accept a backup role. He didn't seem to mind being a back up much in Philly. Kind of odd honestly. You don't see that much.

I think that if he were to accept a backup role, it would be in Philly.

He loved it there and didn't want to leave but essentially had you when they chose to pay to keep Wentz for the long term. If he's anyone's backup, it will be there.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Aren't the Jaguars in a better position to keep him this year solely based on cap hit? He takes up cap space if they keep him, but a much larger cap hit in dead money if they part ways.

Gorgon

Reaction score

For an organization to admit this huge of a mistake would be astounding. Very, very few times do you see anyone put this much money into someone then give up. (I think maybe David Justice with the NY Yankees in baseball).

garyo1954

Reaction score
I think that if he were to accept a backup role, it would be in Philly.

He loved it there and didn't want to leave but essentially had you when they chose to pay to keep Wentz for the long term. If he's anyone's backup, it will be there.

I agree. Speculation has Foles going back to Philly.

The Colts have been linked to Phillip Rivers, Tom Brady, and Andy Dalton.
Brady's people did/then say they did not meet Colts at the combine. They did meet with the Raiders and Chargers,

Andy Dalton is also linked to the Patriots and the Bears.

GMO415

Reaction score
Duh.....yes. Some things you just don't over think it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, that don't look good for anybody. Unless some team could trade and rework his contract, looks like he's staying in Jacksonville.

Probably the reason he's not getting the Andy Dalton attention.

Based on his 2019? Why would anybody touch him? Or even worse, help the Jaguars out of the hind they're in?

No, Foles isn't going anywhere in 2020. He either starts for Jacksonville or he's the league's highest-paid backup in 2020.

Carson

Reaction score
If they both play on Rush’s contract ... obviously.

But Foles won’t. He will be paid more than we can afford for a backup.

Based on his 2019? Why would anybody touch him? Or even worse, help the Jaguars out of the hind they're in?

No, Foles isn't going anywhere in 2020. He either starts for Jacksonville or he's the league's highest-paid backup in 2020.
He will return to the only place he has been relevant... Philly

USArmyVet

Reaction score

No....but I would be in favor of replacing Dak with Tom Brady, Matthew Stafford, or Jordan Love.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Foles signed a pretty sizable contract just a year ago, so he is too pricey to be a backup.

garyo1954

Reaction score

JayFord

Reaction score
Yes

he’s a proven backup...won a super bowl along with SB MVP and has also had one of the greatest statistical seasons of all time tossing 27 tds to only 2 picks

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No to Foles, he will stay in Jacksonville as posted in previous replies.
Rush is a ERFA or an RFA. Just assume they move on from him also.

They have Thorsen on a reserves / futures contract, and was on the PS last season. Bring in another QB, FA or draft, let them compete.

Which brings the question, how many QB's did MM typically keep in GB?

shabazz

Reaction score
With Foles on the team we finish 11-5 and win the division last season

No doubt in my mind he wins the Saints, Patriots, and Eagles games.........probably wins the Bills game too.