Would You Hate This Mock

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I missed out on TEs, but there will be some beauties in UDFA.. Steals even, and there's always a blocking TE in FA we could bring in because I think our youngin's got use covered in the passing game, if we're effective running.

T-RO

Reaction score
What I like with your picks:
-Sanders at 58--that kid can mash. Another Sean Lee?
-Brents would be good value at 90. Nice backup addition. You can never have enough corners.

Don't like:
-Jalin Hyatt starts it off on the wrong track. He's a completely raw, unproven guy who looks incapable of hard cuts. It's just a bad, bad, bad WR class after the first two. Unless you want little slot guys. Hyatt is fast... played in a productive, but gimmicky offense. Ran like four routes.
-Don't think there's value in your sixth pick. Kirkland wouldn't make the roster, IMO. We've got four certainly better, and Josh Ball might squeeze him out of a 5th ranking.

Sweet spots in this draft are:
-Tight ends, which you didn't leverage.
-Edge--sad as we Cowboys are loaded there
-Running backs, but you might need to go a little higher to find the juice.

In the big picture, it's not a great draft class. You gotta know where the honey is.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
-Sanders at 58--that kid can mash. Another Sean Lee?
Is Sanders or Jack Campbell the best comparison to Lee?
Don't like:
-Jalin Hyatt starts it off on the wrong track. He's a completely raw, unproven guy who looks incapable of hard cuts. It's just a bad, bad, bad WR class after the first two. Unless you want little slot guys. Hyatt is fast... played in a productive, but gimmicky offense. Ran like four routes.
Speed for speed sake.

T-RO

Reaction score
Lee was never really a box LB, IMO.

Sean a lot of interceptions...some returned for touchdown. Lee brought the thump but was noticeably undersized. 6'2. I think in his later years he struggled to carry 225lbs. Lee's intelligence and anticipation were his strengths. With good range. Never much good as blitzer if he had to take on a blocker, nor bruiser if he met a big dude in the hole. He'd get it done, though!

Both Sanders and Campbell are in fact bigger guys.

T-RO

Reaction score
Looks good, but don’t think Sanders lasts til the 2nd.

He'll last into the second because linebackers have lower positional value. I've seen 100 mock drafts now, and maybe only a few times Sanders landed at the end of round one. Yes, I've seen him fall into late round 2. Again, LBs just aren't as valued these days.

And I should say: he's definitely not everyone's best LB.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
He'll last into the second because linebackers have lower positional value. I've seen 100 mock drafts now, and maybe only a few times Sanders landed at the end of round one. Yes, I've seen him fall into late round 2. Again, LBs just aren't as valued these days.

And I should say: he's definitely not everyone's best LB.
Have you seen him rush the passer?

Teams are going to view him as a pressure player the way we did with Parsons. He gives you a lot more than off ball LBr.

I’d bet a huge amount of money he isn’t available at 58.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not a fan.

Unless Hyatt was clearly the best player on the board at that pick, I can't justify a WR in the first. Unless there is an injury at WR, pretty much any WR taken at 24 is going to be the 4th WR and end up on the field for less than 200 snaps. Seems like bad ROI. Plus, it's unlikely the Cowboys move on from any of the Top 3 WRs in 2024. Lamb (unless there is some long range plan to just not pay him) will be back. Gallup's recent restructure guarantees he will be back. And Cooks is on the books for only a $10 million cap hit and would only save $4 million if cut, so he's likely back.

morasp

Reaction score
Good job, the first five picks look solid to me. I'd have to see who else was available on the last two.

Hyatt sounds like exactly what this offense has needed.

Overview
Long, slender wideout with deep speed that could force defensive coordinators to alter coverage considerations. Hyatt’s gliding gait disguises explosive acceleration that can lead to easy separation on deep throws. However, he does display inconsistency on contested catches comes. Hyatt is ordinary getting in and out of intermediate breaks and might be best with a limited route tree full of slants, crossers and a series of field-stretching patterns. Hyatt is an instantly credible WR2 with the ability to make a huge impact, but production could be erratic due to the limitations of his game.
Strengths
  • Top-end speed creates tension for defensive coordinators.
  • Run game will see lighter boxes out of defense’s respect for his explosiveness.
  • Tears into cushions and rockets past off-man coverage.
  • Maintains spacing from physical coverage getting into the route.
  • Runs focused vertical routes at crisp angles.
  • Glides into acceleration mode at route stems to separate.
  • Gets pitch-and-catch opportunities underneath against off-man.
  • Finished second in FBS with 15 receiving touchdowns.
  • Willing and effective as a perimeter blocker.
Sources Tell Us

“When you have someone who can run like Hyatt you get explosive catches but it also really benefits your running game because safeties can’t get involved as much. He reminds me a lot of watching Will Fuller when he was healthy.” -- Director of scouting for NFC team

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Good job, the first five picks look solid to me. I'd have to see who else was available on the last two.

Overview
Long, slender wideout with deep speed that could force defensive coordinators to alter coverage considerations. Hyatt’s gliding gait disguises explosive acceleration that can lead to easy separation on deep throws. However, he does display inconsistency on contested catches comes. Hyatt is ordinary getting in and out of intermediate breaks and might be best with a limited route tree full of slants, crossers and a series of field-stretching patterns. Hyatt is an instantly credible WR2 with the ability to make a huge impact, but production could be erratic due to the limitations of his game.
Strengths
  • Run game will see lighter boxes out of defense’s respect for his explosiveness.
Sources Tell Us

“When you have someone who can run like Hyatt you get explosive catches but it also really benefits your running game because safeties can’t get involved as much. He reminds me a lot of watching Will Fuller when he was healthy.” -- Director of scouting for NFC team
He'd be the 4th WR on this team for likely at least two years.

That's not the best ROI on a first round pick when the team says first round picks have to make an impact.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Overview
Strengths
Sources Tell Us

I think Cooks gives you some of this now, but he’s a short term solution.

Hyatts game speed is no joke.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hyatt would be a luxury pick at this point.

But this once again highlights the problem when you fail to do anything to kind of sure up other positions of need in FA. They have literally done nothing at DT. They have a need at interior OL if they are going to leave Tyler outside at OT. They certainly could use a TB to pair with Pollard.

Now if you had done something in FA to kind of sure up some of these, you can take a flier on a guy like Hyatt. But if they do nothing else in FA and then use a first round pick on a WR given their current roster set up, that's just chuckleworthy.

morasp

Reaction score
I think Cooks gives you some of this now, but he’s a short term solution.

Hyatts game speed is no joke.
Agree, Cooks was a good signing and he's under a two year contract but he probably isn't a long term solution. That trade was a huge improvement over the Joey Galloway/Roy Williams days.

morasp

Reaction score
He'd be the 4th WR on this team for likely at least two years.

That's not the best ROI on a first round pick when the team says first round picks have to make an impact.
A lot of people thought Zack Martin and Cee Dee Lamb were luxury picks. If they have a player rated higher that's available at 26 they should take him.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agree, Cooks was a good signing and he's under a two year contract but he probably isn't a long term solution. That trade was a huge improvement over the Joey Galloway/Roy Williams days.
Yea. I also could care less about how much MG is getting paid.

The Cowboys blew that contract and shouldn’t have reworked it - they need to get out of it after next year.

The way I see it Hyatt could split WR3 reps with Gallup.

morasp

Reaction score
Yea. I also could care less about how much MG is getting paid.

The Cowboys blew that contract and shouldn’t have reworked it - they need to get out of it after next year.

The way I see it Hyatt could split WR3 reps with Gallup.
If they do draft a burner at WR I would be curious to see if it would open the the run game and short to intermediate passing game.

Sydla

Reaction score
A lot of people thought Zack Martin and Cee Dee Lamb were luxury picks. If they have a player rated higher that's available at 26 they should take him.
Bad examples. We were not set at OG when we took Martin. In fact, that was the argument being made to take him as opposed to doing something flashy like taking Manziel. They had Leary but the other starting OG was Bernadeau most likely and they were looking for an upgrade (as they had done in the past).

Lamb? We only had Cooper and Gallup when we drafted him. Third WRs play a ton. So there was clearly a need that could be filled and Lamb ended up playing 730 snaps as a rookie as the 3rd WR.

Those aren't the two best examples.