Would You Hate This Mock

Sydla

Reaction score
Yea. I also could care less about how much MG is getting paid.

The Cowboys blew that contract and shouldn’t have reworked it - they need to get out of it after next year.

The way I see it Hyatt could split WR3 reps with Gallup.
You aren't going to split 3rd WR snaps with a guy who has like a $14 million cap hit. And what if he ends up rounding back into pre-injury form, which is possible? You seriously then going to pull him off the field for a rookie? And you can't cut him until the 2025 offseason, at the latest.

Hyatt is a nice player. If we didn't add Cooks, I would be interested. But there is little chance they are going to take what would most likely be a 4th WR for two years at 26. That's not how they handle their drafts. They don't typically take grab and stash prospects in the first round.

morasp

Reaction score
Bad examples. We were not set at OG when we took Martin. In fact, that was the argument being made to take him as opposed to doing something flashy like taking Manziel. They had Leary but the other starting OG was Bernadeau most likely and they were looking for an upgrade (as they had done in the past).

Lamb? We only had Cooper and Gallup when we drafted him. Third WRs play a ton. So there was clearly a need that could be filled and Lamb ended up playing 730 snaps as a rookie as the 3rd WR.

Those aren't the two best examples.
A lot of people thought a first round pick on an OG especially after spending one on Tyron was a waste of draft capital.

Cooper at the time was a good WR1 and Gallup was a good WR2.

Again my point is if they have a player rated higher than Hyatt they should take him but reaching for need especially in round one frequently fails.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If they do draft a burner at WR I would be curious to see if it would open the the run game and short to intermediate passing game.
It 100% would. He and/or Cooks are going to demand the Safeties playing back.

It’ll open up the short / intermediate passing game and help the running game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You aren't going to split 3rd WR snaps with a guy who has like a $14 million cap hit. And what if he ends up rounding back into pre-injury form, which is possible? You seriously then going to pull him off the field for a rookie? And you can't cut him until the 2025 offseason, at the latest.

Hyatt is a nice player. If we didn't add Cooks, I would be interested. But there is little chance they are going to take what would most likely be a 4th WR for two years at 26. That's not how they handle their drafts. They don't typically take grab and stash prospects in the first round.
I am to get the best players on the field. MG has never been a great player - he was a good 3 when he was playing with Cooper and Lamb pre injury and he’s never been a good separator…even pre injury. His pre injury ceiling is nowhere near Hyatts.

It was another dumb contract by the Jones and I’d be doing everything I can to get out of it after next season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I missed out on TEs, but there will be some beauties in UDFA.. Steals even, and there's always a blocking TE in FA we could bring in because I think our youngin's got use covered in the passing game, if we're effective running.

Can you post the 25 players drafted ahead of Hyatt or the top 10 available when you picked Hyatt?

Sanders is projected by many to get drafted before Hyatt...

Sydla

Reaction score
A lot of people thought a first round pick on an OG especially after spending one on Tyron was a waste of draft capital.

Cooper at the time was a good WR1 and Gallup was a good WR2.

Again my point is if they have a player rated higher than Hyatt they should take him but reaching for need especially in round one frequently fails.
Martin was a discussion on value of OGs. But to say we didn't have a need and Martin was a luxury pick is just wrong. We had a need at OG. The debate was should we fill it in the first round. We don't have a need at WR right now. Hyatt would be a pure luxury pick, using a first round pick on a guy who would be the 4th WR and maybe see 20% of the snaps his rookie year on a team that wants their first rounders to play and make an impact.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am to get the best players on the field. MG has never been a great player - he was a good 3 when he was playing with Cooper and Lamb pre injury and he’s never been a good separator…even pre injury. His pre injury ceiling is nowhere near Hyatts.

It was another dumb contract by the Jones and I’d be doing everything I can to get out of it after next season.
We can debate the contract all we want. But what's done is done.

They paid him. They restructured him. They clearly believe he's part of their future. They aren't benching him for a rookie.

There is little shot they are taking any WR at 26. That's not how they operate.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We can debate the contract all we want. But what's done is done.

They paid him. They restructured him. They clearly believe he's part of their future. They aren't benching him for a rookie.

There is little shot they are taking any WR at 26. That's not how they operate.
Maybe, maybe not.

They’ve held meetings with several of the top WR prospects in the class…I don’t imagine they’re doing that just for fun.

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not.

They’ve held meetings with several of the top WR prospects in the class…I don’t imagine they’re doing that just for fun.
They meet with guys all the time that there is a slim chance they'd draft. They could just be doing due diligence for the 2nd round. Because in that scenario, if a guy like Addison magically fell to our 2nd over his combine concerns, then they'd more likely to take him. Hyatt is way more attractive if he falls to 60 than at 26, I would wager.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Good job, the first five picks look solid to me. I'd have to see who else was available on the last two.

Hyatt sounds like exactly what this offense has needed.

Overview
Long, slender wideout with deep speed that could force defensive coordinators to alter coverage considerations. Hyatt’s gliding gait disguises explosive acceleration that can lead to easy separation on deep throws. However, he does display inconsistency on contested catches comes. Hyatt is ordinary getting in and out of intermediate breaks and might be best with a limited route tree full of slants, crossers and a series of field-stretching patterns. Hyatt is an instantly credible WR2 with the ability to make a huge impact, but production could be erratic due to the limitations of his game.
Strengths
  • Top-end speed creates tension for defensive coordinators.
  • Run game will see lighter boxes out of defense’s respect for his explosiveness.
  • Tears into cushions and rockets past off-man coverage.
  • Maintains spacing from physical coverage getting into the route.
  • Runs focused vertical routes at crisp angles.
  • Glides into acceleration mode at route stems to separate.
  • Gets pitch-and-catch opportunities underneath against off-man.
  • Finished second in FBS with 15 receiving touchdowns.
  • Willing and effective as a perimeter blocker.
Sources Tell Us

“When you have someone who can run like Hyatt you get explosive catches but it also really benefits your running game because safeties can’t get involved as much. He reminds me a lot of watching Will Fuller when he was healthy.” -- Director of scouting for NFC team
Is that Zierlein's write up? Because just to even it up he does grade him as boom or bust.

cnuball21

Reaction score
They meet with guys all the time that there is a slim chance they'd draft. They could just be doing due diligence for the 2nd round. Because in that scenario, if a guy like Addison magically fell to our 2nd over his combine concerns, then they'd more likely to take him. Hyatt is way more attractive if he falls to 60 than at 26, I would wager.
Guess we’ll find out in a month or so.

Worst case scenario for me is reaching on a specific position(s) (especially low value positions) so as long as that doesn’t happen I’m good.

morasp

Reaction score
Martin was a discussion on value of OGs. But to say we didn't have a need and Martin was a luxury pick is just wrong. We had a need at OG. The debate was should we fill it in the first round. We don't have a need at WR right now. Hyatt would be a pure luxury pick, using a first round pick on a guy who would be the 4th WR and maybe see 20% of the snaps his rookie year on a team that wants their first rounders to play and make an impact.
It's just opinion but I believe Hyatt would see more playing time than you are predicting and that he would have a big impact on the offense due to his unique skill set. I don't think having Cooks under contract for two years is a reason not to draft a talented WR.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It 100% would. He and/or Cooks are going to demand the Safeties playing back.

It’ll open up the short / intermediate passing game and help the running game.
Hang on, this isn't a Dak thread. Let's see how Dak performs when Cooks goes long before we start changing the playbook.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Hang on, this isn't a Dak thread. Let's see how Dak performs when Cooks goes long before we start changing the playbook.
I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to say here…but I’m not going to turn this into a pro / anti Dak thread so let’s stay on topic.

Speed l helps our offense and QB…we haven’t had a deep threat since forever.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's just opinion but I believe Hyatt would see more playing time than you are predicting and that he would have a big impact on the offense due to his unique skill set. I don't think having Cooks under contract for two years is a reason not to draft a talented WR.
How would he play more his rookie year? Look at the Cowboys history of 4th WRs and look at their snap counts.

Then factor in they just acquired Cooks and Gallup is being paid. They aren't going to pull those guys off the field for a rookie.

Finally, Hyatt definitely has a unique skill set but he's not exactly a polished WR. He would need some work. His route running is basic. He struggled at times getting off the LOS. His speed doesn't necessarily show up inside of 15 yards, where he had a suprising time getting separation on shorter routes. There were questions about his understanding of zone defenses as he often struggled to sit in the soft zones, instead running himself into coverage.

That doesn't mean he's not going to be a great WR in the NFL. But the reality is given the circumstances - Dallas already has three good to great WRs already - and Hyatt's likelihood his game needs refining, I think expecting him to just come in and have a "big impact" is a bit of a stretch.

morasp

Reaction score
How would he play more his rookie year? Look at the Cowboys history of 4th WRs and look at their snap counts.

Then factor in they just acquired Cooks and Gallup is being paid. They aren't going to pull those guys off the field for a rookie.

Finally, Hyatt definitely has a unique skill set but he's not exactly a polished WR. He would need some work. His route running is basic. He struggled at times getting off the LOS. His speed doesn't necessarily show up inside of 15 yards, where he had a suprising time getting separation on shorter routes. There were questions about his understanding of zone defenses as he often struggled to sit in the soft zones, instead running himself into coverage.

That doesn't mean he's not going to be a great WR in the NFL. But the reality is given the circumstances - Dallas already has three good to great WRs already - and Hyatt's likelihood his game needs refining, I think expecting him to just come in and have a "big impact" is a bit of a stretch.
Things happen Gallup may not return to form and this coaching staff is different about playing time than some in previous years. It's not like they would be drafting him in the top 15 and our late first round picks sometimes turn out to be really bad. Lots of WRs come into the league with questions about their ability to beat press coverage Jahan Dotson was the one last year and he was doing just fine until he got hurt. Look out if he does beat it though because they aren't catching him. Dez never learned how to run a route tree. Hyatt's skill set isn't his burst in the first 15 yards it's his instant acceleration out of his rout stem. You see it over and over against top college teams where he's even with two DBs and runs by them like they're standing still. He's also very good at tracking the deep ball. I think he can be valuable in the shorter passing game on comeback routs and crossers but that's TBD.

T-RO

Reaction score
Have you seen him rush the passer?

Teams are going to view him as a pressure player the way we did with Parsons. He gives you a lot more than off ball LBr.

I’d bet a huge amount of money he isn’t available at 58.

I like him a ton. One of the funnest players to watch in the draft. Would love in as a Cowboy, and with his Arkansas connection it could theoretically happen.

Maybe a good comp for the kid is Luke Kuechly. (Luke was both bigger and faster than Sean Lee) Size and 40 times are nearly identical. :oops:

(suspect we invest more in offense)

T-RO

Reaction score
Hyatt would be a luxury pick at this point.

But this once again highlights the problem when you fail to do anything to kind of sure up other positions of need in FA. They have literally done nothing at DT. They have a need at interior OL if they are going to leave Tyler outside at OT. They certainly could use a TB to pair with Pollard.

Now if you had done something in FA to kind of sure up some of these, you can take a flier on a guy like Hyatt. But if they do nothing else in FA and then use a first round pick on a WR given their current roster set up, that's just chuckleworthy.

On the contrary the Cowboys FO has been widely hailed across the league for doing exactly opposite what you are saying here. They've eliminated all the biggest needs. Good, deep roster. DT is not regarded as premium spot by league experts, and our o-line group which you assail features talent and depth that are the envy of many teams.

Hankins is on speed dial. At his age we shouldn't expect him to be full camp attendee. Osa, Bohanna and Gallimore sure aren't anything special, but they generally get the job done. I think they upgrade the position but it's not at all the 5-alarm situation some on this site make it out to be.