Would you interview just two people for your job?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought about including this in one of the multiple threads on the new hire, but feel it would just get lost and ignored. But I'd like to present this question, if you were hiring for a job, any job, much less the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Would you interview just two people and then call it a day?

This isn't just any "job". You are suggesting they didn't do due diligence. Just an assumption based on pure ego and ignorance...not a good combination.

You know WAY better than they...even though you have very little information about it. Good for you.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’ve interviewed people so many times and often knew the first or second person was the perfect fit and wished I could stop doing interviews, but that can get you sued in the real world. It’s a very painful and boring day or days when you have a pool of 5-6 interviews you must conduct, asking the exact same questions and trying to stay focused and listen to answers when you already know you’ve filled the job with the perfect person. I have no problem with Jerry interviewing only 2 candidates.

we already know he wasn’t going to hire a college coach and hope that guy was the opposite of what NFL history tells us about college coaches jumping to head coach in the NFL, and how likely was it that McDaniels would have been hired since he didn’t have a good track record as head coach. Right or wrong regarding what Jerry was looking for, the facts are that McCarthy checked all the boxes that no one else could.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Several opinions I hear from my friends are that players sabotaged the season to get rid of Garrett. I felt the same way after watching some of the plays that were just head shaking ridiculous. Makes sense. First time I have ever wanted us to lose was because of this past season.
I think your friend is crazy. I see no way players did that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy has just as good as a record as Sean Payton, and everyone on this forum is obsessed over him.
That's been discussed some over the last few days, and the response from some that I find humorous is that McCarthy should have been even better because he had Aaron Rodgers. It's like they just ignore the fact Payton has Drew Brees.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't just any "job". You are suggesting they didn't do due diligence. Just an assumption based on pure ego and ignorance...not a good combination.

You know WAY better than they...even though you have very little information about it. Good for you.

Oh look! It's that guy...
:facepalm:

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Several opinions I hear from my friends are that players sabotaged the season to get rid of Garrett. I felt the same way after watching some of the plays that were just head shaking ridiculous. Makes sense. First time I have ever wanted us to lose was because of this past season.

I doubt players did that intentionally, but I think you can only self motivate so much, when deep down you don't believe in what you're doing.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt players did that intentionally, but I think you can only self motivate so much, when deep down you don't believe in what you're doing.
Good observation. They certainly looked affected at times. I think Garrett lost the team last year. The internal turmoil didn't help.
It all comes to bear.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's been discussed some over the last few days, and the response from some that I find humorous is that McCarthy should have been even better because he had Aaron Rodgers. It's like they just ignore the fact Payton has Drew Brees.
We could make an entire argument about great HC’s and their QB’s who carried them.

I always thought that was a great argument with Landry as he had 4 different QB’s who he took to at least a championship appearance. I’m not sure anyone else in NFL history can state that?

But it’s rare to have long HC careers without that type of HOF QB. Parcells , Harbaugh and Ditka come to mind with those generational defenses without a HOF caliber QB. Gibbs perhaps but he had great QB performances in those 3 wins.And he might be the only HC to win 3 with 3 different QB’s.

Those just come to mind. There might be more examples.

And that’s been a knock on Payton and Mike . Only 1 ring with HOF QB’s. But of course still stretches with multiple championship appearances. Most of all they are always in it when their QB is healthy.

Its why I’ve lobbied so hard over the years to land a more Elite QB. It just makes it easier for everyone.

Last edited:

InTheZone

Reaction score
I’ve interviewed people so many times and often knew the first or second person was the perfect fit and wished I could stop doing interviews, but that can get you sued in the real world. It’s a very painful and boring day or days when you have a pool of 5-6 interviews you must conduct, asking the exact same questions and trying to stay focused and listen to answers when you already know you’ve filled the job with the perfect person. I have no problem with Jerry interviewing only 2 candidates.

we already know he wasn’t going to hire a college coach and hope that guy was the opposite of what NFL history tells us about college coaches jumping to head coach in the NFL, and how likely was it that McDaniels would have been hired since he didn’t have a good track record as head coach. Right or wrong regarding what Jerry was looking for, the facts are that McCarthy checked all the boxes that no one else could.
I'm sorry, but what establishment is able to get sued for their choice of hire? I'm assuming this company is in the US and not in China or the likes.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I thought about including this in one of the multiple threads on the new hire, but feel it would just get lost and ignored. But I'd like to present this question, if you were hiring for a job, any job, much less the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Would you interview just two people and then call it a day?
Interviews were a formality. They've known McCarthy for a long time, they knew he was who they wanted, and they interviewed Lewis to satisfy the Rooney rule. I don't know why anyone would buy the "they were blown away" nonsense. McCarthy didn't dream up a whole new way to coach football in the last year.

They wanted a veteran guy with a SB ring, he was one of the few available.