Would you mind two trade backs if

supercowboy8

Reaction score
At 14 I don't see Ingram or DeCastro being there and we need a impact player not just a good player overall that I could also find in the 2nd round. I would rather stock 2nd and 3rd round picks and and add an extra 1st next year. That way if there is a Von Miller or Eric Berry type player we can have ammo to trade up and get that player.

So would you mind trading back two times to where we are out of the 1st if we got this in return.
Trade back to Clevleand or Cincy and add a 2nd then trade back to the bottom of the 1st or start of the 2nd with a team like St. Louis plus a 3rd and next years 1st. Insert your own players to the spots below.

2nd 37th
2nd 39th
2nd 45th
3rd 66th
3rd 82nd

robert70x7

Reaction score
2nd 37th - Kendall Reyes - DE/DT, Connecticut

2nd 39th - Dwayne Allen - TE, Clemson

2nd 45th - Josh Robinson - CB, Central Florida

3rd 66th - Bruce Irvin - OLB, West Virginia

3rd 82nd - Ben Jones - C, Georgia

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would not mind trading back if Ingram or DeCastro were there at 14 but I would not be in favor of trading out of the first round entirely.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I never like being out of the 1st rd of the draft. I could see moving out of 14 but not out of the 1st rd completely

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Mine would be

2nd 37th OG Zeitler
2nd 39th DE Reyes
2nd 45th CB Boykin/Flemming/Robinson/Bentley
3rd 66th SS Harrison Smith
3rd 82nd C Jones

Next years 1st round I would try and get the best OLB Jarvis Jones. I would have two 1st next year so I could trade up and get him if needed.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4476342 said:
I never like being out of the 1st rd of the draft. I could see moving out of 14 but not out of the 1st rd completely

But even if it could net you 2 more 2nd and an extra 3rd and a extra 1st next year. Especially when one of those 1st would be one of the Rams 1st(most likley the Commanders first round pick next year)

robert70x7

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4476352 said:
Mine would be

2nd 37th OG Zeitler
2nd 39th DE Reyes
2nd 45th CB Boykin/Flemming/Robinson/Bentley
3rd 66th SS Harrison Smith
3rd 82nd C Jones

Next years 1st round I would try and get the best OLB Jarvis Jones. I would have two 1st next year so I could trade up and get him if needed.

I don't see us spending a 1st or 2nd round pick based on our offensive line moves through free agency. Maybe a third round pick. Their strategy has thrown everyone off it seems like, especially if they want Livings starting and Bernadeau battling for the center position.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
robert70x7;4476363 said:
I don't see us spending a 1st or 2nd round pick based on our offensive line moves through free agency. Maybe a third round pick. Their strategy has thrown everyone off it seems like, especially if they want Livings starting and Bernadeau battling for the center position.

Livings is a Holland replacement. He might be the starter for now but if a yound guy can replace him they have it. He is only here for a year or two so a young guy can develop. Bernadeau can battle for the starting Center spot but that doesn't mean he can't be replacec either.

I totally disagree. Niether of these guys make Dallas look at OG any less. Livings is one starter who is the other. Koiser, Holland, and Dockery are gone. Nagy and Arkin? May not be ready. Nagy was bad last year. I think if a good OG is there they will take him. Zeitler, Brooks, Silatolu I could see Dallas taking.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I would. With 3 second round picks and 2 3rds, plus 2 1st next year we could really build this team.

I have always felt this is a 3 year plan. We are in year 2.

Come away this year with:

2nd: Brooks/Reyes/Allen
3rd: Blake/Irvin

Next year:

2 1st - OLB/CB

That's quite a haul.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4476354 said:
But even if it could net you 2 more 2nd and an extra 3rd and a extra 1st next year. Especially when one of those 1st would be one of the Rams 1st(most likley the Commanders first round pick next year)

It would have to depend who was there at the time. I don't want to sacrifice quality for quantity.

I will say if we are talking a 1st in next years draft as part of this package then it does become and easier to do it.

robert70x7

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4476380 said:
Livings is a Holland replacement. He might be the starter for now but if a yound guy can replace him they have it. He is only here for a year or two so a young guy can develop. Bernadeau can battle for the starting Center spot but that doesn't mean he can't be replacec either.

I totally disagree. Niether of these guys make Dallas look at OG any less. Livings is one starter who is the other. Koiser, Holland, and Dockery are gone. Nagy and Arkin? May not be ready. Nagy was bad last year. I think if a good OG is there they will take him. Zeitler, Brooks, Silatolu I could see Dallas taking.

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I thought we still had Holland, but I agree that Livings can replace him. It just goes back to our original plan: trenches and secondary. All three should be taken within the first 4 rounds.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
No trading back

Take the best player available that fills a need and there are plenty of them too fill.

robert70x7

Reaction score
2nd 37th - Kevin Zeitler - OG, Wisconsin

2nd 39th - Jared Crick - DE, Nebraska

2nd 45th - Brandon Boykin - CB, Georgia

3rd 66th - Bruce Irvin - OLB, West Virginia

3rd 82nd - Jarius Wright - WR, Arkansas

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4476329 said:
I would not mind trading back if Ingram or DeCastro were there at 14 but I would not be in favor of trading out of the first round entirely.
This.
There is a point of diminishing returns. I've been fine with trading down (slightly) all along if we missed out on the value at 14, but I'm actually wary of even trading down as far as pick 22.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Trading back all the way into the 2nd round reeks of the "Don't worry folks, we're pretty much set up and we got everthing covered, so we're just drafting for backups and special teamers!!" mindset of 2009 and 1995 Drafts. We saw how those drafts went.

You don't get to draft in the Top 15 picks often (or at least you hope not). It's your "reward" for a suck season. Take advantage of it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the surface it would not seem too bad to trade back and get some good picks in the second and third round since there are options at CB and OG in that area.

However I still have bad feelings from the last time we did this type of thing and wound up having basically a Special Teams draft that we only have 3 people still on the team in McGhee, Butler and Phillips.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Bill Belichick hit on something in the book War Room. Round 1 tends to be made up of players who have good physical talent and production in college. Round 2 tends to be made up of players who have the physical talent but didn't have the production to be first round picks. Round 3 players typically are players who were productive in college, but don't have elite physical skills.

Round 2 picks tend to bust at a way higher rate than the should because people fall in love with their potential. People get caught up in the pre draft process and convince themselves that a player in Round 2 is just as capable as Round 1. However, there's probably a reason a one player is a consensus first round pick and the other guys isn't.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4476460 said:
Bill Belichick hit on something in the book War Room. Round 1 tends to be made up of players who have good physical talent and production in college. Round 2 tends to be made up of players who have the physical talent but didn't have the production to be first round picks. Round 3 players typically are players who were productive in college, but don't have elite physical skills.

Round 2 picks tend to bust at a way higher rate than the should because people fall in love with their potential. People get caught up in the pre draft process and convince themselves that a player in Round 2 is just as capable as Round 1. However, there's probably a reason a one player is a consensus first round pick and the other guys isn't.

I agree. However I think there is not much differance from the late 1st to the early 2nd.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
IMO, trading back is always a bad idea unless someone is willing to overpay for your slot.

Quality > Quantity

How many times have we seen the Cowboys trade back several times and we came away with lots of bodies that couldn't make the team?

In 2009 we traded back several times and ended up drafting 12 players. There are only three players from that draft still on the team. None of them can't sniff the starting lineup and all have been in the league for three years now. One is a back up (Victor Butler) that can't sniff a starting position. One of them is *still* the 3rd string QB (McGee) even though we've had the second string QB retire. The third one has played 2 games, has 1 reception, and spends most of his time on the practice squad. (Manual Johnson)

Don't trade back unless they are overpaying for that slot. Otherwise it just isn't worth it. I would rather slightly overdraft for a player I really want vs trading back and just taking two less talented players.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4476463 said:
I agree. However I think there is not much differance from the late 1st to the early 2nd.
There's a giant difference from pick 13-24 range vs picks 28-39 range. It is enormous.

We are talking guys like Darrell Revis, Jason Pierre-Paul, DRC, Orakpo, Derrick Johnson, Tommie Harris...almost every single year. Those guys were all almost exaclty the 14t pick or within one slot. It is amazing.

There are years recently where not a single Pro Bowler was picked in the 1st 15-20 picks of the 2nd round. There are, on average between 4-6 Pro Bowlers selected every year in the picks ranging from 13-24. Every year.

The odds are just so much better.