Would you offer Will Hernandez a modest contract

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So then you'd be ok with Collins to LG and Steele at RT?

I'm thinking that's what likely to happen. The pre June 1 savings on Collins isn't worth losing him and Steele needs to play full time in year three.

Then again we would then be spending 30 million on guards!

Grrrrr this team lol.

Yeah. I’d be OK with that if they’re keeping Collins. He’d be an improvement at left guard and Steele deserves the right tackle job.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah. I’d be OK with that if they’re keeping Collins. He’d be an improvement at left guard and Steele deserves the right tackle job.
That's what I'm thinking.

I do wonder if the staff thinks he can't play guard any longer, or if he doesn't want to move. We know he has a direct line to Jerry and if he doesn't want to do it he won't have to.

Of course those are all guesses, but I miss the roadgrader Ron Leary mentality. When he left, they got better on paper and worse as a unit.

It'd be REAL nice to not have to use 24 on OL.

Only thing with counting on Collins is he is one stupid move away from sitting a year out.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know he was high on our list coming out. In fact, if I remember correctly he spent time training with our OL before getting drafted. 2021 was not his best year, but part was moving from LG to RG. Spent his entire career at LG then had CV19 never got his job back ( see article below ). Noticed his PFF stats (below) 2018, 2019 and 2020 all at LG. Probably wouldn't take more than $3-4M to sign him.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/will-hernandez/46180?season=2021

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/will-hernandez-has-new-challenge-in-giants-contract-year/

Something our front office NEVER understands- free agents don’t go for “modest” deals just to play here. If anything, they want to be paid market value at minimum. Another reason why our FO kills us.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Something our front office NEVER understands- free agents don’t go for “modest” deals just to play here. If anything, they want to be paid market value at minimum. Another reason why our FO kills us.
They also need to do better getting "their guys" signed to more team friendly second contracts.

Don't know if that's doing it earlier or what, but our own players are signing top of the top of the market deals.

They get hosed on every transaction of that nature.

Maybe it isn't such a great idea to start negotiations by saying how great the player is and we will get them signed.....but there HAS to be that element of 'hey look at us.....we drafted this player and now he is a stud. Told you we knew our stuff.'

It just never ends.

quickccc

Reaction score
They also need to do better getting "their guys" signed to more team friendly second contracts.

Don't know if that's doing it earlier or what, but our own players are signing top of the top of the market deals.

They get hosed on every transaction of that nature.

Maybe it isn't such a great idea to start negotiations by saying how great the player is and we will get them signed.....but there HAS to be that element of 'hey look at us.....we drafted this player and now he is a stud. Told you we knew our stuff.'

It just never ends.

What do you considered " team-friendly " ?...per their 2nd contracts ?

Because assuming they are continuing the high level of '21 , we're not gonna get a Trevon Diggs, or Micah Parsons playing on " hometown discounts " and below market value.

Like it or not, You're gonna have to make them the highest paid at their respective positions, .. or let them walk and we re-start it all over again with trying to find core, cornerstone players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what I'm thinking.

I do wonder if the staff thinks he can't play guard any longer, or if he doesn't want to move. We know he has a direct line to Jerry and if he doesn't want to do it he won't have to.

Of course those are all guesses, but I miss the roadgrader Ron Leary mentality. When he left, they got better on paper and worse as a unit.

It'd be REAL nice to not have to use 24 on OL.

Only thing with counting on Collins is he is one stupid move away from sitting a year out.

If the team is truly about best using their resources, Collins should be moved to left guard. It gets Steele on the field at right tackle and it improves a weak position.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What do you considered " team-friendly " ?...per their 2nd contracts ?

Because assuming they are continuing the high level of '21 , we're not gonna get a Trevon Diggs, or Micah Parsons playing on " hometown discounts " and below market value.

Like it or not, You're gonna have to make them the highest paid at their respective positions, .. or let them walk and we re-start it all over again with trying to find core, cornerstone players.
They can do something.....like buying out a year or two on a rookie deal to get these guys to sign for more comfortable numbers.....or let some of them walk.

The return clearly isn't there and we shouldn't have to offer our own players deals on par with those that are needed to entice someone to move their family etc....

How many times have we made a player the current highest paid when they haven't really earned it?

Plenty.....and we haven't won, yet have cap problems.

quickccc

Reaction score
They can do something.....like buying out a year or two on a rookie deal to get these guys to sign for more comfortable numbers.....or let some of them walk.

The return clearly isn't there and we shouldn't have to offer our own players deals on par with those that are needed to entice someone to move their family etc....

How many times have we made a player the current highest paid when they haven't really earned it?

Plenty.....and we haven't won, yet have cap problems.

If we're talking about "core" players, .there shouldn't and not likely to be that many
those are your .Zack Martins, and Dak Prescott, ..

Now when those core players don't pan out, that's the nature of the game, and every NFL team just has to deal with the decline or disappointing expectations.
Even the Pats have known to release or move on from FA .. from key guys. ala CB Stephen Gilmore. ..

Key serious injuries, wear and tear toll, or just not meeting expectations of that re-signed huge contract.

- i cannot speak for the Clevelands, Jax's, Ravens, Cardinals direction and how they plan out their respective cap structure.. and i'm not always on board with how
Stephen ducks the idea of FA fishing for at least one sole impact vet guy that can help take us over the hump - which you do see the more playoff-SB competitor teams do
(Pat's with Matt Judon, Chiefs with Joe Thuney,..Cincy with Trey Hendrickson, etc.)

- But there are times when i am glad with Stephen's philosophy of not dishing out big contract money to "average" players.
i don't consider Byron Jones an average player - he's solid but nowhere near worthy of the highest paid CB in the NFL, .

.The Cowboys themselves did not consider Byron market value..and not convince he was a core player.
Not only did we not ruin our cap with re-signing Byron to such a mega contract, we also successfully (luckily?) found his permanent replacement in Trevor Diggs.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I see him as a better fit at guard. Hernandez’ body type better aligns with what we need at the guard position in my opinion. He could bring some drive and power to the run game that Williams can’t. Williams is better on the move, but struggles to actually push people off of the ball. And he can be bull rushed by power as well.

I think Williams is miscast as a guard and his and Biadasz’ lack of power really hurts our run game.
I think everybody would agree with that

fivetwos

Reaction score
If we're talking about "core" players, .there shouldn't and not likely to be that many
those are your .Zack Martins, and Dak Prescott, ..

Now when those core players don't pan out, that's the nature of the game, and every NFL team just has to deal with the decline or disappointing expectations.
Even the Pats have known to release or move on from FA .. from key guys. ala CB Stephen Gilmore. ..

Key serious injuries, wear and tear toll, or just not meeting expectations of that re-signed huge contract.

- i cannot speak for the Clevelands, Jax's, Ravens, Cardinals direction and how they plan out their respective cap structure.. and i'm not always on board with how
Stephen ducks the idea of FA fishing for at least one sole impact vet guy that can help take us over the hump - which you do see the more playoff-SB competitor teams do
(Pat's with Matt Judon, Chiefs with Joe Thuney,..Cincy with Trey Hendrickson, etc.)

- But there are times when i am glad with Stephen's philosophy of not dishing out big contract money to "average" players.
i don't consider Byron Jones an average player - he's solid but nowhere near worthy of the highest paid CB in the NFL, .

.The Cowboys themselves did not consider Byron market value..and not convince he was a core player.
Not only did we not ruin our cap with re-signing Byron to such a mega contract, we also successfully (luckily?) found his permanent replacement in Trevor Diggs.
Yeah I hear it, and I'm not really arguing here....

But the whole 'I'm not getting surgery unless I get 100 million,' and 'I'm going to Mexico until you give me the most ridiculously structured contract in history' has to end at some point.

There were three ugly episodes in recent history, they lost all three in a big way.....and exactly WHAT would you blame the current cap problems on??

Yeah....those.

We are about to see how botching those situations cost the team. Amari Cooper is probably the first.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I don't understand the want for Hernandez if you are running a zone scheme. He seems to be a classic man blocker. I am guessing if you would bring Columbo back and go to a man blocking scheme, he would be a great fit.

He would still get holding calls, but all linemen hold, it is just who the refs want to call for it that matters.

Carson

Reaction score
I don't understand the want for Hernandez if you are running a zone scheme. He seems to be a classic man blocker. I am guessing if you would bring Columbo back and go to a man blocking scheme, he would be a great fit.

He would still get holding calls, but all linemen hold, it is just who the refs want to call for it that matters.
I think it's a combination of

-From here and wants to be here
-We scouted him
-Works out in Dallas in the offseason
-Works out with Smith and Martin or Collins (I forget which one)
-Was much better at LG than RG
-Won't break the bank
-Allows more flexibility during the draft

speedkilz88

Reaction score

He moves better than you are giving him credit. He's in that Ronald Leary mold. But the Cowboys seem more of a man scheme these days anyway.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
seven sacks and 36 pressures allowed ..??

Naah, we don't need to be fishing for this kind of bargain binge product with our QB ....

That was last season after moving from LG to RG. Check out the stats for his first three seasons at LG, his home position since freshman year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I see him as a better fit at guard. Hernandez’ body type better aligns with what we need at the guard position in my opinion. He could bring some drive and power to the run game that Williams can’t. Williams is better on the move, but struggles to actually push people off of the ball. And he can be bull rushed by power as well.

I think Williams is miscast as a guard and his and Biadasz’ lack of power really hurts our run game.

He never played G ( high school or college ) prior to being drafted by the Cowboys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Williams_(American_football)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Will Hernandez likely won't be playing for the Cowboys, or any other team, for a "modest contract." His experience alone won't allow that. :facepalm:

Even if he did sign for the Cowboys at a reasonable contract rate, his tendency to get stupid penalties and looking to fight wouldn't serve us well.

Last edited: