Would you offer Will Hernandez a modest contract

fansince68

Reaction score
I know he was high on our list coming out. In fact, if I remember correctly he spent time training with our OL before getting drafted. 2021 was not his best year, but part was moving from LG to RG. Spent his entire career at LG then had CV19 never got his job back ( see article below ). Noticed his PFF stats (below) 2018, 2019 and 2020 all at LG. Probably wouldn't take more than $3-4M to sign him.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/will-hernandez/46180?season=2021

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/will-hernandez-has-new-challenge-in-giants-contract-year/

Only IF we are going to get a new O line coach that is TOUGH AND DEMANDING.

Carson

Reaction score
answer. NO
if he plays LG he’s a solid player.

According to Geoff Schwartz

Everything is awkward and different. I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I’d always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I’d switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside.

According to social media, switching from tackle to guard is the “easy” solution for a tackle who’s struggling. Not so fast my friend. If an offensive tackle has good hands, generally has good movement skills but might lack some foot quickness to play tackle, then moving inside could be productive. If an offensive tackle is struggling with his strike and punch location, plus has bad feet, then moving inside is a no-go. Things happen fast at guard. Your hands must be ready for action now. And if you miss with your hands, your base better be good so you’re able to recover.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if he plays LG he’s a solid player.

According to Geoff Schwartz

Everything is awkward and different. I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I’d always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I’d switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside.

According to social media, switching from tackle to guard is the “easy” solution for a tackle who’s struggling. Not so fast my friend. If an offensive tackle has good hands, generally has good movement skills but might lack some foot quickness to play tackle, then moving inside could be productive. If an offensive tackle is struggling with his strike and punch location, plus has bad feet, then moving inside is a no-go. Things happen fast at guard. Your hands must be ready for action now. And if you miss with your hands, your base better be good so you’re able to recover.

Another great point. And we need look no further than our own Connor McGovern. The guy is a different player at right guard vs the left side.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In my opinion, he would be a reclamation project. Based on the guy he was at UTEP coming out if the draft, and the one that played quite well in 2018-19.

The Giants screwed him up along with the rest of their offensive linemen. Look deeper into how many line coaches they’ve gone through since Hernandez was drafted. Then ask yourself if that turnover is conducive for success?
It's not like we have a good OL Coach, either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not like we have a good OL Coach, either.

I’m not sure that I suddenly think that Philbin is terrible because Williams and Biadasz struggled. He has a long successful track record prior to Dallas. And I think plenty of other linemen actually played well.

Does he get credit for Steele and others? Or just blame for Williams/Biadasz?

Creeper

Reaction score
I liked him coming out in the draft but he has been a disappointment. One of his pluses coming out of college is he was supposed to be strong. I have not seen that in the pros, at least I have not seen him use the strength to his advantage. The best thing I can say about him is he might be cheap, and he is no worse than Connor Williams no matter what PFF says. To me signing him would be a desperation move. I would rather the Cowboys go in another direction.

Then again, some guys benefit from a change of teams. Maybe he is one of those guys.

Section446

Reaction score
Says a lot if the team that drafted him isn't interested in giving him his first extension.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a lot of moves to make when you've got a great OL coach.
Oh snap....

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
I know he was high on our list coming out. In fact, if I remember correctly he spent time training with our OL before getting drafted. 2021 was not his best year, but part was moving from LG to RG. Spent his entire career at LG then had CV19 never got his job back ( see article below ). Noticed his PFF stats (below) 2018, 2019 and 2020 all at LG. Probably wouldn't take more than $3-4M to sign him.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/will-hernandez-has-new-challenge-in-giants-contract-year/

My buddy played with him at UTEP, they were recently together, I told him I’d hope the Cowboys come calling lol.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Sign him up. Cowboys need some fight in the trenches on both sides, at least Hernandez can backup both guard spots.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

No, he's terrible AND a turd