Would you pick up LVE 5th year option?

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's this offseason..... but not sure if it's April or May

As a former first-rounder, Vander Esch has a fifth-year option in his rookie contract available for the Cowboys to pick up next offseason. If they do so, it will extend the linebacker’s current rookie deal through 2022. But despite his past Pro Bowl-worthy performance, his rash of injuries since muddies that decision.
Ok yep. Thx.

I would also think a big part of that decision will be if Nolan is retained and he is going to continue the 4-2-5 base.

Also what they intend to do with 54 factors in as well.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't see a problem with picking up the 5th year. It's not going to cost that much. Also check out the new 5th year option rules.

I don't even think extending him would be expensive considering his injury history.

Praxit

Reaction score
..it is a tuffy. His quality of playing has gone down some since the surgeries. If we follow the data line, its probably going in same direction.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You don't think he's worth $7M for 1 year.......as a starter?
LVE has played 9 then 10 games the last two seasons.
Of the 10 games this year maybe 5 were "good" the rest he was not great and likely banged up pretty good.
And his snap totals are low for sure even in those 10 games.

You can get guys like that who play 8 good games a year for about 4M as an offball LB.

Healthy for 16 games then yes he'd be worth it.

I feel like there's no need to gamble and lock him in for GTD money when I can let him play out that year then hit free agency.
If he's great and leaves I can get a comp pick.
If he's solid but not great I can resign him for what would almost certainly be less than 7m in cap hit that first year.
Most likely he's what we used to think of as a 2 down LB.
A guy need to sub in and out.
To me that's a 4M a year type guy.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
No, and they should start the process of searching for a younger and healthier replacement now in the next two drafts if not this one.

LB corps needs two years of replacements to rebuild the unit. IF they can find two cornerstones, then they need to release Jaylon in two years.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd probably use the 5th year option but i'm not giving him another contract. Draft a midround LB to replace him, same with Jaylon. Invest early draft capital on the DL and CB's.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I would pick up his 5th-year option. Sean Lee still has a ton to teach LVE, it just might have to be as a coach.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I seriously want to see how LVE plays without Smith. I honestly believe Smith drags down this defense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sean Lee moves on and you add a R2 and/or R3 LB after this season. --you will have two R3 choices.
Rookie, LVE and Jaylon compete for 2 spots and rotate through them ideally in a near 67% of snaps each.
Then you get another LB the following year and decide if you resign LVE and release Jaylon or not based on how the LB play goes.

Tussinman

Reaction score
5th year option for this season for LB was just barely over 10 million fully guranteed. In that case hell no

The 5th year options are different for those drafted 2018 of after.

LVE does not meet the requirements now to get the max amount. You need either day 1 pro bowl roster or played in 75% of snaps from at least 2 out of your first 3 years.

From what i've ready it sounds like those that don't meet the full requirement still get a solid like 70-80% of the transition tag amount

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
That depends. How much does it cost to pick up the option?
That depends. Do we cut Jaylon Smith this year (yeah, I know. Wishful thinking)?
That depends. Do we have to pick up the option before the draft?
That depends. Who will be available in FA?

His neck does not seem to be a long term issue so that is in favor of picking up the option.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Don't we have another year to evaluate?

No! We have to decide this offseason, not sure if it's April or May though. In other words, if we decline his options, he's a free agent after 2021 ( next season). Interestingly it the same year we opt-out Jaylon Smith, DLaw, and Coops deals.

As a former first-rounder, Vander Esch has a fifth-year option in his rookie contract available for the Cowboys to pick up next offseason. If they do so, it will extend the linebacker’s current rookie deal through 2022. But despite his past Pro Bowl-worthy performance, his rash of injuries since muddies that decision.

J12B

Reaction score
I'm fine either way.

Haven't been happy with his play this season, but I still have hopes he can return to form in his rookie year.