would you put it past Jerry to take Cam Newton

JBS

Reaction score
I'll say this..if newton is available @ 40 we might be interested..tell me what the chances are of Newton being on board @ 40 and I'll match that % w the likelihood we take him @ 9

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3903338 said:
I'll say this..if newton is available @ 40 we might be interested..tell me what the chances are of Newton being on board @ 40 and I'll match that % w the likelihood we take him @ 9

Safe to assume that means no, Jerry learned his lesson with Quincy Carter and we can trust the Dallas GM with the 9th overall pick.

:nervous:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3903403 said:
Cam Newton will not be there at 9, sorry to inform all of you....
He's going to go #1 overall to Carolina or #4 to Cincinnati.

Jerry is not going to take a QB no matter who it is at #9.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;3903343 said:
Safe to assume that means no, Jerry learned his lesson with Quincy Carter and we can trust the Dallas GM with the 9th overall pick.

Huh? What do you mean? He learned not to draft Black QBs?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No one knows what Cam Newton will do in the NFL. After all is said and done, how do you think Cam Newton's career will compare to the likes of Steve Young, Donovan McNabb, and Dante Culpepper?

I wouldn't put it past Jerry Jones to take Newton at #9. Nor would I criticize him a lot if he did. QB is not a need as of now. But, one hit to Romo could change everything. And if Newton is the real deal, then Jerry Jones would have struck gold. With a year or two of learning, I think Newton is going to be a good QB. I hope Romo has another 5 productive years as the Cowboys QB. But, you just never know. And if rookie salaries are capped, Newton would have very good trade value in the near future.

I think it is very unlikely Cam Newton would be there at #9. And even more unlikely that Jerry Jones would take him.

Then again, the 49ers took Young when they had Montana. And I sort of remember a certain player named Steve Walsh being drafted. And didn't Jimmy Johnson volunteer to pick him up at the airport?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ninja;3903431 said:
No one knows what Cam Newton will do in the NFL. After all is said and done, how do you think Cam Newton's career will compare to the likes of Steve Young, Donovan McNabb, and Dante Culpepper?

I wouldn't put it past Jerry Jones to take Newton at #9. Nor would I criticize him a lot if he did. QB is not a need as of now. But, one hit to Romo could change everything. And if Newton is the real deal, then Jerry Jones would have struck gold. With a year or two of learning, I think Newton is going to be a good QB. I hope Romo has another 5 productive years as the Cowboys QB. But, you just never know. And if rookie salaries are capped, Newton would have very good trade value in the near future.

I think it is very unlikely Cam Newton would be there at #9. And even more unlikely that Jerry Jones would take him.

Then again, the 49ers took Young when they had Montana. And I sort of remember a certain player named Steve Walsh being drafted. And didn't Jimmy Johnson volunteer to pick him up at the airport?

Young was drafted by Tampa

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He likely won't be there at 9. If he is, I'm betting we trade down so some other team could take him there.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3903414 said:

Reach much? Like Carter, Newton has a ton of ability with a two-cent head. The same could be said for Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, etc.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3903414 said:

No but way back when Jerry took Quincy Carter he said that he was convinced after watching McNabb that the "Athletic QB" was the wave of the future.

He might have been sitting back all these years frothing over the next Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell.

:laugh2:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Avery;3903480 said:
Reach much? Like Carter, Newton has a ton of ability with a two-cent head. The same could be said for Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, etc.

What the heck kind of logic is that on the tails of the Dez Bryant pick? And don't say this is different b/c he's a QB -- you either take guys like that or you don't.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;3903488 said:
No but way back when Jerry took Quincy Carter he said that he was convinced after watching McNabb that the "Athletic QB" was the wave of the future.

He might have been sitting back all these years frothing over the next Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell.

:laugh2:

Yeah, Michael Vick is laughing right back at your post. Josh Freeman thinks it is pretty funny as well.

clutch88

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3903587 said:
Yeah, Michael Vick is laughing right back at your post. Josh Freeman thinks it is pretty funny as well.
I've said it before on this site..if Cam Newton is there at 9 you don't pass on him, if he ends up in the NFC or NFC east we will regret it like the Randy Moss debacle. You can take it to the bank people.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3903412 said:
He's going to go #1 overall to Carolina or #4 to Cincinnati.

Jerry is not going to take a QB no matter who it is at #9.

I think he slides to Washington at 10

would you want him the face of your frachise - not me - Danny Snyder does not care

I doubt if Riveria does either - I have Carolina - taking Dareuos or PP

1 Carolina - Dareous
2 Denver - Petersen
3 Buffalo – Gabbert
4 Bengals – Green
5 Cardinals – Quinn
6 Browns – J Jones
7 49ers – Prince
8 Tenn – Fairly
9 Dallas – Trade Down - Tyron Smith
10 Skins – Newton

Shrevedude1

Reaction score
It wouldn't be bad to see Dallas take Cam Newton, but I'm reasonably certain Carolina will take him.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3903587 said:

Over the years there havn't been many examples to support your commedy.

No matter how you slice the gravy the pro game is still about pocket presence and decision making over athleticism and elusiveness.