Would you rather have 2 extra 1st rd picks and

Creeper

Reaction score
As I do my research on the 2021 draft class, I am starting to think I'd rather have players as compensation instead of draft picks. The draft class this year looks weak to me with so many iffy players. I'd have to see the player first of course, but the concept is instead of potentially drafting a player who has not played in a year why not take a guy with a couple of years of NFL experience who is already producing the results I am looking for?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Holy false dichotomy, Batman! It's not like Dallas can just choose that option.

Someone has to be willing to give them 2 first round picks for the privilege of paying Dak $160 million for 4 years.

If Dak would take that contract, he'd already be signed with us.

But yeah, a new team would have to be willing to give up picks *and* still sign him to a contract he wants.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you saying two first-round picks this year?
How are we getting those?
Who is giving two 2021 first-round picks for Dak?

This is worse than fantasy.
I came in here late, so I'll ask how about just getting a top 10-15 first and second this year, with a conditional second or first in 2022? Many may say "NOT ENOUGH!", but it's certainly more realistic considering Dak is coming off an injury. Not hoping this happens, but the FO better have a plan B in mind.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would have done the Goff trade. But in the NFL if you don't have a QB you have nothing.
Part of the attraction for the Rams was they are getting a very good QB in Stafford at only 20 and 23 mil the next 2 years....leaving a good bit of room to add FAs around him.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
With the cap going down this year teams should be allowed to have two June first cuts. I say that because we have to get rid of some the high paid garbage we have on our team.

So, if the NFL allowed us to have two June first cuts, who would you cut?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
a ton of cap space to take advantage of the unprecedented free agent opportunities that will be available this year

or Dak on a short term deal at 40 per?

It's easy for me.

Easy for me too. Dak. Unless one or both of those two first round picks is a top 2 pick, good luck finding the next Dak. Heck, your going to have a hard time finding the next Dak anyway.

40 million, so thats going to build you a championship defense AND an elite QB? Interesting take. Any rookie QB or veteran you are going to sign will cost you at least 10 million per year. You going to win with Dalton? :lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

So now you have 30 million extra and either a journeyman QB or a rookie crap shoot.

Ok, so go out and sign one pro bowl caliber FA for our defense. Now your down to 10 million.

Dalton, FA pro bowler, 10 million or Dak? Not even close..............give me Dak.

And those two first rounders your going to use to try and find the next Dak...............Ill use this years 10th pick on defense.

Next question?

ghst187

Reaction score
I prefer to build the defense through the draft, and then add 1-2 key free agents if needed. That’s how every great Cowboys defense has been built since 1966. I also prefer to keep our QB and team leader rather than hope I can take a shortcut to building a defense at the cost of making our team’s only strength, Offense, weaker while we find a star QB or develop one.

We already have a great offense...keep it great. I’ll pair that with an improved average defense on the rise rather than have an average or above average defense with an average offense. You need to be elite on at least one side of the ball. You just cannot afford To be horrible on the other side.

charles Haley and Deion Sanders just got offended.

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
you would get 2 first for dak thats not a question at worst a 1st and a 2nd and yes this option is way better then resigning dak. dak coming back next year on a contract gets us 8-8 or 9-7 for the next few years at least with the picks and money we can rebuild.

ghst187

Reaction score
Spend all that money on free agents with no QB? Yeah, riiiiiiiight.

Also keep in mind we brought in some FAs to help the D last offseason and Poe, Griffen ended up cut mid season and McCoy goes to IR. So that’s not guaranteed either plus...what great FA is out there that we could go sign? All the players we’d really covet would require a lot of cash PLUS picks....Simmons at FS? He just got tagged. Jamal Adams would’ve required top picks...
The only players that remain usually are guys with red flags and we just tried that last year.
I think many are oversimplifying the decision calculus here. The only top D FA and can even think of that cost no picks recently was JJ Watt (can’t be much left) and Clowney (really want to give him a top tier contract?).

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
With the cap going down this year teams should be allowed to have two June first cuts. I say that because we have to get rid of some the high paid garbage we have on our team.

So, if the NFL allowed us to have two June first cuts, who would you cut?
Um. "June 1st" cuts aren't like Franchise tags. You can, and always have been able to, cut as many as you want after June 1st.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Also keep in mind we brought in some FAs to help the D last offseason and Poe, Griffen ended up cut mid season and McCoy goes to IR. So that’s not guaranteed either plus...what great FA is out there that we could go sign? All the players we’d really covet would require a lot of cash PLUS picks....Simmons at FS? He just got tagged. Jamal Adams would’ve required top picks...
The only players that remain usually are guys with red flags and we just tried that last year.
I think many are oversimplifying the decision calculus here. The only top D FA and can even think of that cost no picks recently was JJ Watt (can’t be much left) and Clowney (really want to give him a top tier contract?).
Just because some of them didn’t work out last year doesn’t mean the picks this year won’t. So sounds like you just want to give up.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The savings between Prescott and his potential replacement isn't anywhere NEAR what people around here want to make of it.

I also wish he would be perfect, but the idea that he can be replaced with any draft pick is a joke.

ghst187

Reaction score
Just because some of them didn’t work out last year doesn’t mean the picks this year won’t. So sounds like you just want to give up.

just saying those guys were bargain bin guys and they didnt pan out. Griffen was highly touted on this board and a middle tier FA...and got flat out cut. so we go and pay big money for Leonard Willams...and it doesn’t work out...or injury...? Much Bigger risk. Frankly there aren’t a lot of big name FAs floating around out there either. And we spend all that money on D and go with Dalton at QB....easily could be much much worse

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
a ton of cap space to take advantage of the unprecedented free agent opportunities that will be available this year

or Dak on a short term deal at 40 per?

It's easy for me.

Let me turn that light bulb on for you. You say put the non-exclusive tag on Prescott and some team gives him an offer higher than the highest offer the Cowboys has offered Prescott so the Cowboys get two 1st round draft picks. Now here's where the light should go on. That's only one first round pick in the 2021 draft AND in the mean time in 2021 the Cowboys have no QB so that means they either have spend some to a lot of that so called money saved by not signing or exclusively tagging Prescott to get a QB good enough to actually help the Cowboys or they will have to spend valuable draft capital to draft a QB and hope that he is another Mahomes who actually sat for a year before he got his chance. Oh BTW QB's like Mahomes don't come around every year.

Now the other choice is to hang on to the franchise QB they have. Now that choice is easy, keep the franchise QB they already have instead of gambling that they get another QB as good as what they have.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
you would get 2 first for dak thats not a question at worst a 1st and a 2nd and yes this option is way better then resigning dak. dak coming back next year on a contract gets us 8-8 or 9-7 for the next few years at least with the picks and money we can rebuild.
8-8? Next few years?

PROVE IT.

I Dare you.......