Twitter: Would you sign Baker Mayfield as a backup if he accepts role and is cheap?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
…. Definitely sounds like he thinks the Browns will go with Watson. There was a time when he was much more promising, and I have a hard time holding last year against him with all those injuries. Get some competition in there for Dak! Even Aikman was challenged up until the Super Bowl win.

You honestly think Jerry wants to create competition for Dak? The golden boy who we bet the future on? Jerry would rather tank the next 3 years.

quickccc

Reaction score
…. Definitely sounds like he thinks the Browns will go with Watson. There was a time when he was much more promising, and I have a hard time holding last year against him with all those injuries. Get some competition in there for Dak! Even Aikman was challenged up until the Super Bowl win.

- Colts really wanted to make a pitch at Watson too,.. but Division foe Houston says hell naaah !

- ATL is said to be very interested , but what value does 38 yr old Matt Ryan really has ??

- Cleveland is tired and unconvinced of Baker. Kyler is not far behind in that area with cardinals

- Watson has a no trade clause so preference is still very much dependant upon his choice.

But lets get real .. Baker is not gonna opt for a cheap bargain backup QB when it's still so many more desperate QB needy teams

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm not sure Houston's current quarterback isn't as good as baker.
Agreed. Mills showed some flashes last year. A little grooming and he might not be bad for Houston. He could at least keep their ship afloat.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Most assuredly, mate!
A new head start, a slighty better climate and the prospect of a plateaued Dak can be added enticements for Mayfield.
Blimey!
I'd love to see Mayfield coached up and throwing to Gallup.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I lost interest in Baker Mayfield after he got truck tackled by a 40 year old state trooper while trying to avoid being arrested a few yrs back, lol. He’s vastly overrated.

Besides he wouldn’t take a backup role at this point when teams would pay big money for him as a starter. He’s at least a couple years away from backup roles.

Flamma

Reaction score
I lost interest in Baker Mayfield after he got truck tackled by a 40 year old state trooper while trying to avoid being arrested a few yrs back, lol. He’s vastly overrated.

Besides he wouldn’t take a backup role at this point when teams would pay big money for him as a starter. He’s at least a couple years away from backup roles.

The QB market has become so high that its kind of locking out decent but not great QBs. You know Baker and Lamar aren't going to accept under market value offers. Murray wants to be traded to a team that will give him a contract.

So what's left? Bounce around from team to team playing for less trying to prove something? Wouldn't it be easier to admit you're not Patrick Mahomes and take a smaller contract? Nope. They won't do it.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We'd have to trade for him, I assume, so I'm not interested in that.

would be an interesting trade…

3 more seasons of Dak. He’s UFA/no tag after 2024.

next year we have to look for a QB.

why not go early?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Saying yes to Baker just shows the, "throw it against the wall" mentality, that the DFT has been known to use for 26 years.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Dak needs security and his safety blankets....not competition. I dont think he's the guy that thrives on pressure.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably go to the Colts. They seem to be one of the few teams left desperate for a QB.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Mayfield isn't ready to be a backup. His pride couldn't handle it.

conner01

Reaction score
if the browns trade for Watson, you don't think Houston would get Baker?
That’s a bit complicated because of his contract situation
Texans would need a contract agreement before they’d want to make trade
If he goes to Texans his bad start to a career will die a slow death lol