Twitter: Would you sign Baker Mayfield as a backup if he accepts role and is cheap?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield is going to be the starter in Cleveland, at least until Watson is done serving his suspension. I’d guess Goodell will give him 12 games which might get reduced to the 8-10 range.

Mayfield has requested a trade and Cleveland has agreed. Doubt he remains with Browns.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Mayfield has requested a trade and Cleveland has agreed. Doubt he remains with Browns.

Yeah, agreed, that won't happen. His agent won't let him lame duck Watson's masseuse creepiness. I think I'm more reluctant to agree with all of you who think he'll start. If Sam Darnold got another shot, so will Mayfield. Which is sad, because I do want some competition for Dak.

I mentioned Aikman, well hell, even Landry didn't anoint Staubach without some heavy competition from Morton, including taking turns. There really was no competition between Dak and Romo. Pressure is good for anyone in any walk of life. He's not that $40m QB yet, so let's push him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, agreed, that won't happen. His agent won't let him lame duck Watson's masseuse creepiness. I think I'm more reluctant to agree with all of you who think he'll start. If Sam Darnold got another shot, so will Mayfield. Which is sad, because I do want some competition for Dak.

I mentioned Aikman, well hell, even Landry didn't anoint Staubach without some heavy competition from Morton, including taking turns. There really was no competition between Dak and Romo. Pressure is good for anyone in any walk of life. He's not that $40m QB yet, so let's push him.

I don't mind pushing him, I will say this team can't afford a top QB to come in to back up and or push Dak. Unlike Staubach and Morton there was no FA and no cap. Now days your backups are guys with some experience but on tail end and who have busted with their former team or a young guy who is on a rookie contract.

blueblood70

Reaction score
…. Definitely sounds like he thinks the Browns will go with Watson. There was a time when he was much more promising, and I have a hard time holding last year against him with all those injuries. Get some competition in there for Dak! Even Aikman was challenged up until the Super Bowl win.

yes for sure but he wont

plenty of options for starting type guy..ATL most likely..need bridge..he wont be a backup unless he has shot at taking he job,.

Nexx

Reaction score
Almost 4500 yards passing along with a franchise record 37 TDs and a career high 68.8 completion percentage and you’re calling Dak mediocre? He also tied a franchise record with 5 TD passes in a game. We had the number one offense in the league last season. Yes he didn’t play very well the second half of the season but he’s not a mediocre QB.

so going just by stats since you seem like a stat only guy. youre basically telling me that Dak is a better QB or just as good as Brady, Herbert, Stafford, Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Rogers? Because if you compare just raw stats he stacks up with the best of them. To me he isnt anywhere near those guys. He more like Kirk Cousins who had 4221 yards 33 TD's 66% completion and nearly identical passer rating 103.1 vs 104.2. Now for QB's who had inferior stats, Jackson and Murray, and Wilson I would rather have either one of those three vs Dak .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
so going just by stats since you seem like a stat only guy. youre basically telling me that Dak is a better QB or just as good as Brady, Herbert, Stafford, Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Rogers? Because if you compare just raw stats he stacks up with the best of them. To me he isnt anywhere near those guys. He more like Kirk Cousins who had 4221 yards 33 TD's 66% completion and nearly identical passer rating 103.1 vs 104.2. Now for QB's who had inferior stats, Jackson and Murray, and Wilson I would rather have either one of those three vs Dak .

I’m not only going by stats and I’m not saying he’s better than Brady or Mahomes. He led us to 11 wins last season and a division title. He has a 53-32 QB record. The reason the Rams went after Stafford was because he put up numbers. He’s also a INT machine. He led the league in INTs last season. Cleveland is moving on from Mayfield because he doesn’t put up numbers and isn’t consistent. Teams don’t move on from productive QBs unless they want out like Stafford did in Detroit. By the way Justin Herbert hasn’t made the playoffs in his first two seasons. The only reason you mentioned him is because he put up big numbers last season. Deshaun Watson was putting up big numbers in Houston but they weren’t winning. Cleveland gave up a ransom fee for him because he’s very productive so don’t tell me stats don’t matter.

Nexx

Reaction score
I’m not only going by stats and I’m not saying he’s better than Brady or Mahomes. He led us to 11 wins last season and a division title. He has a 53-32 QB record. The reason the Rams went after Stafford was because he put up numbers. He’s also a INT machine. He led the league in INTs last season. Cleveland is moving on from Mayfield because he doesn’t put up numbers and isn’t consistent. Teams don’t move on from productive QBs unless they want out like Stafford did in Detroit. By the way Justin Herbert hasn’t made the playoffs in his first two seasons. The only reason you mentioned him is because he put up big numbers last season. Don’t tell me stats don’t matter.

how much of that is predicated on the team's talent? i would argue the roster was stacked enough last year that they should have at least won the first playoff game but our QB was horrible. he was the one holding the team back.

sunalsorises

Reaction score

Maybe not but Cleveland is going to need a quality starter for a large chunk of time. Maybe they wait until some team gets a little more desperate.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
how much of that is predicated on the team's talent? i would argue the roster was stacked enough last year that they should have at least won the first playoff game but our QB was horrible. he was the one holding the team back.

Matt Stafford put up big numbers in Detroit on teams that had little talent. Deshaun Watson put up over 4800 yards and 33 TDs on a Houston team that went 4-12. Dak was on pace for over 6000 yards in 2020 on a Cowboys team that went 6-10 without him most of the season. We had the number one offense while he was in the lineup in 2020. Our production and points plummeted without him. We had the number one offense last season. There’s not a QB in the league that’s had more 400 yard passing games than him the past five years. Our QB wasn’t the reason we didn’t win a playoff game. We have a bunch of underachievers on this team that aren’t as good as they look on paper. Dak didn’t play his best game in the playoffs but he was far from horrible. The coaching and team around him just isn’t very good. We came ou for the playoffs looking flat. We got whipped in the trenches by a more physical team. Our OL regressed as the season went on. We’ve just dumped two starters on the OL. We had no running game at the end of the season or in the playoffs. Our QB isn’t our problem.

Motorola

Reaction score

Jones is not bringing in a young former starter to be Prescott's backup - unless it's someone like Gardner Minshew.

Adreme

Reaction score

The Browns cannot really afford to have a 19 million backup on the roster which is what his cap number is and it is all guaranteed. They have to trade him and it will feel like they gave him away.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Baker Mayfield is going to be the starter in Cleveland, at least until Watson is done serving his suspension. I’d guess Goodell will give him 12 games which might get reduced to the 8-10 range.

No way is Baker Mayfield going to want to start for Cleveland until Deshaun Watson serves a possible suspension. He wanted out before the trade went down. The trade for Watson completely fractured their relationship.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
No way is Baker Mayfield going to want to start for Cleveland until Deshaun Watson serves a possible suspension. He wanted out before the trade went down. The trade for Watson completely fractured their relationship.

He might not have a choice. Who still needs a QB? Seattle? Maybe Carolina?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He might not have a choice. Who still needs a QB? Seattle? Maybe Carolina?

You could argue Washington still needs a QB. lol Miami might want to bring in someone to compete with Tua. Houston needs a QB. New Orleans might be interested. I don’t believe Ryan Tannehill will ever get Tennessee over the hump so maybe they might want to bring in Mayfield to compete. I just can’t see Mayfield starting for the Browns next season when he knows he’s going to be replaced as soon as Watson is available. He’ll have a choice to either show up or not but I feel they’ll trade him before the start of next season. Something could go down soon or on draft day.

Last edited:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
In what world is Baker Mayfield...in the final year of his deal...going to be a backup QB here or anywhere? If he's released, there's a handful of teams where he would at least be the odds on favorite to start. He's definitely the starter in Houston, and I know some of you guys will assume if Houston wanted him, then he would have been included in the trade. I'd say, Houston didn't want him at the expense of one of the draft picks they got. In Pittsburgh, he beats out Trubisky. In Detroit, he beats out Goff. In Atlanta, he beats out Mariota. In Carolina, he beats out Darnold. In New Orleans, he beats out Winston. And he definitely beats out Drew Lock in Seattle.

The problem he's going to run into is, most of these teams are in a rebuilding stage, so he won't have much to work with.

Indy would have been an excellent landing place for him, and I don't know if they possibly inquired and thought the asking price was too high or if they just weren't interested, but he has to be annoyed that they dealt for Ryan

sunalsorises

Reaction score
You could argue Washington still needs a QB. lol Miami might want to bring in someone to compete with Tua. Houston needs a QB. New Orleans might be interested. I don’t believe Ryan Tannehill will ever get Tennessee over the hump so maybe they might want to bring in Mayfield to compete. I just can’t see Mayfield starting for the Browns next season when he knows he’s going to be replaced as soon as Watson is available. He’ll have a choice to either show up or not but I feel they’ll trade him before the start of next season. Something could go down soon or on draft day.

That $19 million price tag is going to be tough on a team to bring him in just to compete. The trading team could extend him and get some relief but I wonder if anyone believes in him that much. Cleveland might have to wait for an injury, as ghoulish as that sounds, to create more of a market.