Would you sign Dak for 5-years, $175 million?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At a higher rate. As long as you realize that A.) A new coaching staff will almost certainly realize that Dak is better than any realistic option...by a wide margin and B.) QB salaries will continue to climb because Mahones, Watson and a few other will blow past this current ceiling and you'll end up paying more, then sure, this is a good strategy.

Are Mahomes and Watson in line for extensions this coming year? I honestly don't know.

CPanther95

Reaction score
At a higher rate. As long as you realize that A.) A new coaching staff will almost certainly realize that Dak is better than any realistic option...by a wide margin and B.) QB salaries will continue to climb because Mahones, Watson and a few other will blow past this current ceiling and you'll end up paying more, then sure, this is a good strategy.

It'd be different if you were able to save a significant amount of money, but Dak is already looking for a record setting contract.

Getting another year to evaluate is cheap insurance.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Cap is going up more than usual in 2021, and will probably increase more than usual every year afterwards as they divvy up % revenue splits, and NFL making record revenues across all the sectors of the original deal.

So, the real question is, if you DO tag him, that tryout year on the tag will immediately erase $13m in extra cap for 2020, as his first year deal would have otherwise been about $20m, as opposed to $33m guaranteed on the tag.

But also, the whole "tryout" year to see if he earns the spot, if you actually decide to keep him, that $110m guaranteed just turned into about $150-160m guaranteed and is a $200m+ over 6 years, because you gave him $33m guaranteed on the tag for one year rental, and his price just went up on his contract. Tag + deal + cap going up.

Or, he doesn't earn it, and God help our souls if Jerry Jones has 1st round picks trying to find a QB. Now you're in the "search", how many premium picks would that be? Would we rather have those picks, with a new coach, going to BPA and using cap space on Dak? We also run the very real risk of a new coach, who actually might be halfway decent, getting handed a huge risk in a rookie QB, how long does that coach last if the guy just isn't very good? That happens. Quite often.

For me? Depends on the coach, I guess. Give me someone who I think may be able to Shanahan it up, or any halfway decent coach that actually gameplans with his weapons, Meyer would probably work. I'll use the cap space for Dak, and use my picks on BPA, with cap heading north. I think the team is underachieving, and I think if we got someone in here who could coach worth a damn, was willing to cut Crawford, and actually emphasized getting some talent at DT, S, coaching these guys up, and getting them prepared for real NFL games, Dak would be just fine.

After seeing what a discombobulated mess this entire team is, I think Dak can only improve under a coach who can get at least one unit on the team playing halfway decently.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look around I'm not the only one....that kind of money for Dak is a JOKE!
I know, I'm just picking on you.

The money for a QB1 is a joke and it's only going to get funnier from here on out. It's not about the quality of the player in a comparison; it's about the need for a QB1 and the available options.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Id give him a 4yr fully guranteed deal for more money then what Wentz, Goff and Wilson will make.

4yr 120mil full guranteed. thats 13mil more then what any of these guys will make in the same 4 yrs. But will have a lower cap hit then all 3.

Not sure how you're calculating this, but Wentz signed a 4 year 128 million dollar deal ($32 million AAV) and Goff signed a 4 year 132 million dollar deal ($33 million AAV). I assume because both of those deals kick in in 2021 and Dak's would kick in in 2020. If that's the case, it's far more advantageous for him to get tagged at $25 million or so as opposed to getting an additional $5 million in 2020 and cash in, in 2021 where he'll exceed $35 million in AAV easily as opposed to $30 million which equals at least $20 million over the course of the deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is year 3 for both, and they are extension eligible this year just like Wentz and Goff were heading into this year.

Thanks. In that case, it is a significant factor in potential Prescott negotiations.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It'd be different if you were able to save a significant amount of money, but Dak is already looking for a record setting contract.

Getting another year to evaluate is cheap insurance.

I actually think they would be saving a lot of money. Mahomes will almost certainly blow the current highest AAV for a QB out of the water. If it's $35 million now, expect $40+, jmo. That allows guys like Dak to start approaching $38 or $39 million, depending on how much Mahomes gets. And don't make the mistake of letting Baltimore sign Lamar Jackson after the 2021 season before we sign Dak. Because Lamar Jackson will eclipse Mahomes as well.

Ron12

Reaction score
I actually think they would be saving a lot of money. Mahomes will almost certainly blow the current highest AAV for a QB out of the water. If it's $35 million now, expect $40+, jmo. That allows guys like Dak to start approaching $38 or $39 million, depending on how much Mahomes gets. And don't make the mistake of letting Baltimore sign Lamar Jackson after the 2021 season before we sign Dak. Because Lamar Jackson will eclipse Mahomes as well.
Mahomes is way ahead of Dak no way he gets over 30 million a year!

CPanther95

Reaction score
The problem Dak has trying to leverage a contract sooner rather than later is that he's already priced in the expected increase in QB salaries next year into his demands. He's asking for Top 1 or 2 money now because it will only be top 5 or 6 money in a couple years.

So waiting until Mahomes signs for big bucks doesn't change anything. In fact, it changes that hypothetical rising ceiling Dak's agent is cautioning the team about into a hard tangible ceiling.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Thanks. In that case, it is a significant factor in potential Prescott negotiations.

Yes. Regardless of his play, he was at his cheapest prior to Goff and Wentz signing their deals. Considering his current AAV, Dallas should have taken advantage and signed him prior to those 2. His price is still in line with their deals imo, but will jump significantly after Mahomes and Watson sign. It will jump again, if we're foolish enough to not sign him before Lamar Jackson the following year after Mahomes and Watson.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Because Dallas is going to have to start paying those players sooner rather than later. Is there actually enough there for another coach to come in and win or do some personnel changes have to be made to fit a different coaching philosophy?

Any coach that comes in here is going to see enough talent to win right away. Most would agree that if we were to bring in a coach who can match other coaches with scheme, gameplan, and in-game adjustments we will see at a minimum of 3-4 more wins immediately. Some new pieces yes but a full turnover of roster isn't needed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. Regardless of his play, he was at his cheapest prior to Goff and Wentz signing their deals. Considering his current AAV, Dallas should have taken advantage and signed him prior to those 2. His price is still in line with their deals imo, but will jump significantly after Mahomes and Watson sign. It will jump again, if we're foolish enough to not sign him before Lamar Jackson the following year after Mahomes and Watson.

It's a concern, but I still lean towards a franchise tag and letting a new coach decide.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Mahomes is way ahead of Dak no way he gets over 30 million a year!

And you clearly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to QB contracts. Yes, Mahomes is way better than Dak, thus why I said Mahomes will eclipse $40 million. But to suggest that Dak would get less than $30 million, is ridiculous.