Would you take Earl Thomas at #27?

RamziD

Reaction score
This per a UT messageboard:

This should may be a different thread but Suzanne Haliburton is in on a teleconference with Mel Kiper who is making some interesting statements:

- Kiper thinks tim tebow is an nfl H-back, not a quarterback.

- Said earl thomas now is a late first, early second round pick. It's thomas' size

- Kiper just said sergio kindle has mid first-round draft grade.

- Kiper is projecting jordan shipley as third to fourth rounder.

- He thinks Colt McCoy — rated the No. 3 quarterback on his own draft board, behind Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen — will be a second rounder, but said the Horns quarterback could drop to as low as the fourth round.

If Thomas were to drop to #27 we should jump all over him. Heck, if he even makes it to the 20s we should actively try to move up to take him.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
RamziD;3284454 said:
This per a UT messageboard:

This should may be a different thread but Suzanne Haliburton is in on a teleconference with Mel Kiper who is making some interesting statements:

- Kiper thinks tim tebow is an nfl H-back, not a quarterback.

- Said earl thomas now is a late first, early second round pick. It's thomas' size

- Kiper just said sergio kindle has mid first-round draft grade.

- Kiper is projecting jordan shipley as third to fourth rounder.

- He thinks Colt McCoy — rated the No. 3 quarterback on his own draft board, behind Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen — will be a second rounder, but said the Horns quarterback could drop to as low as the fourth round.

If Thomas were to drop to #27 we should jump all over him. Heck, if he even makes it to the 20s we should actively try to move up to take him.

I would love it if he fell to us. Kiper might want to tell Tebow that he is an "H" so that he'll stop wasting all that time revamping his throwing motion.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
I think if he's there in the early 20s, Wade will try to convince Jerry to trade up for him. He fits everything we try to do on defense.

Any team that doesn't take him because of his size, will prove to be short-sighted and narrow minded in the near future. Plus, he's purportedly running in the 4.3s right now in preparation for the combine. Having him on the field, will be having another playmaker on the field and virtually 3 CBs in the base defense.

Mayock, supposedly might be considering ranking him higher than Eric Berry, pending review of Berry's 08 tape.

So to answer your question, yes.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Kiper doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground.

....but I hope he's right about Shipley. I'd LOVE to get Shipley in the fourth round. :D

DFWJC

Reaction score
tomson75;3284468 said:

....but I hope he's right about Shipley. I'd LOVE to get Shipley in the fourth round. :D
:laugh2: I disagree a lot with him too....but he knows more because of his research than 99% of everyone else. The guy does do his homework on individual players, but I just don't think he's that great at predicting where they will be drafted.

RamziD

Reaction score
tomson75;3284468 said:

I agree on all points. I don't think Kiper knows what he's talking about. Thomas will be picked in the top 15 but we can all still hope and dream, right?

These are my 2 other UT-homer picks:

WR Jordan Shipley (can you say Wes Welker v2.0?)
DT Lamarr Houston, Jr.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DFWJC;3284477 said:
:laugh2: I disagree a lot with him too....but he knows more because of his research than 99% of everyone else. The guy does do his homework on individual players, but I just don't think he's that great at predicting where they will be drafted.

Actually, its been proven year after year that Kiper has been outperformed at his job by almost all of his peers with similar job responsibilities. He's a hero to ESPN slaves, but IMO, he is not much better than many of the hardcore football fans out there. He simply has more access....yet fails to do much with it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like to hear what Kiper has to say but do not look at him as a draft guru, the man has no back ground at all as a scout or a GM who has had to make the tough calls for real.

DFWJC

Reaction score
tomson75;3284483 said:
Actually, its been proven year after year that Kiper has been outperformed at his job by almost all of his peers with similar job responsibilities. He's a hero to ESPN slaves, but IMO, he is not much better than many of the hardcore football fans out there. He simply has more access....yet fails to do much with it.
I see you have personal issues with old Kiper. That's cool. :D

I'm no huge fan, but I think nothing is "proven" if you are referring to his projections on how a player will do in the NFL (he has a good record vs his peers and even NFL GMs) and not referring to where the players will be drafted (his record is average compared to his peers).

VACowboy

Reaction score
ET is less than an inch shorter and 2-4 pounds lighter than Ed Reed.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Maybe some would be stupid enough to think he is another BoB Sanders, a guy who can make plays but too small and could not take the punishment.

Reaction score
Earl Thomas Won't Be There At 27. Its Not Happening ! Mayock puts Kiper to shame btw in terms of draft knowledge player reports etc.

DFWJC

Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3284593 said:
Earl Thomas Won't Be There At 27. Its Not Happening ! Mayock puts Kiper to shame btw in terms of draft knowledge player reports etc.
Kind of like how Kiper liked Chris Johnson a lot and Mayock said he was only a straight line runner who was not tough enough and could not play except on 3rd downs? :D I know, I know, they all miss plenty of times...but Mayock really beat up on CJ pre-draft.

Reaction score
DFWJC;3284596 said:
Kind of like how Kiper liked Chris Johnson a lot and Mayock said he was only a straight line runner who was not tough enough and could not play except on 3rd downs? :D I know, I know, they all miss plenty of times...but Mayock really beat up on CJ pre-draft.

Well obviously none of them are going to hit every prospect dead on..Kiper has made some really dumb calls on some prospects as well, its part of the business. I think Mayock overall though is more reliable and accurate. Even Todd Mcshay is good.