Would You? Tony Romo for Torrey Smith

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
I'm not usually one to entertain hypothetical trade scenarios, but this one stands out as being mutually beneficial.

From the 49ers perspective, it would allow them to acquire a veteran QB to mentor what is almost certain to be a rookie QB selected with the 2nd overall pick. Plus it would allow them to unload Torrey Smith, which they tried but failed to do prior to this year's trade deadline.

Once upon a time Mike Shanahan tried to sign Tony Romo as an undrafted free agent believing he would be a good fit for his offense. Now his son is the favorite to become the 49ers head coach. I know there's speculation Shanahan would trade for Kirk Cousins,but any trade for Cousins would almost certainly have to involve the 2nd overall pick. As efficient as Cousins is, he just isn't worth that much. In this scenario, the 49ers could take their QB of the future, then have him learn from Romo for a year or two.

It would also make sense for Dallas. They get something in return for Romo rather than having to release him outright to avert the drama that is sure to follow with another year of Romo on the roster. Not to mention that Smith would be a clear upgrade over Terrance Williams and Brice Butler, both of whom are free agents.

I'm not one for predictions, but I could see this happening.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Torrey Smith? that has one more year in the league max.