Would you trade a first round pick for Derrick Brown?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Many fans/posters have been screaming for an elite DT.........

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...nt=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitte
2022 NFL trade deadline: 3 players the Dallas Cowboys should consider trading for
Trades the Cowboys should consider to upgrade the roster before the NFL deadline hits.

DT Derrick Brown, Carolina Panthers
Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images
Defensively, the Dallas Cowboys have been pretty spectacular this season. But like in years past, their run defense leaves much to be desired. If they want to improve in that area dramatically, placing a call to the Carolina Panthers, a team who could be starting to rebuild, about the availability of Derrick Brown would be a tremendous step in the right direction.

The 24-year-old, and former seventh overall pick by the Panthers in 2020, has developed into one of the better defensive tackles in the entire league. He doesn’t offer a lot of juice as a pass rusher, but his ability as a run defender in the interior of the defensive line is among the best in the entire league. His addition in the middle of the Cowboys DL would likely make them the most rounded and dominant defensive units in the league.

Here's his contract......
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/derrick-brown-

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was very high on Derrick Brown coming out of the draft. I would love to get him

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I liked him a lot coming out of college but haven't watched a lot of their games. DT is an area where I understand the thought of upgrading. I struggle to determine how much I believe any one DT would improve the team though, thus how much I would "pay" is difficult to answer.

I guess the good news is that our roster is solid enough that it's not an easy decision to decide where you can \ should upgrade.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not for a first round pick. I like Brown a ton but one thing I don't worry about is Dallas drafting and much rather keep our picks and get a rookie for 5 years

That's just it, many have been saying we need to get serious about the DT position or stopping the run.

kskboys

Reaction score
I liked him a lot coming out of college but haven't watched a lot of their games. DT is an area where I understand the thought of upgrading. I struggle to determine how much I believe any one DT would improve the team though, thus how much I would "pay" is difficult to answer.

I guess the good news is that our roster is solid enough that it's not an easy decision to decide where you can \ should upgrade.
If you have a DT who covers a large area, which includes having the movement skills/lateral agility/quick feet to cover side to side, it makes other players better due to them having less ground to cover.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Absolutely. You get him for this year, next year, and you get rights to his 5th year option. I'll take a top DT coming into his prime years for a 1st round pick that should be pretty late in the draft.

If I'm Carolina I'm not sure I would take a projected pick in the 20-30 range for Brown, I would ask for more.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Simple question ........10 seconds, name the last Pro Bowl DT we had..... times up (lol).

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Carolina may be a mess on offense but they can build a defense around Brown. I doubt they want to trade him. DJ Moore on the other hand..... whats the point of having a top WR and no Qb to get him the ball? Panthers might go for that trade and we like trading for wrs. Its about the only position Jerry will trade to upgrade.

cnuball21

Reaction score
As much as I like him no due to his contract running out soon.

It’s also a pretty nice DT class on the horizon so Is try to sign a FA and double dip in the draft if possible.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Absolutely. You get him for this year, next year, and you get rights to his 5th year option. I'll take a top DT coming into his prime years for a 1st round pick that should be pretty late in the draft.

If I'm Carolina I'm not sure I would take a projected pick in the 20-30 range for Brown, I would ask for more.

Bingo!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, if I'm giving up a 1st, I want a playmaker pocket collapser type like Wilfork, Reader, Kenny Clark. Trading for top players means you have to pay him.

nathanlt

Reaction score
I think the Dallas defense is fearsome right now. Trading away a first round pick should put a playmaker in an area of urgent need, like a ProBowl LG with plenty of years left. DT isn't that urgent of a need. It would be more likely to use a 2nd round pick worst case scenario for a Pro Bowl LG, though. I'm against trading away a first round pick.

quickccc

Reaction score
Many fans/posters have been screaming for an elite DT.........

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...nt=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitte
2022 NFL trade deadline: 3 players the Dallas Cowboys should consider trading for
Trades the Cowboys should consider to upgrade the roster before the NFL deadline hits.

DT Derrick Brown, Carolina Panthers
Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images
Defensively, the Dallas Cowboys have been pretty spectacular this season. But like in years past, their run defense leaves much to be desired. If they want to improve in that area dramatically, placing a call to the Carolina Panthers, a team who could be starting to rebuild, about the availability of Derrick Brown would be a tremendous step in the right direction.

The 24-year-old, and former seventh overall pick by the Panthers in 2020, has developed into one of the better defensive tackles in the entire league. He doesn’t offer a lot of juice as a pass rusher, but his ability as a run defender in the interior of the defensive line is among the best in the entire league. His addition in the middle of the Cowboys DL would likely make them the most rounded and dominant defensive units in the league.

Here's his contract......
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/derrick-brown-

If Derrick Brown is not an impact pass rusher, ala Chris Jones, Quinton Williams, Jeffrey Simmons or Jon Allen,

.I'm not for giving up a first round for a run stopper.
Maybe a 2nd or 3rd (at best) - for a young elite run stopper, .. but not a 1st rounder.

lkelly

Reaction score
This is a front office that wouldn't draft a DT in the first round if they were staring at a collection that included Warren Sapp, Ndamukong Suh and Quinnen Williams at pick 24. You honestly think that they would give up a first for a run stopping DT that is almost half way through his rookie deal? Odds are higher that Jerry stops giving interviews and attends AA meetings.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
In a heartbeat...I get the feeling people throw around the term pocket-pusher and use sack numbers to make that determination. Derrick Brown causes havoc on the DL whether sack numbers tell the story or not. He was drafted in the 1st for a reason and is worth A 1st Rounder (but not the multiple 1's I think Carolina wants).

Carson

Reaction score
As much as I like him no due to his contract running out soon.

It’s also a pretty nice DT class on the horizon so Is try to sign a FA and double dip in the draft if possible.
He still this year, next year and then a 5th year option. So 3 more years on a cheap deal.

There isn’t a game changing DT in this class especially where we will pick in the 20s. The draft is great to build. But this is the reason why teams like Eagles, Rams, Bills have been improving/near elite. They aren’t afraid to make moves to put them over the top.

Brown puts this defense from very good to elite.