Would you trade a first round pick for Derrick Brown?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the Dallas defense is fearsome right now. Trading away a first round pick should put a playmaker in an area of urgent need, like a ProBowl LG with plenty of years left. DT isn't that urgent of a need. It would be more likely to use a 2nd round pick worst case scenario for a Pro Bowl LG, though. I'm against trading away a first round pick.
Oh, it is urgent. But not for any DT, must be highly disruptive. That's what's missing from this D to take us to the next level. Unless you don't like super bowls, then our DT's are fine.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Simple question ........10 seconds, name the last Pro Bowl DT we had..... times up (lol).

True, but how many teams have won SB's without All Pro DT's? I haven't looked but my guess is more than not.

You need very solid play from your interior no doubt but is the difference between very solid & pro bowl in one player worth the investment? Also, could I get better overall team by maybe upgrading the LB at perhaps a lower investment cost?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He doesn’t offer a lot of juice as a pass rusher,

The top DTs in the league all offer pass rushing ability - just look at the Pro Bowl DTs from last year and their sack totals:

Aaron Donald 12.5, Chris Jones 12.5, Cameron Heyward 10.0 and on and on. Calais Campbell was one of the few with low sack totals, but even he had 1.5.

I can draft DTs who do one or the other all day long, not trading away a good player for one that can't do it all...

Hardline

Reaction score
If we keep winning and moving further down the draft I would trade a 1st rounder for him .

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That's just it, many have been saying we need to get serious about the DT position or stopping the run.
I actually like our DT right now even in the run game. The biggest problem I see is the LBers, most noticably Leighton and Barr. They don't have great athletic ability to go sideline to sideline and are more read and react guys. That's why rpo gave them so much trouble against Philly.

Just my opinion though

DFWJC

Reaction score
A 4th round pick gets you guys like Robert Quinn and Ioannidis.

You aren’t landing a premier DT on a rookie contract for a 4th
Yeah, that was a head-scratcher.
Premier player at age 24

I don't see Carolina's young defensive layers being shopped.
They do have several others that could go though--including McCaffery and those older DEs.

Xavier187

Reaction score
I would try a package deal. If we are making a trade this means we are hoping to go far in the play offs.

That said late 1st rounder.

I would offer Hill and a 2nd rounder and a Future 7th rounder that could turn into more if we re-sign him to a long term deal.

Then turn and flip our 1st rounder and Jalen Tolbert to the Jets for Elijah Moore and Jeremy Ruckert.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Many fans/posters have been screaming for an elite DT.........

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...nt=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitte
2022 NFL trade deadline: 3 players the Dallas Cowboys should consider trading for
Trades the Cowboys should consider to upgrade the roster before the NFL deadline hits.

DT Derrick Brown, Carolina Panthers
Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images
Defensively, the Dallas Cowboys have been pretty spectacular this season. But like in years past, their run defense leaves much to be desired. If they want to improve in that area dramatically, placing a call to the Carolina Panthers, a team who could be starting to rebuild, about the availability of Derrick Brown would be a tremendous step in the right direction.

The 24-year-old, and former seventh overall pick by the Panthers in 2020, has developed into one of the better defensive tackles in the entire league. He doesn’t offer a lot of juice as a pass rusher, but his ability as a run defender in the interior of the defensive line is among the best in the entire league. His addition in the middle of the Cowboys DL would likely make them the most rounded and dominant defensive units in the league.

Here's his contract......
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/derrick-brown-
I dont know why fans torture themselves into believing certain players are available when they arent. Carolina isnt trading Brown. There isnt any actual speculation they are considering outside Cowboys fans saying "Hey, lets trade for Derrick Brown!"

Its like with Quinnen Williams a year ago. At least with Williams there was at least some speculation they were actually considering moving him

Havic

Reaction score
No. Max a 2nd and a player on an expiring contract like Hill.

jaybeware

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but after seeing the RPO the eagles ran...I'm all in to get Roquan Smith...make him one of the highest paid LB's...knowing a few years later we will do it again when it's time to sign Micah. But Brown would be my next priorty after securing the defense for the next 4yrs.

timb2

Reaction score
Not interested in Derrick Brown. He hasn't done much.

The player I want off Carolina is TE Tommy Tremble. The guy is a great blocker. He could be had for a 4th I believe.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would try a package deal. If we are making a trade this means we are hoping to go far in the play offs.

That said late 1st rounder.

I would offer Hill and a 2nd rounder and a Future 7th rounder that could turn into more if we re-sign him to a long term deal.

Then turn and flip our 1st rounder and Jalen Tolbert to the Jets for Elijah Moore and Jeremy Ruckert.
Hill has been one of our better DT's. Why trade him?

Xavier187

Reaction score
Hill has been one of our better DT's. Why trade him?
He is ok he isn't a big run stuffer cheap under control and may help aquire the man eater Derrick Brown. Basically he has value as we speak. May never have this kinda value again. Or I could be wrong.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’d give up a 2nd.

Brown is probably a top 10/12 ish DT but he doesn’t bring the same pass rusher juice a Jones / Simmons / Donald etc bring…