Would you trade him for Dak?

funkytown

Reaction score
I love what Dak is doing here in Dallas. The leadership, the poise, the accuracy, decision making, etc, etc. I firmly believe he's the future. We have not seen this type of excitement for a young player, especially at QB, in a long time here in Dallas.

But I want to change the conversation a little and look at some hypotheticals which involve the other young QB's in the league. A would you trade Dak right now for QB X or QB Y.

We have spent countless hours debating Dak vs. Romo or Dak vs. Wentz. but lets compare Dak versus the careers of some of the QBs around his age (23). Most of these guys have more experience than Dak but with varied results. A few guys were top 5 picks. This is just for fun and conversation sake.

Dak Prescott - Age 23. 4th round pick. Rookie year. 3-1 as a starter. Stepping up for a team that desperately needed quality QB play after losing their starter for the 2nd season in a row. 3 Tds and 0 ints.

Would you trade Dak for any of these guys?

Jameis Winston- Age 22. 2nd year. Former Heisman trophy winner and National Champion. #1 overall pick. Over 4,000 passing yards and 22 Td's as a rookie. 7-13 so far as a starter in the NFL.

Marcus Mariota- Age 22. 2nd year. #2 Overall pick. 2,800 passing yards and 19 Td's as a rookie. 4-12 as a starter.

Derek Carr- Age 25. 3rd year. 2nd Round Pick. Has improved stats each year. 3,200 yards and 21 Tds as a rookie to almost 4,000 yards and 32 Td's in his second season. Carr is lighting it up in his 3rd season 9 Td's to 1 int. 13-23 as a starter on a much improved Raiders team

Blake Bortles- Age 24. 3rd season. #3 Overall pick. Big jump from season 1 to season 2. Threw for 2,900 yards and 11 Tds rookie year but broke out with a 4,400 and 35 Td season in year 2. Interception prone with 41 career ints. Hard to praise him or fault him for his stats due to playing on such a bad team that is always throwing the ball. 9-25 as a starter.

Jimmy Garapolo- Age 24. 3rd season. 2nd round pick. Very limited stats in 13 games played, but has looked like a future star in his short time. Coached by Belichick and the under-study of Brady has to give him an edge on the field.

Before the year started it might have been a no-brainer to trade our 4th round pick for any those guys. But now you've seen him on the field. You've seen him play great with a star on his helmet. He's the future. Would you trade him for another teams future at QB?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I love what Dak is doing here in Dallas. The leadership, the poise, the accuracy, decision making, etc, etc. I firmly believe he's the future. We have not seen this type of excitement for a young player, especially at QB, in a long time here in Dallas.

But I want to change the conversation a little and look at some hypotheticals which involve the other young QB's in the league. A would you trade Dak right now for QB X or QB Y.

We have spent countless hours debating Dak vs. Romo or Dak vs. Wentz. but lets compare Dak versus the careers of some of the QBs around his age (23). Most of these guys have more experience than Dak but with varied results. A few guys were top 5 picks. This is just for fun and conversation sake.

Dak Prescott - Age 23. 4th round pick. Rookie year. 3-1 as a starter. Stepping up for a team that desperately needed quality QB play after losing their starter for the 2nd season in a row. 3 Tds and 0 ints.

Jameis Winston- Age 22. 2nd year. Former Heisman trophy winner and National Champion. #1 overall pick. Over 4,000 passing yards and 22 Td's as a rookie. 7-13 so far as a starter in the NFL.

Marcus Mariota- Age 22. 2nd year. #2 Overall pick. 2,800 passing yards and 19 Td's as a rookie. 4-12 as a starter.

Derek Carr- Age 25. 3rd year. 2nd Round Pick. Has improved stats each year. 3,200 yards and 21 Tds as a rookie to almost 4,000 yards and 32 Td's in his second season. Carr is lighting it up in his 3rd season 9 Td's to 1 int. 13-23 as a starter on a much improved Raiders team

Blake Bortles- Age 24. 3rd season. #3 Overall pick. Big jump from season 1 to season 2. Threw for 2,900 yards and 11 Tds rookie year but broke out with a 4,400 and 35 Td season in year 2. Interception prone with 41 career ints. Hard to praise him or fault him for his stats due to playing on such a bad team that is always throwing the ball. 9-25 as a starter.

Jimmy Garapolo- Age 24. 3rd season. 2nd round pick. Very limited stats in 13 games played, but has looked like a future star in is short time. Coached by Belichick and the under-study of Brady has to give him an edge on the field.

Before the year started it might have been a no-brainer to trade our 4th round pick for any those guys. But now you've seen him on the field. You've seen him play great with a star on his helmet. He's the future. Would you trade him for another teams future at QB?
Nope.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Straight up, player for player, no way would I trade Dak for any of those players.

31 'real' GMs are wondering how they could have screwed up and not taken Dak. And I guarantee all those 31 GMs are asking their scouts why they were so wrong, assuming it was the scouts who were soured on Dak.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
No. Carr is the only player even worth considering on that list, but no. Dak has done nothing to make me think "Gee, I wish the Cowboys had (insert name here)". He's playing as well or better than everyone on that list except Carr, so let's appreciate what we have, and see where he can take us.

funkytown

Reaction score
Straight up, player for player, no way would I trade Dak for any of those players.

31 'real' GMs are wondering how they could have screwed up and not taken Dak. And I guarantee all those 31 GMs are asking their scouts why they were so wrong, assuming it was the scouts who were soured on Dak.

We might as well say 32 GMs are questioning their scouts and questioning their own evaluations. We waited all the way until the 4th to grab him. Our 2nd pick in the 4th. And its well documented that we tried to trade up for Lynch and Connor Cook. But we got him and that's all that matters now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
would not trade for any of those QB. Dak has started 4 games when looking at guys like Carr who I think is a very good QB yet his numbers over his 1st 4 games were not as good as Dak. I think Dak will continue to develop just as Carr has and I think Dak future is very bright. I will stay with a winning hand.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
no

Id trade him for one of these though

Rogers, Cam, Russell, Luck

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jimmy Garapolo- Age 24. 3rd season. 2nd round pick. Very limited stats in 13 games played, but has looked like a future star in his short time. Coached by Belichick and the under-study of Brady has to give him an edge on the field.

Dak is cheaper and has 4 years remaining on his rookie deal.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Very tough. I'm not 100% sure anyone on this list is going to be a star. From an odds perspective, maybe one of them will be at most. If pressed, I think Carr is the best prospect.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Winston would be NFL MVP with this line. Blake as well and Carr isn't suffering from a horrible line. Sign me up but not a reality and Dak is perfect for this team's philosophy.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

Give me Andrew Luck and you got a deal