Would you trade up for OU's Peterson?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hey ABQ, as you know, I love Peterson too. But do you have any concerns that his style is almost too hard on his body? I love how hard he runs and the punishment he dishes out to would-be tacklers, but that also means that he takes a lot of big hits, too.

He's shown he's tough as heck in playing through shoulder problems and that high ankle sprain last year -- there's definitely no question about his heart or his talent. I just hope his body holds up over the years.

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I completely agree but the premius here is that either Romo or Henson are deemed the long term answer.

well, you answer that and then we won't have to worry about it... IMO there is more of a chance JJ works out then Romo or Henson...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
In my opinion OU made a mistake last year with Peterson, after the initial injury had they sat him for a game or 2 he would not have had to deal with the nagging injuries all season long. This season will be big for Peterson to show his skills and durability after all OU will feed him the ball often.

I agree with this but OU really had nothing else last year. They had Bomar but he was a Freshman so I think they felt like they needed to have Peterson there for Bomar to have any chance at all. JMO of course.

I do agree thou. He really played hurt coming into the 1st game and never got an opportunity to heal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I agree with this but OU really had nothing else last year. They had Bomar but he was a Freshman so I think they felt like they needed to have Peterson there for Bomar to have any chance at all. JMO of course.

I do agree thou. He really played hurt coming into the 1st game and never got an opportunity to heal.

True but face it the early games in the season are normally against weak teams that you should be able to overcome without risking a key member of the team. They faced Tulsa, UCLA and Kansas State, out of those teams only UCLA was a real challenge but they are not a team you have to beat to win the Big 12. Had they rested him and allowed him to heal they could have faced Texas with a healthy Peterson and it would have allowed them a chance

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:
well, you answer that and then we won't have to worry about it... IMO there is more of a chance JJ works out then Romo or Henson...

Well, I guess I could start another Romo or Henson thread. It's off season, I'm just looking for something new to beat the drum on.

:laugh2:

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Well, I guess I could start another Romo or Henson thread. It's off season, I'm just looking for something new to beat the drum on.

:laugh2:

haha ya, the offseason sucks... but, TC is right around the corner...

but, the answer is no... I wouldn't trade up for a RB... at least not as far as I think they'd have to trade up to get Peterson...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Hey ABQ, as you know, I love Peterson too. But do you have any concerns that his style is almost too hard on his body? I love how hard he runs and the punishment he dishes out to would-be tacklers, but that also means that he takes a lot of big hits, too.

He's shown he's tough as heck in playing through shoulder problems and that high ankle sprain last year -- there's definitely no question about his heart or his talent. I just hope his body holds up over the years.

Yeah, I think he could have some issue there but it's not unheard of in the NFL for a RB to have a high running style.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Dickerson had one. More recently, Eddie George had one and Chris Brown has one now. Jackson runs a bit high as well, IMO. I mean, I don't really expect any RB to last 12 or 15 years. It can happen but I honestly expect 5 to 7 years. That's not a real long time for a real high draft pick but if it means a championship, is it worth it?

Here's kinda what I see. If Romo, or to a lessor extent, Henson is the long term choice at QB, then I expect they are going to need an exceptional running game to be succesful at the outset. If we are to complete with a QB who can not put pressure on the defense with mobility, then again, we are going to need an exceptional running game. If JJ isn't the guy, then I could see the wisdom in going out and getting a game changing RB like Peterson. A guy like that could take a great deal of pressure of the whole offense and his production and impact would be immediate, so to speak. Drafting a RB would be a return on investment when we need it most, short term for a SB run.

All things being equal, I'd rather take a QB like Quinn. Having said that, the QB decision might already be made.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
True but face it the early games in the season are normally against weak teams that you should be able to overcome without risking a key member of the team. They faced Tulsa, UCLA and Kansas State, out of those teams only UCLA was a real challenge but they are not a team you have to beat to win the Big 12. Had they rested him and allowed him to heal they could have faced Texas with a healthy Peterson and it would have allowed them a chance

Let's be thankful they aren't that bright then.

;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Let's be thankful they aren't that bright then.

;)

LOL.... I agree. That was a pressure game for Texas given what OU had done to the Horns so going into that game knowing Peterson was less than 100% was a good feeling

Alweezy

Reaction score
First off I think if the opportunity approached itself I could not honestly say no to the deal.

Secondly all the people saying Peterson is a health risk, injury hazard etc.. The guy has carried the ball a lot. And I mean almost every down in high school unless games were getting out of hand. The freshman season he took many carries, and in the soph. year he gets hurt but stll produces adequate numbers. He's got the durability regardless of this injury and has shown prior to 05' that he can take the full load of a season. I would trust this guy with my team's next 2 draft picks.

If we could say Peterson completely busts due to injury, I will atleast judge that the guy put up a thousand yards on one leg. That right there puts a lot of stock in this kid. At the next level I could atleast expect that effort.

Oh yeah I guess the question becomes:

Brady Quinn or Adrian Peterson

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Verdict said:
I am guessing it would take two first rounders, plus a healthy semi productive Julius Jones to even get close if Peterson was in the top 3 picks.

why would we trade up for AD, including Julius into the trade, then if the part I have in bold holds true?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
If we can believe BP, he is of the opinion that JJ has to be more durable. JJ has had issues staying healthy his first two years in the pros and also while at ND. If he can't stay healthy, that puts the load on Barber. Barber is a good back but he is not a break away back and I don't know that he is an every down back either. He may be but I don't know that he is. If JJ can't stay healthy, that means we need another back. The question is, do you go get the best back out there or do you try and take a guy who is cheaper?

wasn't AD pretty nicked up last year? I think AD has some durability concerns of his own to answer for NFL people too, esp. with his upright running style

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
He has been slowed by a few injuries.

2 isn't a few

joseephuss said:
Adrian Peterson has shown the same thing at OU. Great when healthy, but he has found ways to not be on the field. I think he has more talent than Julius Jones, but it seems like he would be giving Dallas the same player. Good when healthy, but will he be healthy.

This upcoming season gives both Jones and Peterson a chance to prove if they can stay healthy. I look forward to both proving that they can.

Peterson is worth trading up to get, but how much you trade to get him will be determined how healthy he stays this season. If the young man can't stay healty in college, he will have a harder time in the pros.

:hammer:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I would love to see this guy with a star on his helmet....but, at what price?

joseephuss

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
2 isn't a few

:hammer:

Thee is more than two, but I may be stretching it to say that it is a few injuries. He missed the opening game of 2004 with an injury he got in the pre-season and then got hurt in his first game against Cleveland. He sprained his ankle in 2005. Three injuries that caused him to miss game time is a lot for just two seasons of play.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Believe me, I've played through every scenario in my head as to how AD could be a Cowboy, but it just isn't going to happen.

The only way he drops is if he's injured again and has a lackluster year this year. But if he has a lackluster year, then he'll just go back for his senior season. And if he's injured that year, then it will make three consecutive injury plagued seasons and he's probably not fit for the NFL anyway.

The other scenario is if the Cowboys have such a bad season, they're in the top 10 of the draft and can then trade up into the top 5 or probably the top 3. But I just don't see us being that bad. Even if we have a disappointing year, we shouldn't be much worse than 7-9 which isn't bad enough for a top 3 pick.

I'd give my left nut to have AD as a Cowboy, but it just isn't happening. If he can stay healthy, he's a lock to be a perennial all-pro IMO, but sadly, he'll be doing it for a team other than the Cowboys. I just hope it isn't the 49ers.

BTW, as far as Stoops rushing AD back too quickly last year, the team was in chaos after the TCU loss, and needed him on the field for a mental/confidence boost if nothing else. In college, every game is so important, you can't afford to let a few games slip by.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Danny White said:
Believe me, I've played through every scenario in my head as to how AD could be a Cowboy, but it just isn't going to happen.

The only way he drops is if he's injured again and has a lackluster year this year. But if he has a lackluster year, then he'll just go back for his senior season. And if he's injured that year, then it will make three consecutive injury plagued seasons and he's probably not fit for the NFL anyway.

The other scenario is if the Cowboys have such a bad season, they're in the top 10 of the draft and can then trade up into the top 5 or probably the top 3. But I just don't see us being that bad. Even if we have a disappointing year, we shouldn't be much worse than 7-9 which isn't bad enough for a top 3 pick.

I'd give my left nut to have AD as a Cowboy, but it just isn't happening. If he can stay healthy, he's a lock to be a perennial all-pro IMO, but sadly, he'll be doing it for a team other than the Cowboys. I just hope it isn't the 49ers.

BTW, as far as Stoops rushing AD back too quickly last year, the team was in chaos after the TCU loss, and needed him on the field for a mental/confidence boost if nothing else. In college, every game is so important, you can't afford to let a few games slip by.

While every game may be important they were facing teams like Tulsa and K-state as well as a team outside the Big 12 in UCLA with a bye week in between. Stoops would have been better off keeping Peterson out for a game or 2 so they would have stood a chance in the Big 12. Facing Texas with a broken down running back gave OU no chance at all to win.

Verdict

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
why would we trade up for AD, including Julius into the trade, then if the part I have in bold holds true?

Semi productive to me means an average NFL running back. I think that is what Jones is right now, average. If healthy, he has some trade value. You make that trade if Peterson is an elite NFL running back.

Another way of looking at it is would you trade two first rounders and throw in Jones to get Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, Herschell Walker, or LaDanian Tomlinson at the price of a ROOKIE CONTRACT.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
While every game may be important they were facing teams like Tulsa and K-state as well as a team outside the Big 12 in UCLA with a bye week in between. Stoops would have been better off keeping Peterson out for a game or 2 so they would have stood a chance in the Big 12. Facing Texas with a broken down running back gave OU no chance at all to win.
Against Tulsa, OU was leading by a mere 17-15 with 3 minutes left when Adrian broke off a 41 yard TD run that won the game for them. In that game, he rushed 32 times for 220 yards and 2TDs.

I think it's safe to say that, if he wouldn't have played, they lose that game and start off the season 0-2 with losses to TCU and Tulsa. With the loss the next week to UCLA, the wheels are entirely off the schooner at that point.

He reinjured himself in the next game against K-State after looking great in the first quarter.

I'm just not sure how much sitting him against Tulsa would have helped since he played pretty well and the win kept the team's head above water.

I don't think that OU team was going to beat Texas last year, even with a healthy Peterson. Since he did get re-injured against KState, it's easy to say they should have sat him, but I think Stoops knew that his team needed everything they could get to win games last year.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
abersonc said:
you can find quality RBs near the end of the first round or early 2nd every year. good ones often fall.

Like, Julius Jones.. :D