Would you trade with Philly or Washington?

DenCWBY

Reaction score
If our NFC East Divisional rivals Philly Eagles or Washington Football Team called Cowboys to trade up to get a player of their choice, would you still be interested in accepting a trade with either one of them for the 10th overall pick, ..if their offered trade packages were sweet enough ?

- WFT could likely try to make a swing for a Trey Lance should he fall to 10th overall. And it will be
a bidding war with other NFL teams for a legit starting young QB

- Philly currently slated 12th overall in 1st round

- Washington currently slated 19th overall in `1st round

And we've actually traded within our division, if i'm not mistaken, we made a trade with Philly just last year's draft to move up a few spots to get center Tyler Biadasz at the bottom of the 4th round.
Not with our current FO in a million years.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
not if I think they would choose a QB. without a QB you have no chance in this league...no way I give a team that I have to go through every year to make the playoffs a chance at that lottery ticket for the next 15 years.

On the one hand that’s sound, but on the other, what about the Jerry Jones effect?

If the flip side was asked and the Cowboys wanted Philly’s pick, I’d say yes absolutely. Since Jimmy Johnson was fired, nothing has been better for the Eagles than Jerry Jones getting everything he wants. Think about it. Since that moment we’ve had 15 playoff appearances, 15 playoff wins(!), 6 NFCCG’s, 2 SBs, and a ring. If Jimmy was allowed to be Dallas’ coach for a decade, and set the team up to prosper with his hand picked successor, Andy Reid isn’t nearly as successful and Doug Pederson likely doesn’t happen. Jerry Jones created one of the most successful NFL teams of this millennium sheerly due to his uncompromising hubris.

Now apply that concept to Washington. Who are the last 5 quarterbacks they’ve taken in the first round? There was Dwayne Haskins, Rob Griffin, Patrick Ramsay, Jason Campbell, Heath Shuler. If one thing was ever true, Dan Snyder is the master at ruining young QBs through ownership meddling.

if Washington called us up and said they wanted our pick to take another QB, I’d respond, “Only if you really want to...” What’s better than refusing a rival the player they want? Letting them waste their pick on him

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd rather trade with Wash. Get a 2nd and 4th from them. Then draft Barmore.

Flamma

Reaction score
Any team wanting a QB is probably going to try and trade in front of Denver.

DRella

Reaction score
If any of our rivals want to trade with us, then it would mean them paying a premium especially if it has to do with one of them wanting a QB.

I dont have an issue with trading with them if it means getting above what other teams are offering. If the Cowboys are indeed confident that Prescott is the cream of the crop for QBs in our division make the trade.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure, if the value is there in the trade, why not? This concept of helping divisional rivals is stupid.

Sydla

Reaction score
On the one hand that’s sound, but on the other, what about the Jerry Jones effect?

If the flip side was asked and the Cowboys wanted Philly’s pick, I’d say yes absolutely. Since Jimmy Johnson was fired, nothing has been better for the Eagles than Jerry Jones getting everything he wants. Think about it. Since that moment we’ve had 15 playoff appearances, 15 playoff wins(!), 6 NFCCG’s, 2 SBs, and a ring. If Jimmy was allowed to be Dallas’ coach for a decade, and set the team up to prosper with his hand picked successor, Andy Reid isn’t nearly as successful and Doug Pederson likely doesn’t happen. Jerry Jones created one of the most successful NFL teams of this millennium sheerly due to his uncompromising hubris.

Now apply that concept to Washington. Who are the last 5 quarterbacks they’ve taken in the first round? There was Dwayne Haskins, Rob Griffin, Patrick Ramsay, Jason Campbell, Heath Shuler. If one thing was ever true, Dan Snyder is the master at ruining young QBs through ownership meddling.

if Washington called us up and said they wanted our pick to take another QB, I’d respond, “Only if you really want to...” What’s better than refusing a rival the player they want? Letting them waste their pick on him

If I were you, when it comes to the draft, I'd be more worried about the Howie effect.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No, it is not a good idea to make a rival stronger, but ultimately the most important thing is to make your team better.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Would you trade with Philly or Washington?

Sure...but only for GM's

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If I were you, when it comes to the draft, I'd be more worried about the Howie effect.

Our draft picks suck, and we’re able to do what we do in spite of it, I’ve accepted that. The last home run draft pick we’ve had was in 2013... Lane Johnson/Zach Ertz. That’s kinda crazy how awful that is, every single team in the league has had multiple since then. But still, we’ve made the playoffs 4 times since with 4 playoff victories because Howie is unbelievable at fleecing other teams in trades. It’s a pickle

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ir would depend on many things, the player, what I thought of that player, and what they were offering.
If they gave me next years # 1 for a guy like mariota, then I make the deal.

blueblood70

Reaction score
normally no... so 99% of the time, NO

however if something that truly benefited dour team and we feel we would get the better end if the deal, maybe..

Id listen to them anyway.. didnt ravens just hand KC a great player? i thought that was odd but it happens..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would need to be strongly considered.
A reporter asked Stephen Jones one time about drafting certain players to counter a division rivals moves. He said no you do not concern yourselves with what other teams do. You do what helps your team.

I remember one time, a guy on a draft show, can't recall if ESPN or NFLN, said the Eagles went out to specifically draft and sign FA's to solve issues of why they could not stop Dallas (Romo days) and the other guy said a team should not draft that way. Well, what the Eagles did, did not help them all that much.

So as much as I would say no, IF they were to get a QB. I also say, if you get a deal where you can help your team more by the trade you do it.
Maybe they get a QB, but we get a DT or DE or CB, or 2 of the 3 to counter that QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sure but would ask for more in return than I would from some other teams.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Other folks have said the same, but sure, *if* the terms are good enough.

D-

pancakeman

Reaction score
I agree with trading with anybody if the terms seem advantageous. Maybe a more interesting question is how the presence of two division rivals immediately below us in the first round might change strategies. If high value in a big position of need for one of them is falling, can you arrange to prevent them from getting what they want while still getting what you want?

pancakeman

Reaction score
It's kind of silly to think "yeah I'll trade with a division rival, but only if the trade is way lopsided to me." The other team would also be trading with a division rival! And yes you're giving to them, but you're also taking from them.

Sydla

Reaction score
Our draft picks suck, and we’re able to do what we do in spite of it, I’ve accepted that. The last home run draft pick we’ve had was in 2013... Lane Johnson/Zach Ertz. That’s kinda crazy how awful that is, every single team in the league has had multiple since then. But still, we’ve made the playoffs 4 times since with 4 playoff victories because Howie is unbelievable at fleecing other teams in trades. It’s a pickle

Lightning in a bottle in 2017 and bouyed in other years by three franchises in the division that sucked at various aspects of running a team. In Jerry's case, loyalty to a mediocre coach in Garrett who kept underperforming year after year.

If Howie doesn't improve his drafting, that SB is gonna seem like a dream.

lk8701

Reaction score
Of course. They’re just another team. Keep emotions out of it

It isn't just emotions. If the Commanders trade up for Fileds/Lance and they end up being a franchise QB it could harm the Cowboys long term. That's 2 divisional games per year.