Would you trade

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giants get
  • Dez as a bridge and red zone threat to pair with Shepard and time to retool WR group
This also allows Giants to still be in win now mode.

Cowboys get
  • OBJ and sign him to 15 million per year contract
I would not, but I can see how this could work out for both teams. I also think OBJ will agree to 15 million per year with a big guaranteed bonus because he sees how this is making him look in the media. He won’t get 20 million from anyone.

Go watch Forest Gump and practice saying "I am not a smart man".

kskboys

Reaction score
Trade DEz for a player that is oft injured and has emotional workplace outburst? And he will want more money than Dez? Am I reading this correct? No WR is worth 15 to 20 million dollars. Pay Martin, Lawrence, and Dak.

My philosophy is different than everyone else. Spend the money on a franchise QB, then O-line & D-line. Nfl owners and Gms don't even get this. All the other positions are dependent on the trenches to succeed.

The draft is loaded every year with serviceable wide receivers.
X a gadzillion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JustChip

Reaction score
Go watch Forest Gump and practice saying "I am not a smart man".

There are folks here that seem to think individual stars win championships. You have to have quality players and coaching, but they have to function synergistically as a team to win. OBJ is a talented individual star that does not contribute to team synergies.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are folks here that seem to think individual stars win championships. You have to have quality players and coaching, but they have to function synergistically as a team to win. OBJ is a talented individual star that does not contribute to team synergies.
Agree.

Even if he had Witten/Lee type character the OPs trade would be absurd.

Good teams don't give up both early picks AND huge cap space for 1 player. It's one or the other. Draft picks are cap management tools. Teams must get production from early draft picks to be able to afford a 15M+ free agent.

kskboys

Reaction score
No one wants to pay for a RB, but they're willing to pay gadzillions for a WR, even though a RB is more likely to lead you to the promised land.

Very strange stuff.

JustChip

Reaction score
Agree.

Even if he had Witten/Lee type character the OPs trade would be absurd.

Good teams don't give up both early picks AND huge cap space for 1 player. It's one or the other. Draft picks are cap management tools. Teams must get production from early draft picks to be able to afford a 15M+ free agent.

Spot on. I personally wouldn’t trade Dez straight up for OBJ. Absolutely the talent level with the later, particularly given the age difference, is better. But for all of his antics, I think Dez has established some cred within his team for the last 8 years that OBJ wouldn’t bring coming from the outside.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spot on. I personally wouldn’t trade Dez straight up for OBJ. Absolutely the talent level with the later, particularly given the age difference, is better. But for all of his antics, I think Dez has established some cred within his team for the last 8 years that OBJ wouldn’t bring coming from the outside.

We differ on that. I would trade Dez for him and give him incentives to make 15M in 2014.

I would not give him a new contract until after the season. It's a no lose trade for the Cowboys. Dez might get cut anyway and if not this offseason almost definitely next offseason. Even if Dez had a good mental-makeup, he has just lost too much athletic ability.

JustChip

Reaction score
We differ on that. I would trade Dez for him and give him incentives to make 15M in 2014.

I would not give him a new contract until after the season. It's a no lose trade for the Cowboys. Dez might get cut anyway and if not this offseason almost definitely next offseason. Even if Dez had a good mental-makeup, he has just lost too much athletic ability.

Fair enough. But his antics could cause problems this year. And whatever someone thinks of Garrett, the system and culture here that Jerry has established is not conducive to mitigating those types of problems. NE could, maybe LA, hell, probably every other franchise could. But not here.

Big_D

Reaction score
No one wants to pay for a RB, but they're willing to pay gadzillions for a WR, even though a RB is more likely to lead you to the promised land.

Very strange stuff.

Strange that a player lucky to catch 5 passes a game gets 16 mil+, but a DT never seems to be a priority? Very odd philosophy. People love WRs? That includes this front office. I don't really get it considering it never pays off.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough. But his antics could cause problems this year. And whatever someone thinks of Garrett, the system and culture here that Jerry has established is not conducive to mitigating those types of problems. NE could, maybe LA, hell, probably every other franchise could. But not here.

I would do it for this year and and probably let him move on afterwards. If they gave him the extra incentives above what he is scheduled to make, I think he would be on good behavior this season.

dallas72

Reaction score
Giants get
  • Dez as a bridge and red zone threat to pair with Shepard and time to retool WR group
This also allows Giants to still be in win now mode.

Cowboys get
  • OBJ and sign him to 15 million per year contract
I would not, but I can see how this could work out for both teams. I also think OBJ will agree to 15 million per year with a big guaranteed bonus because he sees how this is making him look in the media. He won’t get 20 million from anyone.

NO..OBJ hurt last 2 years & is a headache off the field ..and he wants QB $ Mike Evans just signed 5 yrs 89 mil...so 15 wouldnt work

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see how this could work out for both teams.
Exactly how would it work out for the Cowboys? OBJ is more emotionally unstable than Dez.

Not to mention - highest paid WR in the league on a run first team. Dumb.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Very strange stuff.

How so?

Last year was the Eagles and the Pats, both have much better WRs than they do RBs

Year before that, Julio Jones Falcons and the Pats again.

Yeah before that was Denver with Sanders and Dem Thomas, and the Panthers who didnt have good WRs or RBs.