WOW!! If only the draft fell like this (3 round mock)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cogan said:
I love Lawson, and he is an incredible talent. However, as it stands right now, Carpenter would be a better fit on the LOLB or LILB positions. Lawson is just too lanky right now to play opposite Ware. They are too much alike.
Forget Greenway! Living in the Midwest, I've watched enough Iowa games to know the guy is way overrated.

I pretty much agree...seems Carpenter is more of a fit for the strongside OLB and he gets big praise for his coverage ability..he has good size and strength and is a good enough pass rusher than OSU used him as a DE in some situations...I hate Greenway and think he'd be a totally wasted pick

as for Lawson, anytime I see alot of people worshipping a player because of "freak" athletic skills or raw talent too much I get a little worried...he seems almost rail thin and has never played OLB or had to drop into coverage...I saw NC State in a few games ths yr and last yr and he played ok, but I never got the idea he was worth the 18th pick of the draft...he definitely was nowhere near the class of player DE Mario Williams was on the field...the other thing is NC State is pretty loaded on defense as well, pretty much in all areas of their defense (front 4, LB and secondary)...did Lawson benefit alot from that? I'd say yeah...Lawson didnt impress me alot in the Senior Bowl either...I wouldnt be crushed if we took him, but at 18 I will definitely be a little more concerned...I'd much rather trade down 8-10 spots or so and take Carpenter

David

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I'm becoming more convinced that we are looking at Wimbley as a pick. He is the top pass rusher in the draft (last year's was a guy named Ware).

I don't think this mock draft knows what the heck they are talking about because they have Wimbley going in round 3. Not happening.

If he is there at #18, I am betting we take him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cobra said:
I'm becoming more convinced that we are looking at Wimbley as a pick. He is the top pass rusher in the draft (last year's was a guy named Ware).

I don't think this mock draft knows what the heck they are talking about because they have Wimbley going in round 3. Not happening.

If he is there at #18, I am betting we take him.

I agree!

I like Wimbley a lot more than Lawson, who I feel is a big reach at #18.

He has great ability but that doesn't mean he'll be productive as a 3-4 OLB:

1) He wasn't asked to cover like he would be in Dallas
2) He doesn't hold up well against the run
3) He doesn't posess pass-rush moves and won't get away with simply running around NFL tackles all day

I like the Justice pick very much and Simpson would be a nice addition in Round 2, but Parham is too slow and doesn't fill a current Dallas need. Judging from this mock, the writer is speculating that Dallas would play Ayodele at OLB. From everything I've seen, he's slotted for inside.