Wow, semi-bombshell on 103.3 re: Parcells & Drafts

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bryan Broaddus was a scout with the team for several years -- until, I believe, 2006.

Well, Galloway and Hensen were having a discussion on Parcells and his drafts. Galloway said look at the 2003 draft -- it was great with Newman, Witten, and Bradie. Broaddus texted in, "Don't give Parcells credit for 2003." So they asked him to call in with more explanation.

He said you could give Parcells credit for Witten, because he was good at evaluating TEs and he preferred Witten over LJ Smith. But Parcells wanted NO PART of Terence Newman. The guy he really wanted was Dwayne Robertson, and he fought Ciskowski (sp?) and the other scouts over Newman. Finally, he just gave up and said, okay, you guys take who you want.

He said Parcells' first draft was more about evaluating the scouts he would be working with over evaluating the players they'd take. He mainly sat back and observed how the scouts worked.

Asked what he thought about Parcells' evaluating skills, Broaddus said that Parcells was good at certain positions like TE and LB, and weak at others, like OL. He said Parcells' parameters were almost too hard to meet on OL, so he forced some things. (I wish he'd explained that further.)

Anyway... There were always rumors to that effect, but it's the first time I've heard it really confirmed.

Feel free to discuss. :)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1833230 said:
Bryan Broaddus was a scout with the team for several years -- until, I believe, 2006.

Well, Galloway and Hensen were having a discussion on Parcells and his drafts. Galloway said look at the 2003 draft -- it was great with Newman, Witten, and Bradie. Broaddus texted in, "Don't give Parcells credit for 2003." So they asked him to call in with more explanation.

He said you could give Parcells credit for Witten, because he was good at evaluating TEs and he preferred Witten over LJ Smith. But Parcells wanted NO PART of Terence Newman. The guy he really wanted was Dwayne Robertson, and he fought Ciskowski (sp?) and the other scouts over Newman. Finally, he just gave up and said, okay, you guys take who you want.

He said Parcells' first draft was more about evaluating the scouts he would be working with over evaluating the players they'd take.

Asked what he thought about Parcells' evaluating skills, Broaddus said that Parcells was good at certain positions like TE and LB, and weak at others, like OL. He said Parcells' parameters were almost too hard to meet on OL, so he forced some things. (I wish he'd explained that further.)

Anyway... There were always rumors to that effect, but it's the first time I've heard it really confirmed.

i think parcells made some changes with broaddus and others in 04. i may be wrong.

and yes Tom Ciskowski is the second most important guy to jeff ireland, i believe ciskowski is in charge of all college players.

Cl, this just sounds like what probably goes on in every war room, i highly doubt there is a mutual pick from any teams front office.

juck

Reaction score
Sounds about on as we have 200 tight ends.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
In any good draft warroom there will be differences of opinions on players.

You can nit pick a few of Parcells picks but all in all he did a great job upgrading talent since 2002/2003

And as far as I am concerned major kudo's for evaluating Romo > Chutch and Romo > Henson. Without Parcells we could be back with the Dolphins, Falcons and Raiders of the world....

Thank you Bill -

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theebs;1833234 said:
i think parcells made some changes with broaddus and others in 04. i may be wrong.

and yes Tom Ciskowski is the second most important guy to jeff ireland, i believe ciskowski is in charge of all college players.

Cl, this just sounds like what probably goes on in every war room, i highly doubt there is a mutual pick from any teams front office.

Exactly.

But that won't stop the overbearing hate that's about to ensue...

cowboyz

Reaction score
are you sure it wasn't kevin williams? dewayne robertson was picked ahead of the cowboys so there wasn't a debate.

if they had to do it over again, kevin williams is a better pick

btw that draft was pretty good

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
cowboyz;1833257 said:
are you sure it wasn't kevin williams? dewayne robertson was picked ahead of the cowboys so there wasn't a debate.

if they had to do it over again, kevin williams is a better pick

btw that draft was pretty good

Yep, no mention of Williams. I remember at the time, the team liked him but thought #5 was too high. He was a low-20s kind of guy until the Senior Bowl and right before the draft. The Vikes pick was higher than anyone had him rated before the draft.

Anyway, there's no hate here.

And sure, there's back-and-forth in most war rooms, but you'd think Mr. Let Me Buy The Groceries would have overwhelming say, wouldn't you?

dozin_theknick

Reaction score

He said Parcells' first draft was more about evaluating the scouts he would be working with over evaluating the players they'd take. He mainly sat back and observed how the scouts worked.

Finally, a thread that wont cause any controversy, ill will, or harsh words.:rolleyes:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
"Asked what he thought about Parcells' evaluating skills, Broaddus said that Parcells was good at certain positions like TE and LB, and weak at others, like OL."

His evaluating of OL ..well, I would agree, very suspect.

CoCo

Reaction score
It was pretty well known that BP liked Robertson in the days leading up to the draft. And I'd also heard of his interest in Williams.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
But Parcells wanted NO PART of Terence Newman. The guy he really wanted was Dwayne Robertson, and he fought Ciskowski (sp?) and the other scouts over Newman.

Want Robertson or not, he was off the board before we picked -- so I don't see how Robertson vs. Newman could have been the argument.

I did hear that BP loved Kevin Williams but recognized #5 was too high to take him.

Really this just comes down to Bill not liking to draft WRs and CBs. His teams have to have size so he's naturally going to favor "big" positions like the d-line.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
... "Don't give Parcells credit for 2003." So they asked him to call in with more explanation.

He said you could give Parcells credit for Witten

So if we don't give credit for Newman, it also means that we DON'T give blame for Al Johnson

Can all of you handle that?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'm surprised we never rolled out a 6-5 look with Parcells -- 6 linemen and 5 linebackers. Who needs WRs and CBs in today's NFL, what with it slanted towards the running game and all.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40;1833265 said:
"Asked what he thought about Parcells' evaluating skills, Broaddus said that Parcells was good at certain positions like TE and LB, and weak at others, like OL."

it seems Parcells placed a premium on good character, hard-working guys moreso than on talent, Jacob Rogers was supposed to be a warrior, until he turned ***** once we drafted him, although Stephen Peterman was a guy who got by on gusto, more than on athletic talent

but then you have Torrin Tucker, a great athlete, but not much going on in the head, so I'm not really sure what his requisite for Olinemen was

btcutter

Reaction score
Cbz40;1833265 said:

Sure about the LB??? he did draft Carpenter too you know. TE? got another one in Fasano.

I think Parcell is very good at finding diamonds in the rough (4-7th round) but the 1st three rounds....so so............

CowboyChris

Reaction score

ive been saying that for years, i knew Parcells didnt want Newman, his facial expressions on draft said it all.

the following players below were all BP picks in my opinion

Jason Witten
Al Johnson
Zuriel Smith

Julius Jones
Jacob Rogers
Steven Peterman
Sean Ryan

Marcus Spears
Chris Canty
Rob Petitti

Bobby Carpenter
Anthony Fasano
Skyler Green
E.J. Whitley

i dont think BP was onboard for the TO, Henson trades either.

great draft link here:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1200&type=team

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
it should be common knowledge already that Parcells was dead-set on getting Dewayne Robertson

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
That’s what gets me is why so many give Parcells all the credit for the draft picks. We don’t have the inside knowledge (until now). I think the 2007 draft was a really good draft and that was without Parcells. I just think many go to extremes and give him all or none of the credit.