Wow, semi-bombshell on 103.3 re: Parcells & Drafts

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Dodger12;1834057 said:
Since Broaddus can critique BP's eye for OL talent, then certainly he can crow about some of these gems evaluated by him and Lacewell: Tyson Walter, Matt Lehr, Char-ron Dorsey, Solomon Page, Kelvin Garmon, Oliver Ross, Steve Scifres, Clay Shiver and Shane Hannah. Impressive, very impressive eye for talent............and lets not even talk about some of the diamonds in the rough these guys found at the TE postion. Too bad, we had huge plans for the likes of Mike Lucky, Kendall Watkins, Bob Slowikowski and, of course, that Novachek clone, Eric Bjornson....

Yeah, we had a real dominating offensive line chock full of talent before Parcells came in here and bungled everything with his lack of OL knowledge.

Notice too that Stephen Peterson and Jacob Rogers (who were busts due more to injury than lack of talent) ... those were all 100% Parcells. But he had nothing to do with finding Colombo off the scrap heap. Or finding Kosier as a 2nd/3rd tier free agent. Or Flozell turning his career around. Nope, Parcells was just a unmitigated disaster when it came to offensive lineman.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
InmanRoshi;1834096 said:
Yeah, we had a real dominating offensive line chock full of talent before Parcells came in here and bungled everything with his lack of OL knowledge.

Notice too that Stephen Peterson and Jacob Rogers ... those were all 100% Parcells. But he had nothing to do with finding Colombo off the scrap heap. Or finding Kosier as a 2nd/3rd tier free agent. Or Flozell turning his career around. Nope, Parcells was just a unmitigated disaster when it came to offensive lineman.

I think Iceberg will agree with that statement!

:laugh2:

Poor Parcells...what a diaster he was!! The Cowboys would have been so much better off if he would have never came to Dallas!

(freaking loser)!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1833230 said:
Bryan Broaddus was a scout with the team for several years -- until, I believe, 2006.

Well, Galloway and Hensen were having a discussion on Parcells and his drafts. Galloway said look at the 2003 draft -- it was great with Newman, Witten, and Bradie. Broaddus texted in, "Don't give Parcells credit for 2003." So they asked him to call in with more explanation.

He said you could give Parcells credit for Witten, because he was good at evaluating TEs and he preferred Witten over LJ Smith. But Parcells wanted NO PART of Terence Newman. The guy he really wanted was Dwayne Robertson, and he fought Ciskowski (sp?) and the other scouts over Newman. Finally, he just gave up and said, okay, you guys take who you want.

He said Parcells' first draft was more about evaluating the scouts he would be working with over evaluating the players they'd take. He mainly sat back and observed how the scouts worked.

Asked what he thought about Parcells' evaluating skills, Broaddus said that Parcells was good at certain positions like TE and LB, and weak at others, like OL. He said Parcells' parameters were almost too hard to meet on OL, so he forced some things. (I wish he'd explained that further.)

Anyway... There were always rumors to that effect, but it's the first time I've heard it really confirmed.

Feel free to discuss. :)

Coach Parcells weeded out much of the scouting staff, including this Broaddus fellow.

It doesn't surprise me he has an axe to grind.

And nothing he said was new. Nobody thinks Coach Parcells was a genius about many positions. It is just assumed because of his work with the Giants where he did have a little bit of help from George Young.

It is not a black or white thing. Instead of being grateful to him for righting the wrongs and getting this franchise turned back around, you see nothing but cheap shots these days. It is sad.

Eventually, he will have his place in Cowboy lore even though most fans won't really appreciate it.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1834067 said:
My post was in response to the article Adam posted where Larry Lacewell is crowing about how Newman was 'his guy', while taking pot shots are Parcells (which he's been doing ever since his terrifying return to the halls of Valley Ranch). Lacewell has the annoying habit of wanting to boast to the media about the one time he didn't screw up, and sweep the 10 times he did under the rug. Of course, the Dallas meda eats it up because "He's Lace' .. who cares if he was a complete and utter failure for 10 years ... he'll have a beer with you and tell you funny stories!!' It's amazing how badly the Dallas media needs validation from those at the Ranch, like a child tugging at his mother's apron strings for attention.

Anyways, I remember Parcells saying in a press conference that when he was with the Jets he loved Ray Mickens as a cover CB, but he was so small that they couldn't use him for anything other than a nickel back because when they tried to use him as a base starter teams just ran right at him all the time. He said he decided then that he wasn't going to draft anymore small CB's highly. Not that he didn't believe that there aren't good small CB's in the league, Aaron Glenn went to 3 Pro Bowls under Parcells at 5'9", but they're the exception, not the norm, and therefore too risky to take with high draft picks. Ty Law, who was about as tough and physical as any cb to play in the league in the last 15 years, was his prototype. Marcus Coleman was a safety/linebacker hybrid at Texas Tech and Parcells converted him to cornerback ... successfully too, until Coleman couldn't get his personal life in order. And Otis Smith, who was just a mean, codgy, tough sob was his CB with the Patriots. Anyways, there's not a doubt in my mind that Newman convinced him was an exception, and not the rule, and Parcells would be the first one to tell you that. And there's also not a doubt in my mind that having to cut his teeth under a coach who demanded physicality from his CB's made Newman a better player. For a man to man cover corner, Newman is an exceptional tackler in the NFL, much much better than he was at Kansas State.

Good post.

Lacewell should really shut his mouth.

He has absolutely nothing to crow about.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Its almost unarguable that Bill Parcells vastly upgraded this roster, our scouting, our drafting and has put us in a position to be where we are in 2007.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nors;1834169 said:
Its almost unarguable that Bill Parcells vastly upgraded this roster, our scouting, our drafting and has put us in a position to be where we are in 2007.

You're talking about the Patriots, right?

:cool:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors;1834169 said:
I agree with that. It's also "unarguable" that with this upgrade in talent he was only 2 games over .500 (includes the 2 playoff losses) for his tenure here. 34-32 is not all that impressive.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hostile;1834176 said:
I agree with that. It's also "unarguable" that with this upgrade in talent he was only 2 games over .500 (includes the 2 playoff losses) for his tenure here. 34-32 is not all that impressive.

This team is what is known as a "changed" team...something good coming togeather.

It really does not matter how/who/why, it happens...but it does! Check it out...

:star:

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile;1834176 said:

It is better than 15-33, which is where we were at in the three seasons prior.

Coach Parcells is more a victim of failed expectations rather than anything else.

People just get bitter because they are very spoiled with this franchise.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander;1834202 said:
It is better than 15-33, which is where we were at in the three seasons prior.

Coach Parcells is more a victim of failed expectations rather than anything else.

People just get bitter because they are very spoiled with this franchise.
Funny, I don't remember giving Dave Campo any credit whatsoever.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1834176 said:

He took over a 5-11, 5-11, 5-11 team....devoid of talent and character.

I am 100% behind Parcells the GM - Parcells the Coach has some issues in his tenure - I agree there.

Wade inherited a hell of a roster.....and has made best of that to his credit.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Interesting Poll is -

What is Dallas record today with Parcells as Coach?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nors;1834206 said:
He took over a 5-11, 5-11, 5-11 team....devoid of talent and character.

I am 100% behind Parcells the GM - Parcells the Coach has some issues in his tenure - I agree there.

Wade inherited a hell of a roster.....and has made best of that to his credit.

Not the whole roster..other players were brought in after Parcells ;)

Yeah, Coach Parcells did what he needed to do for the Patriots, Jets, his x-wife, and then the Cowboys. What a life! :D

I smell fear from the Patriots? :eek:

:star:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1834176 said:

we've already established that Parcells is now a better roster technician than game day tactician

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;1834176 said:

apples and oranges.

I think everyone will say he couldnt get through to this team late in the year last season, he even says it himself. His way only works if your winning. Alot of his players in ny hated him but loved him at the same time if you know what I mean.

I think it was time to retire, but that doesnt give everyone the right to take shots at him or diminish him, particularly a scout who was removed from the loop.

parcells was hired to change this organization and he did, he just didnt win a superbowl. In fact in the 4 years he coached here only Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher and Tony Dungy did.

And now we are setup to make a run this year and be competitive and hopefully more in the future.

He promoted Jeff Ireland and I think in turn Tom Ciskowski was promoted. They are still here, they have the blueprint and the system in place. Now it is on them to continue the successfull acquisition of talent.

I personally Think it was a group effort that rebuilt this organization, but the groups leader was parcells. Did some disagree with him, yeah absolutely but at the end of the day he pulled the car out of the ditch.

I really dont think there are as many people who do not believe this as much as it appears on this message board, and for the ones who think he was bad here and didnt do anything well they are probably front running fans who picked up their first cowboys jersey, a romo one, since they bought their aikman jerseys.

Roy Williams said last week that Bill Parcells is still a big part of this team and from everything he taught them it is like he is still there. If anyone would have an axe to grind you think Roy would at least say something because johnson and jackson sit on espn every monday night and attack owens and then roy and parcells never says anything.

I dont know at the end of the day he is a tough personality to handle, he didnt open himself up to this area but he did his job. Win a superbowl, no, but like I said only 3 guys did the 4 years he was here. So the fan that didnt like him before he got here are the ones who attack him now, and the people like myself that could see instantly that teams change with him we appreciate him. What he did in new england and the jets was like what jimmy did here two times. He just never had the qb to get him the rings.

oh well.. bring on the eagles. All this stuff would go away if werder and the engle family would stop asking players this question about wade and bill.