Wow, what is the academy thinking?

blindzebra

Reaction score
Marky Mark gets the oscar nod over Jack!

Nicholson was brilliant in The Departed. So was Di Caprio, hell even Damon was better...I'm speechless.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
for my money Alan Arkin wins that category hands down.

blindzebra

Reaction score
abersonc;1331584 said:
for my money Alan Arkin wins that category hands down.

Yep, without Nicholson he should.

I'm glad Arkin got the nod, he was great, but Nicholson gave one of his best performances ever in The Departed.

I'm sure that a lot of the vote got split over lead vs supporting, and the fact that DiCaprio, Damon and Sheen were all so good as well hurt too...but Walhberg?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Why was Little Miss Sunshine nominated for best picture? That's an average movie at best. I don't believe I've seen the others that were nominated, but LMS is far, far, FAR from one of the best movies of the year.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
the departed was alright. just could of been alot better. i think decaprio was the best in it theough.

jem88

Reaction score
blindzebra;1331515 said:
Marky Mark gets the oscar nod over Jack!

Nicholson was brilliant in The Departed. So was Di Caprio, hell even Damon was better...I'm speechless.
I thought all four actors were great in that and I really don't have a problem with Wahlberg's nomination. However, I think Matt Damon put in the best acting performance in that movie. The Departed was the best movie I saw last year, followed by Volver (actually I saw that this year, but it belongs to last year's category.)

blindzebra

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1332957 said:
Why was Little Miss Sunshine nominated for best picture? That's an average movie at best. I don't believe I've seen the others that were nominated, but LMS is far, far, FAR from one of the best movies of the year.

I completely disagree, that movie was nearly perfect.

It was Super-freaky great.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LOL

I do not know any of these movies or the acting performances you guys are mentioning.

Sad.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
tomson75;1332175 said:
They've given one to Nicholas Cage too...enough said.

Cage didn't used to be in so many crap movies -- that Oscar was for an outstanding performance -- and I freaking hate that guy now.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1332957 said:

LMS was outstanding. It was a perfect movie about imperfect people.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Oh yeah -- saw last King of Scotland the other - Forrest Whitaker was amazing -- the movie was fascinating as well.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
abersonc;1334383 said:
Cage didn't used to be in so many crap movies -- that Oscar was for an outstanding performance -- and I freaking hate that guy now.

No, you're right, he didn't used to be in so many crappy movies.
He was in Raising Arizona where he plays an imbecile (not much of a stretch if you ask me) and Leaving Las Vegas where he plays a drunk (with very few audible lines I might add), and did a good job in both movies.

While those were two outstanding movies, I don't buy that either one was credible solely because of Cages' acting skills, or even largely due to them.
Furthermore, since those two movies, Cage has flourished by taking legit acting roles in potentially good films...and proceeded to destroy them one after another.

IMO.

...but for those that love being treated to what is essentially Con Air 2, Con Air 3, Con Air 4, etc. More power to 'em. Let's just hope he doesn't botch World Trade Center.

joseephuss

Reaction score
tomson75;1334906 said:
He was in Raising Arizona where he plays an imbecile (not much of a stretch if you ask me) and Leaving Las Vegas where he plays a drunk (with very few audible lines I might add), and did a good job in both movies.

While those were two outstanding movies, I don't buy that either one was credible solely because of Cages' acting skills, or even largely due to them.
Furthermore, since those two movies, Cage has flourished by taking legit acting roles in potentially good films...and proceeded to destroy them one after another.

IMO.

...but for those that love being treated to what is essentially Con Air 2, Con Air 3, Con Air 4, etc. More power to 'em. Let's just hope he doesn't botch World Trade Center.

I am not a Nick Cage fan, but I thought he was very good in The Rock. I don't know if it is so much a good acting job as he just fit the role.

Hasn't World Trade Center already come and gone from the theaters?

jimmy40

Reaction score
tomson75;1334906 said:

IMO.

Well after Valley Girl he had no where to go but down.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jimmy40;1339085 said:
Well after Valley Girl he had no where to go but down.

I caught that a few weeks ago after SNL. It isn't a bad movie. For us old farts who grew up in the 80's, the music and stuff makes it really fun. Kept the wife and I awake until nearly 3 - and that's huge

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
joseephuss;1334996 said:
I am not a Nick Cage fan, but I thought he was very good in The Rock. I don't know if it is so much a good acting job as he just fit the role.

Yeah WTC is already gone from theaters.

And I think Cage did a good job in the movie.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
joseephuss;1334996 said:

I dunno if I would consider myself a Nick Cage fan, but I thought he was absolutely excellent in The Weather Man and Matchstick Men. The Weather Man is a highly underrated movie and Matchstick Men has some nice twists in it and he plays a man suffering from OCD very very well.

I think he gets a bad rap just for the way he talks, but I think he's a good actor.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
abersonc;1334401 said:
Oh yeah -- saw last King of Scotland the other - Forrest Whitaker was amazing -- the movie was fascinating as well.

I used to love Forest Whitaker. But after The Crying Game scorched my retinas, I haven't been able to watch a film containing any of those cast members.