WP: Brunell, Team Talk With Cap in Mind; Expected to go after Clements and Fletcher

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
stasheroo;1377962 said:
What did all of Danny's dough buy this year?

:jackpot:

pretty sure it was last year, but wasn't it Six Flags?:laugh1:

Hope he doesn't paint the shock-wave maroon and yellow.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1378118 said:
Anyone have Jerry's record against Lil Danny?. As for Clement and Fletcher, if we are interested we have more then enough Cap space. Fletcher is on the downsize of his career, a Typical Commanders signing. Just like Adam Arch.

Since Midget has owned the Skins they are 4-12 against the Cowboys

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1377570 said:
The signing bonuses they give are front loaded so they don't take a huge hit when they are cut.
I don't know if anybody else has gotten to this but this is pretty much backwards. They're back and middle-loaded so they don't take a big hit when they sign them. Your way is how it's often done and is financially competent. Their way is greedy and short-sighted.

The trick for the Commanders is that they continually push roster bonus money back to the future, which alleviates the ever-rising yearly salaries. Eventually this money has to be taken care of, one way or the other. What the Commanders are particularly good at is talking players into renegotiating their contracts to something more favorable to the team. Usually this involves no sacrifice for the player but occasionally it does. Money that is owed at the time is pushed back to the future again. There are still a number of players who have been renegotiated and pushed back and the team hasn't yet paid the piper (think C. Samuels here). Eventually they'll have to pay up but meanwhile they get by via the above described tricks.

Oh yeah -- sometimes they just get lucky as when Arrington bought his way out of his horrific contract last year and then promptly got hurt (and now cut.) If he hadn't done that, the Commanders would have had several million dollars less this past season.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1377332 said:
By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 14, 2007; Page E09

Washington Commanders quarterback Mark Brunell said yesterday his agents are negotiating a reworked contract with the team and that he anticipates a resolution to the talks in a few weeks.

Brunell, reached on his cellphone, said he has not given up hope of starting for another team but would only want to be a backup in Washington. Coach Joe Gibbs said he wants to retain Brunell, and the sides are trying to strike a deal that would reduce the amount of Brunell's salary that will be counted against the salary cap.

"I'd still like to play if the opportunity presented itself to start," Brunell said. "But if I had to be in a supporting role, Washington is the place I want to be. I wouldn't entertain being a backup anywhere else at this point."

Brunell stands to make $5.2 million in base salary in 2007. The Commanders would take a $4.6 million hit on the salary cap in 2007 if they release Brunell this month. That would save the team $2 million from his current cost to the cap. The amount the team would save would drop to $1.5 million if it waits until June to release him.

Brunell, 36, who lost his starting job to Jason Campbell last season, is recovering from shoulder surgery in early January and said he expects to begin tossing the football in a month. He said he is doing strength and stretching exercises daily and is regaining his range of motion. He is expected to miss four to five months from the time of the surgery.

"I'm feeling good about it," Brunell said. "We're making good progress."

The Commanders also have veteran quarterback Todd Collins on the roster.

Commanders Notes : The Commanders are expected to target Buffalo Bills linebacker London Fletcher and cornerback Nate Clements in free agency next month, according to multiple league sources who have spoken with team officials. . . . Former Washington linebacker LaVar Arrington is a free agent after being cut by the New York Giants, but a return to Washington is highly unlikely. The Commanders do not do business with his agents and there was considerable animosity on both sides after a lengthy dispute over a bonus in Arrington's contract with the team.

LINK

Does the freaking salary cap not apply to Washington???

How do they sign the top free agents every single year and never have any cap problems???

You would think with all those free agents, the team would not suck as bad as it does!!!!

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Hostile;1377890 said:
Let's compare them at equal tenures as Owners.

How long has Danny owned the team? 1999 would be 8 years of football ownership right?

Danny's 8 years as owner
10-6, 1-1 in 1999.
8-8, 0-0 in 2000.
8-8, 0-0 in 2001.
7-9, 0-0 in 2002.
5-11, 0-0 in 2003.
6-10, 0-0 in 2004.
10-6, 1-1 in 2005.
5-11, 0-0 in 2006.

59-69, 2-2 in 8 years.

Jerry's first 8 years as owner
1-15, 0-0 in 1989.
7-9, 0-0 in 1990.
11-5, 1-1 in 1991.
13-3, 3-0 in 1992.
12-4, 3-0 in 1993.
12-4, 1-1 in 1994.
12-4, 3-0 in 1995.
10-6, 1-1 in 1996.

78-50, 12-3 in 8 years.

Yeah, I like your idea of comparing them at equal tenures. Thanks.
hostile has his hand raised, and the other dude well....

owned.jpg

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile;1378115 said:
How did he stumble onto being a Skins fan?

His momma had one too many x-rays when he was in the womb... mutated his DNA...

apickmans

Reaction score
Hostile;1378208 said:
I think he's the best player in the draft by far, but QB always jumps up to the top of drafts. Quinn and Russell (his rise amazes me) may cause him to drop to 3 or 4.

I think Oakland should trade Moss for a QB and draft Johnson personally.

That being said could you imagine how much crap we would get if Johnson fell to us and we drafted him!! This place (and ours) would go nuts.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
redskins1;1377864 said:
may i remind you that lil danny has more playoff wins then jerry jones since his taken over the Commanders...point being lil dannys work is better than your owners work since danny took over!!!!

Really this season was awesome 6-10 wow thats a good job by your owner and your team!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
apickmans;1378711 said:
That being said could you imagine how much crap we would get if Johnson fell to us and we drafted him!! This place (and ours) would go nuts.
I wouldn't give the Skins an ounce of crap. I'd applaud the move. You need a big WR to take over for one of the 4 midgets (I won't denegrate the original Smurfs) you got now who were supposedly the best 4 WR package in the NFL.

:laugh2:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hostile;1377890 said:
Let's compare them at equal tenures as Owners.

How long has Danny owned the team? 1999 would be 8 years of football ownership right?

Danny's 8 years as owner
10-6, 1-1 in 1999.
8-8, 0-0 in 2000.
8-8, 0-0 in 2001.
7-9, 0-0 in 2002.
5-11, 0-0 in 2003.
6-10, 0-0 in 2004.
10-6, 1-1 in 2005.
5-11, 0-0 in 2006.

59-69, 2-2 in 8 years.

Jerry's first 8 years as owner
1-15, 0-0 in 1989.
7-9, 0-0 in 1990.
11-5, 1-1 in 1991.
13-3, 3-0 in 1992.
12-4, 3-0 in 1993.
12-4, 1-1 in 1994.
12-4, 3-0 in 1995.
10-6, 1-1 in 1996.

78-50, 12-3 in 8 years.

Yeah, I like your idea of comparing them at equal tenures. Thanks.

Best stat is that in 8 years of ownership Danny has 0 rings
In 8 years of ownership Jerry already had 3 superbowls .....

:)

vicjagger

Reaction score
Before the 'Skins can buy any free agents, they have to clear some cap room. They are currently about $2.3M over the projected cap of $109M, and they still need room for draft picks and a practice squad.

The following are the only players, that if cut before June 1, would provide $1M or more in net cap relief (after allowing $300K for a rookie to replace them): J Jansen, T (Gross Savings 2.65M), R Wynn, DE (2.5), M Brunell, QB (2.08), P Daniels, DE (1.9), J Hall, K (1.5), J Thrash, WR (1.3).

T Vincent,, CB (1.29) & T Collins, QB (1.25) are on the borderline.

For details: http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

Note the "tabs" at the bottom of the page.

silverbear

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1378118 said:
Fletcher is on the downsize of his career, a Typical Commanders signing. Just like Adam Arch.

Not quite, wild man... Fletcher had 146 tackles last season, 2 sacks and 4 ints (1 returned for a TD), and 7 passes defensed... those are very, very good numbers for an ILB...

He IS getting older, he'll be 32 when training camp rolls around, but there's nothing in his play last year to lead us to conclude that he's on the downside of his career... for sure, he'd be an upgrade over what the Skins had at MLB last year...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;1378140 said:
19 sacks and 12 takeaways in 2006.

You've got to be looking DE with that 1st pick. Gaines Adams?

Who do you want? Or are you ready to trade it away for Bertrand Berry?

I've recently read that the Skins would like to trade down some, pick up another pick or two...

Of course, they wouldn't have to do such things if they didn't keep on trading away draft picks like they're worthless...

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
vicjagger;1380879 said:
Before the 'Skins can buy any free agents, they have to clear some cap room. They are currently about $2.3M over the projected cap of $109M, and they still need room for draft picks and a practice squad.

The following are the only players, that if cut before June 1, would provide $1M or more in net cap relief (after allowing $300K for a rookie to replace them): J Jansen, T (Gross Savings 2.65M), R Wynn, DE (2.5), M Brunell, QB (2.08), P Daniels, DE (1.9), J Hall, K (1.5), J Thrash, WR (1.3).

T Vincent,, CB (1.29) & T Collins, QB (1.25) are on the borderline.

For details: http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

Note the "tabs" at the bottom of the page.
Here's what I find interesting from that link. Four players -- Randle El, Lloyd, Archuleta, and A. Carter -- cost the Commanders a combined $24 million more off the cap than on. LLoyd and Archuleta are outright problems and Randle El and Carter have both underperformed (although Carter came on near the end of the year and Randle El has potential.)

Lloyd and Archuleta could wear dresses to work, bring loaded handguns and bloody chainsaws to practice, and speak in tongues during meetings and be safely employed as Commanders for at least the 2007 season, if not farther.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
MrMom;1377432 said:
how do they do it?

Who cares? Has it worked? They'll overspend yet again this year and suck once more.

We won't, and people will freak out here. The thing is, go look at the consistantly successful teams -- do they go balls-out in FA? No, because you can't build a team that way. YOU HAVE TO DRAFT WELL year after year.