Twitter: WR coach Sanjay Lal: Being able to hit those deep balls in games is going to change everything

glimmerman

Reaction score
He will hit them. It just Dak and Gallup having another offseason to work on it. Gallup has a great stop and go that throws defenders a step behind. Dak sees that and can hit him before the pass gets too deep and it’s on.

pansophy

Reaction score
The fact that we couldn't hit them last year is why we traded for Cooper. Good move regardless, but everything the last 2 years seems to be about threatening the outside so that the middle of the field opens up. I hope we have an offense that looks more like the Rams this year, and not just the same offense with more formations.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
"Being able to hit those deep balls in games is going to change everything if we're able to do that."
Oh, so "that's" the problem. lol
Wow.. Way to sum it all up Captain Obvious..

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Having the ability to stretch the field is going to open up the passing game, the running game and the amount of doubt swirling around in the opposition's head. Moore just needs to be on top of his game, if he is we can make some serious noise.

Proof

Reaction score
"Being able to hit those deep balls in games is going to change everything if we're able to do that."
Oh, so "that's" the problem. lol
Wow.. Way to sum it all up Captain Obvious..

Jason Garret was also quoted as saying that being able to score more points than the other team can potentially lead to more victories

cern

Reaction score
it used to pain me to see Michael irvin wide open down field, 5 yards of separation from the db, and have to wait and wait for aikman's pass to arrive. better an overthrower than an underthrower be.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's just hitting them but at least making an attempt a few times a game. I think this will be one of the highlighted differences between and Moors and Linehan. I'm guessing/hoping he'll be way more aggressive taking deep shots to keep teams off balance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
remember how jimmy's cowboys used the pass to set up the run. we now have the personnel to do the same.

Yeah is was a pick your poison proposition for defense. You had to focus on Emmitt or he would run over you all day but as soon as you started keying on him you had Aikman/Irvin and other weapons you had to contend with. In my view this approach can still work but Dallas along with Dak has to do a better job of making defense pay for cheating up on the run. If he can do this than this offense will reach a whole new level of effectiveness

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Dak is going to miss a lot of deep throws. He runs around, throws off 1 foot, throws off the other, and doesn’t always follow through.

The way he plays helps him in some situations and hurts him in others.

He will be better next year with deep throws and the passing game in general, but I think there will be big misses too

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
remember how jimmy's cowboys used the pass to set up the run. we now have the personnel to do the same.
The key to that was Turner's ability to make the D pay for whichever way they wanted to go. 8 in the box, he'd make them pay and they'd back out and then he'd run it but he would also not allow the DC to dictate his play calling and would still call the run with 8 or even 9 in the box and that's when Emmitt would get his longest runs.

I had hope for Linehan in 2014 because he did the same thing with Murray and that's a how a straight line power runner broke some big plays. But then 2015 happened and wheels just came off.