Wrong to compare this draft to 2009?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys first problem was trading their second-round pick. Reviewing it later, then Cowboys college scouting director Chris Hall said: “We traded the 51st pick for the 75th and 110th pick,” Hall said. “We lost about 110 points on any draft chart you look at. We left a first-round pick in LeSean McCoy on the board...”

And here are some players the Cowboys could have picked after they made that trade but passed on: Defensive end Michael Johnson taken at pick #70, right after Jason Williams. LB DeAndre Levy(#76), WR Mike Williams (#84), CB Ladarius Webb (#88) among others.

How Historically Bad Was The Cowboys 2009 Draft?

ultron

Reaction score
This roster is stacked with talent, the Cowboys dont lose because of lack of talent - trust me.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
You look at this draft and immediately realize no one the Cowboys drafted should be expected to play a big role this season. Hill will certainly play, but I would be surprised if he plays more than 30% of snaps. McGovern has a shot at competing for a job somewhere along the oline, but is more of a 2020 contributor. Pollard has a chance at getting some snaps if Austin isn't available. For the rest outside of Weber there is a crowded field in front of them.

It's interesting how we just seemingly ignore certain positions of need when there is talent there that can start. Hope they were right passing on the safeties.

plymkr

Reaction score
We don’t even know what these players can do

We just don’t like the picks I don’t like the picks

Last time I like the picks we made we drafted Morris Claiborne I also liked the Bobby Carpenter pick....

I hated the Travis Frederick pick
I didn’t even know who LVE was
I was meh on zack Martin
I didn’t want jaylon smith
You took the words right out of my mouth. When we picked Frederick I threw the remote across the room cuz I wanted the safety that was available. I laughed when we picked LVE. I told my brother he'll make us miss barbie carpenter. No clue on Martin, I was just relieved we didn't draft Johnny Manziel. I was pissed when we drafted Jaylon Smith. I figured why draft a guy that can't even play.
But I was so excited when we drafted Felix Jones, Julius Jones, Mike Jenkins and the players @JayFord mentioned, especially Mo.

I think I'll watch some preseason games before I jump for joy or jump of a bridge about these picks.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say that comparison isn't correct because we started out in this draft better with that 1st pick already gone than in 2009. At least we have something to show for this #1.

Most of these players are unknowns to most of us but the brain trust picking 10 years later than that draft is better than in 2009.

Most posters had some pet cats that didn't get picked so that starts it but with this draft we will need to wait a couple of years to see how this shakes out. If that 3rd rounder proves good enough to let Collins walk and move Williams to RT and our 2nd can give us some push up the middle, that little scooter from Memphis might be a little sparkplug to the QB and OC. At least he's a proven KR even though that's not still a thing in the NFL, he will get to return some.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I still feel this draft is better than 09. But I am not excited and don't feel the team was greatly improved from wednesday

chicago JK

Reaction score
We will see how these guys look in camp. I will be honest, I know very little about these picks. I hope they are right because most of these picks look really underwhelming.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know, we can make it anyway we want it. Want it to suck? It sucks. But I think most should go back and read the posts of those being honest about their snap judgements about past picks, and thank them for their honesty.

And if you have such little confidence in the staff and you are so certain they passed on sure things, why even follow the team? There are people in that organization that have their jobs on the line and until they prove otherwise I am going to assume they know more about these players than I do. Do they make mistakes? Oh hell yes, but at least let that be proven before we go off on how stupid they are.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still feel this draft is better than 09. But I am not excited and don't feel the team was greatly improved from wednesday
But were you expecting them to be greatly improved? I wasn't.

It's a good team with few open positions for starters and I think we can rest assured that they went over the DT's and S's with a fine toothed comb, I think that was the 7. 5 were gone and they had the choice between the DT and S and the DT won by a hair.

I watch a ton of college ball and this was not a great draft at any position except maybe at DT. Time will tell but this looked like an off season to me and it would not surprise me for them to look back at this class in 3-4 years and see a lot of them out of the league.

I watched ESPN and one thing that became apparent early on, those guys with the analysts' jobs were trying too hard to sell too many of these players on Friday and today. I am thinking this might be an exceptionally ugly litter and the only ugly puppy you can love is your own.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
no first rounder
Spent the rest of the time drafting backups/potential future starters and special teams guys.
Hope not. But I see McGovern being inactive all season unless they cut silo

Ask me after the 2020 season. It takes at least two years to evaluate any draft. On paper I would say Hill has nice upside and C McG looks like a solid pick. Also like the Joe Jackson pick. Did we address all the needs with the position picks, I think so but that's only on paper.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Hopefully they help the team in a few years.

Dont understand drafting 2 rbs when they wont use them.

Last edited:

Silly

Reaction score
I don't know yet. But look at it like this->

1.)They have a #1 WR that already has experience
2.) They might have a Starting DT
3.) They have a lineman to replace Collins next season which is not a bad idea considering this offense starts with Zeke. You just can't have enough talented linemen.
4.) They might have a KR/Back up RB/Slot WR.

Will have to wait and see how it all plays out.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am shocked!!! How can anyone be upset about this draft when in 27 hours, some of our people are going to be falling at Winterfell?

Reaction score
I don't know if its right or wrong to compare.

I do know its too early to compare.

Sydla

Reaction score
I liked the back end of their draft more than the beginning. I liked the King of Pop and his dad picks.