Wrong to Write OFF Atlanta

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It's true that the Falcons would have had more to play for today if NY had lost last night, but here's another way to look at it.

A good team that expected to be in the playoffs would have had more to play for today if the playoffs were still a possibility, but a crappy, underachieving team like Atlanta may have actually choked, played tight, coached too carefully to defeat a better team.

I'm not saying Atlanta will play better or harder with nothing at stake today but pride, but I'm thinking they will play more relaxed...they'll play with a little anger and resentment, wanting to mess up someone else's plans...They have nothing to hold back...players should take chances...some players will play hard because it's a final game to be judged by going into the offseason...others will play their butts off to set a tone for the offseason or to prove a point...certainly, the coaches have no reason to play it safe, "close to the vest"....I'm thinking Atlanta may play very relaxed and let it all hang out today.

I do believe Atlanta will put more points on the board against Philly than we did...the key will be if Atlanta's defense can show up where ours didn't.

We still have a chance at winning the division and having a home playoff game, and despite all the talk about being better off playing Seattle, it's foolish to "NOT want" to be division champs and get that home playoff game, because there are long shot scenerios where wild card teams defeat the teams with byes and we actually get the NFC championship in Dallas if we are a divisional winner...a long shot, but anything is possible in the NFC.

First order of business is we need to actually show up and look like a contender today against Detroit. We need a dominating performance, not just a win.

burmafrd

Reaction score
It could go either way with the Falcons. They could mail it in or really torch the place up. You will see at least some of the players putting it all on the line- they KNOW they are auditioning for the next coach. The coaches that will soon be fired will want to look good as well for their next empoyeers. The established players will probably not put all that much out since they are under no threat and will not want to get injured or look really bad. Just enough to get by.

PB&J

Reaction score
we needed ATL to win last year too, and they layed an egg. History does repeat itself.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Atlanta do have Abe who's quite capable of taking over this game. :)

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley;1271638 said:
It's true that the Falcons would have had more to play for today if NY had lost last night, but here's another way to look at it.

A good team that expected to be in the playoffs would have had more to play for today if the playoffs were still a possibility, but a crappy, underachieving team like Atlanta may have actually choked, played tight, coached too carefully to defeat a better team.

I'm not saying Atlanta will play better or harder with nothing at stake today but pride, but I'm thinking they will play more relaxed...they'll play with a little anger and resentment, wanting to mess up someone else's plans...They have nothing to hold back...players should take chances...some players will play hard because it's a final game to be judged by going into the offseason...others will play their butts off to set a tone for the offseason or to prove a point...certainly, the coaches have no reason to play it safe, "close to the vest"....I'm thinking Atlanta may play very relaxed and let it all hang out today.

I do believe Atlanta will put more points on the board against Philly than we did...the key will be if Atlanta's defense can show up where ours didn't.

We still have a chance at winning the division and having a home playoff game, and despite all the talk about being better off playing Seattle, it's foolish to "NOT want" to be division champs and get that home playoff game, because there are long shot scenerios where wild card teams defeat the teams with byes and we actually get the NFC championship in Dallas if we are a divisional winner...a long shot, but anything is possible in the NFC.

First order of business is we need to actually show up and look like a contender today against Detroit. We need a dominating performance, not just a win.

Agreed Wayno - you can't tell what's going to happen in this league any longer. Since the salary cap - it's all basically evened out. It would not surprise me in the least to see Atlanta beat the Eagles.

Either way, and no matter how you slice it, if the Cowboys don't play substantially better, they're one and done no matter WHO they play.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
As I have said many times..a team playing for their season is very difficult to beat. And don't forget! a coach also trying to save his job. Go Falcons.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nice post Wayne. Vick is up and down. He's due an Up game. I'm his biggest fan today.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
wayne_motley;1271638 said:
Wrong to Write OFF Atlanta

Well stated Wayne. Anything can happen. As it is often said "That's why they play the game". Vick is going to be without his #1 guy in Crumpler but you pinned it perfectly... their defense will most likely show up where ours didn't. I'll be watching and rooting heavily for ronnie mexico and the crew.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Vick is due for a big game but doesn't need one.......he gets paid regardless and I assume the whole team will probably start the game going through the motions just waiting to get the game over with. If they have a shot at the end, they might be willing to put forth a little effort to try and win but I don't expect much from ATL.

I would much rather go on the road to Seattle then host the Giants anyway.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1271692 said:
Vick is due for a big game but doesn't need one.......he gets paid regardless and I assume the whole team will probably start the game going through the motions just waiting to get the game over with. If they have a shot at the end, they might be willing to put forth a little effort to try and win but I don't expect much from ATL.

i guessd you missed the Memo, where the owner said he's firing any and everyone that he sees not worthy of being on the team. Including coaches

So if you think there gonna go out there and go through the motions, knowing there job is on the line, then you are a misguided fan

and in my new famous words... a blind fan

Bull Frog

Reaction score
PB&J;1271647 said:
we needed ATL to win last year too, and they layed an egg. History does repeat itself.
I was going to say the same thing. I remember ATL was eliminated, but they said they were playing for pride. I think they lost by almost 40 with their only TD in garbage time. They are a team with no heart. They will lose by over 20 today.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
PB&J;1271647 said:

Bingo. I don't expect atlanta to go up there in front of those bloodthirsty fans and pull off a victory. Atlanta has one foot out of the door already.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Bull Frog;1271718 said:
I was going to say the same thing. I remember ATL was eliminated, but they said they were playing for pride. I think they lost by almost 40 with their only TD in garbage time. They are a team with no heart. They will lose by over 20 today.

last year, vick said he gave up, it was a divisnal game, and, they didnt have there owner walking arond saying theres gonna be major changes over the offseason, and he's using these games as evalution as to who's staying.

But yea, this is just like last year:rolleyes:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1271692 said:

Are you kidding? REally?

I'd love to host the Giants...they suck.

NO Strayhan, Eli is playing terribly...did you see the stats from last night's game? The Giants have no chance in the playoffs with Eli's confidence and play at rock bottom...they are totally one-dimensional. If we couldn't stop the run, knowing it's all they have, then we truly suck and have no chance against anyone.

I think we'd beat NY in Dallas fairly handily.

We're favored by 12 1/2 today...we need to cover the spread and win by at least 14 with our defense playing gangbusters and our offense running the ball...that would give us a little confidence going into the playoffs.

That said, Detroit would have won last week if Mike Williams hadn't dropped a pass in the endzone to end the game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PB&J;1271647 said:

If we would have taken care of our own business, we wouldn't need them to win.
Remember after we found out we were eliminated last year. We layed an egg against the Rams, and just mailed in the last game. Atlanta will know their fate beofre they play. If we beat the Lions, the Giants get the last playoff spot.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
wayne_motley;1271809 said:
Are you kidding? REally?

I'd love to host the Giants...they suck.

NO Strayhan, Eli is playing terribly...did you see the stats from last night's game? The Giants have no chance in the playoffs with Eli's confidence and play at rock bottom...they are totally one-dimensional. If we couldn't stop the run, knowing it's all they have, then we truly suck and have no chance against anyone.

I think we'd beat NY in Dallas fairly handily.

The Eagles 2nd team defeated the Falcons 1st team ...regardless of the outcome of the Giants vs Commanders game.

All respect to Tiki, Plaxico and Shockey ...but I think the Eagles can contain the Giant's run and pass game while dominating the very suspect Giants OL. The Giants dominated a very weak Commanders team, but will have there hands full against the Eagles.

Go Eagles!