WWE "Silent Protest"?

Phoenix

Reaction score
WWE ‘Silent Protest’ Favors Triple H Taking Over, John Cena Opposes ...

A WWE “silent protest” being orchestrated by unnamed wrestlers seems to favor Triple H taking creative control of the company in the wake of the much-maligned TLC pay-per-view.

This rumor springs from MetsFan4Ever on the Squared Circle subreddit, and since he’s believed by many to be a company insider, a lot of WWE fans are taking it seriously.

The commenter also claimed that John Cena “held a talent meeting in an attempt to rally the troops, so to speak, and explain that a silent protest is not a good idea but rather working hard and being better is the best way to go,” Cageside Seats reports.

It’s likely that Vince McMahon’s comments regarding up-and-coming talent on the Steve Austin Show didn’t go over too well with many wrestlers trying to grab the “brass rings” he spoke of, and rather than an “ambition problem,” these wrestlers feel the company has a Vince McMahon problem.

McMahon is now 69-years-old. His skills as a promoter moved professional wrestling to its two most successful eras — that of Hulkamania and later the “Attitude Era” that birthed “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. He took pro wrestling to national prominence with WrestleMania, but many feel the time has now come for him to retire.

........hmmm.......

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I thought the PPV was pretty good to be quite honest. I particularly liked the opening IC Title Ladder Match and the main event TLC match between Ambrose and Wyatt. I thought the show was better than the last handful of PPV's for sure.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
As a booker and wrestling mind, Vince hasn't been very good. Where he beats out the smarter wrestling minds is that Vince is the greatest promoter of a wrestling product ever and nobody else is even in the same galaxy as he has been. The other part is that while Vince has not been a great wrestling mind...he did do 1 smart thing that has been a principle of his that he learned from his father...the Heavyweight Champion is usually a face.

The other promoters, particularly the NWA, usually had the heel as the Heavyweight Champion. But Vince has always said that the 'fans should go home happy.' It's much like watching an action move like Die Hard. You know in the end the good guy is going to win, it's just how the good guy is going to win and what type of evil he will face. That presents mass appeal and that's a big reason why Vince was able to create an world-wide promotion.

They were saying that Vince needed to go 20 years ago. The difference is that they had the Attitude Era that was something that pro wrestling had sorely missed out on for years and Vince took to the Attitude Era like a fish to water.

I don't see any definitive 'era' in pro wrestling that needs to be addressed. In part due to the Attitude Era more or less leaving the cupboard dry.

What they really have to address is the current system in place. I don't blame the writers. Many of the writers are actually pro wrestling fans and are very knowledgeable about pro wrestling and know how to write for it if given the proper opportunity.

Instead, the corporatization of the WWE doesn't lead to a very good product. It's what really killed WCW. Except in the WWE the corporatization of the product is killing it in a different way.

Part of the issue is the same issue though. Pushing John Cena thru the roof because he sells merchandise is not always the best idea. It's much like Hogan in WCW....yeah, he was a draw...but at what expense?

It reminds me of when Hogan first came out to Jimi Hendrix's 'Voodoo Chile' entrance song. It's a great entrance song and they paid good money for the rights. But, if Hogan was supposed to be so great and the 'Babe Ruth of wrestling', then why did he need the song? They would have been better off giving that song and a persona to a young wrestler (i.e. Chris Jericho) in order to create a new superstar.

If John Cena is so great and so over, then shouldn't be still over if he loses key matches? Shouldn't he be able to put some wrestlers over and still be over himself?

But the issue doesn't stop at Cena (and he's only a minor issue). The system is setup for too many wrestlers and writers to fail. There is an insistence that the NXT wrestlers are to be given a noticeable character for the most part. And there is an insistence to try and move the NXT wrestlers up when the writers don't have anything for them. So what happens? The NXT wrestler is given a gimmick that was on the cutting room floor of the writer. And if it doesn't work out...then the wrestler is forever branded with that gimmick and may never get over anywhere.

Tough to convince young athletes to dive into the world of pro wrestling with that.

I'm not sure why anybody would think HHH would be any different. I don't know what type of booking experience he has. I think the only 'era' available is probably to go a bit back into the past when pro wrestling was treated more like a sport and they got rid of the vignettes and had wrestlers cut promos and interviews in the ring. Not sure Vince would sign off on that anyway.

YR

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everything I've read leads me to the conclusion Vince really needs to go. Triple H is doing a fantastic job according to everyone with NXT and needs more say with Raw and Smackdown. All this talk about a silent protest doesn't mean much to me. I think a bigger protest would be everyone in the locker protesting the way Cena is constantly pushed. Bottom line: the storylines are bad and the talent level is lower than it has been in years so the overall product is barely above crap right now. That is a much bigger story. The ratings for Raw were bad. Coming off a PPV and with an apperarance from the champion Lesner the rating was the lowest for a Raw in 4 years. WWE Network subscriptions are still far below projections also.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
More suggestions: get rid of the girls. Nobody seems to care & their matches are awful.

I watched a little bit Monday & don't watch regularly but they still have the same matches I saw weeks ago!

Those dingy Usos & those 2 weirdo Stardust or whatever their names are. Dumb!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More suggestions: get rid of the girls. Nobody seems to care & their matches are awful.

I watched a little bit Monday & don't watch regularly but they still have the same matches I saw weeks ago!

Those dingy Usos & those 2 weirdo Stardust or whatever their names are. Dumb!

That's the thing I hate the most - most of what is on TV now is unwatchable. You are right, the Diva's should just go away. Fandango? Usos? Rhodes brothers? Adam Rose and his gang including that damn Bunny? Heath Slater? Talk about show killers. Then you add Sheamus, Orton, Jericho, RVD, Bryan, Punk and Barrett all missing from a year ago and it's easy to see what little talent is left is overused.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will Triple H and Stephanie McMahon return to TV to rescue Monday Night Raw's ratings?
By Keith Harris
Dec 18 2014

165566252.0.jpg

Over the past couple of weeks Monday Night Raw's ratings have slumped to the lowest level of the year. This is especially troubling when Brock Lesnar returned to the show this week, albeit unannounced, and they presented the Slammy Awards on last week's episode, which has traditionally boosted viewership.

In the past, when ratings fell to near rock bottom levels, the solution typically has been to bring the Mr. McMahon character out of the mothballs, as his mere presence after a long absence has been proven time after time to get numbers back to normal and give the WWE Creative Team some breathing space to come up with a longer term solution. Indeed, when faced with the same problem two years ago they quite irresponsibly booked the then 67 year old McMahon in a match with CM Punk, which worked a treat, despite foolishly risking the WWE owner's health.

The circumstances aren't quite so desperate today that they'd pull off such a hot-shot stunt again, especially as Vince McMahon doesn't seem to want to be a regular character on Raw at his age, but they've got the next best thing. Bring back his son-in law, Triple H, and his daughter, Stephanie McMahon, to Raw as soon as possible instead. Indeed, Dave Meltzer knowing WWE's mentality and Vince McMahon's tendency to panic when ratings get below a critical threshold predicted that would be the likely response on his latest Wrestling Observer Radio show.

Clearly, WWE's current ratings predicament wasn't caused by the temporary disappearance from our television screens of Triple H and Stephanie, but due to a combination of poor planning and weak booking. If you don't fix the latter issue, then the return of The Authority will only serve as a temporary Band-Aid, and WWE will be doomed to repeat the process again next year during football season.

Read more: http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe-ra...cmahon-return-rescue-monday-night-raw-ratings

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
That's an awful picture of Stephanie. She's got a lazy eye or something in it!

Re the girls I noticed Monday all of a sudden those twins are "friends" again. They were enemies not so many weeks ago. That's the problem. Bad writing!

Also that Roman guy is back I see. With a new tshirt too! :p

He's ok but by far the best wrestler, to me, of those 3 is Rollins. He's very good. That Ambrose guy has the worse fake looking punches I've seen on there.

Phoenix

Reaction score
WWE needs a fix? A boost? A shot to up the ratings?

Why.....why...why........ All they have to DO is....

BO-LIEVE!

:D:eek:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
That's the thing I hate the most - most of what is on TV now is unwatchable. You are right, the Diva's should just go away. Fandango? Usos? Rhodes brothers? Adam Rose and his gang including that damn Bunny? Heath Slater? Talk about show killers. Then you add Sheamus, Orton, Jericho, RVD, Bryan, Punk and Barrett all missing from a year ago and it's easy to see what little talent is left is overused.

You're not going to have 30 wrestlers on a roster and make for 30 legit superstars. Guys like Slater serve a purpose...to work as enhancement for the superstars and get them over.

I'm not a fan of the Fandango gimmick, but you're going to need guys like him for some filler.

To me, the top of the card is what needs to be fixed most. And they just need to avoid the really dumb stuff like when the NYC crowd started chanting 'This is Stupid!' a few months ago in the Matadors match.

YR

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
They need to push Wyatt strongly.

They need to continue to push Rollins and they need to get Ambrose as serious push.

Pushing Reigns will work very well also cause the fans are behind him.

On top of that they need to swallow their pride, figure out how to fix the beef with Punk, and bring him back ASAP.

And when they bring him back the show needs to be focused around him, and the championship, and it will make the show much better once again.

As it did when they did the smart thing of making him the champion last time around and running with it. They needed to turn with it a bit longer, and a bit better in terms of opponents and placements on the card, but they did a solid job with him as the champion.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
They need to push Wyatt strongly.

They need to continue to push Rollins and they need to get Ambrose as serious push.

Pushing Reigns will work very well also cause the fans are behind him.

On top of that they need to swallow their pride, figure out how to fix the beef with Punk, and bring him back ASAP.

And when they bring him back the show needs to be focused around him, and the championship, and it will make the show much better once again.

As it did when they did the smart thing of making him the champion last time around and running with it. They needed to turn with it a bit longer, and a bit better in terms of opponents and placements on the card, but they did a solid job with him as the champion.

I like Bray too & I only watch occasionally but to me Bray was better with the 2 guys. His talking on & on about who knows what just seemed better with those 2 knuckleheads.

I am NOT a good judge of wrestling skills but just from the outside looking in I think Roman isn't very good in the ring. He is kind of badass looking with the long hair & I guess they push him as that. He is awful talking though. I think I could get in there & do better! :p

Continue to push Rollins & he needs to lose those 2 guys who follow him everywhere. That guy can wrestle! And he has the looks & he CAN talk!

Phoenix

Reaction score
I like Bray too & I only watch occasionally but to me Bray was better with the 2 guys. His talking on & on about who knows what just seemed better with those 2 knuckleheads.

I am NOT a good judge of wrestling skills but just from the outside looking in I think Roman isn't very good in the ring. He is kind of badass looking with the long hair & I guess they push him as that. He is awful talking though. I think I could get in there & do better! :p

Continue to push Rollins & he needs to lose those 2 guys who follow him everywhere. That guy can wrestle! And he has the looks & he CAN talk!

Maybe Reigns will improve.... I think I saw somewhere that he has started working with, what was it, an acting coach or something? Time will tell in any case...

Phoenix

Reaction score
Reigns, Diesel.

Diesel, Reigns.

Hmm. Scary foreshadowing?

23_IYH_05141995_0001.jpg

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2014/1...ory-12-worst-whc-wwe-champions-in-wwe-history

8) Diesel

How Diesel Became Champion: Abruptly interjected into the Backlund-Hart feud of 1994 which saw Bob Backlund end Bret Hart's 248 day title reign, Diesel would face the WWF Championship from Backlund three days after the newly crowned champion commenced his reign. After executing a Jackknife Powerbomb, Diesel would pin Backlund a mere eight second after the opening bell, leaving the Madison Square Garden House Show crowd in a shocked frenzy.

Why He Was An Awful Champion: The first-third of Diesel's championship reign was serviceable, if unspectacular, seeing him compete in entertaining affairs against the likes of Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels at the 1995 Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania XI, respectively. However, the final two-thirds of Diesel's championship run were a casualty of what is widely acknowledged as the worst calendar year in WWE history, hampered by uninspired booking, a gimmick flooded product, and a noticeable lack of worthy challengers. Diesel, who was not an in-ring technician by any stretch of the imagination, was given the impossible task of carrying the 487 pound Mabel to a respectable match in the main event of Summerslam 1995, a contest which is universally regarded as the worst main event in Summerslam history. A few months later, at In Your House: The Great White North, Diesel, the British Bulldog, and Bret Hart would find themselves booed out of the building after Hart's attack on the British Bulldog prematurely ended an entertaining championship contest, an occurrence that provoked a ringside berating from Vince McMahon.

The initial plan for Diesel's run was to provide additional stakes for the budding rivalry between he and former ally Shawn Michaels. However, once they rectified their issues, the man formerly known as Oz was left floundering in a main-event scene that was slightly above his head, expected to carry a burden that was simply too heavy for the first time champion to withstand.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Reigns, Diesel.

Diesel, Reigns.

Hmm. Scary foreshadowing?

23_IYH_05141995_0001.jpg

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2014/1...ory-12-worst-whc-wwe-champions-in-wwe-history

8) Diesel

How Diesel Became Champion: Abruptly interjected into the Backlund-Hart feud of 1994 which saw Bob Backlund end Bret Hart's 248 day title reign, Diesel would face the WWF Championship from Backlund three days after the newly crowned champion commenced his reign. After executing a Jackknife Powerbomb, Diesel would pin Backlund a mere eight second after the opening bell, leaving the Madison Square Garden House Show crowd in a shocked frenzy.

Why He Was An Awful Champion: The first-third of Diesel's championship reign was serviceable, if unspectacular, seeing him compete in entertaining affairs against the likes of Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels at the 1995 Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania XI, respectively. However, the final two-thirds of Diesel's championship run were a casualty of what is widely acknowledged as the worst calendar year in WWE history, hampered by uninspired booking, a gimmick flooded product, and a noticeable lack of worthy challengers. Diesel, who was not an in-ring technician by any stretch of the imagination, was given the impossible task of carrying the 487 pound Mabel to a respectable match in the main event of Summerslam 1995, a contest which is universally regarded as the worst main event in Summerslam history. A few months later, at In Your House: The Great White North, Diesel, the British Bulldog, and Bret Hart would find themselves booed out of the building after Hart's attack on the British Bulldog prematurely ended an entertaining championship contest, an occurrence that provoked a ringside berating from Vince McMahon.

The initial plan for Diesel's run was to provide additional stakes for the budding rivalry between he and former ally Shawn Michaels. However, once they rectified their issues, the man formerly known as Oz was left floundering in a main-event scene that was slightly above his head, expected to carry a burden that was simply too heavy for the first time champion to withstand.

That guy looks a lot bigger than Reigns!

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Maybe Reigns will improve.... I think I saw somewhere that he has started working with, what was it, an acting coach or something? Time will tell in any case...

They better get with it then because he is awful when he talks. Perhaps the solution is don't make him talk.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
They better get with it then because he is awful when he talks. Perhaps the solution is don't make him talk.

I'm sure the hope will be that he can get over as a man of few words and they can simply hide that behind very short promos and just being a bad *** dude.

If that doesn't work they can always give him a manager, a mouth piece, like they do with having Heyman with Lesnar.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I'm sure the hope will be that he can get over as a man of few words and they can simply hide that behind very short promos and just being a bad *** dude.

If that doesn't work they can always give him a manager, a mouth piece, like they do with having Heyman with Lesnar.

Hopefully. It's not his thing & that's painfully obvious. I know they are giving Rollins a "push" & to me he's much more deserving. He's much better in every way.