WWE's Realistic Options to Improve Sinking Raw Ratings

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The problem with Seth is they are pushing him wrong, if he is heel he needs to be bad, not win matches by the skin of his teeth of with A LOT of dirty finishes. they make him seem like a weasel, also he needs his own finisher again, this stealing moves and using the Pedigree makes him look like lapdog for the Authority, like he is the little HHH. The issue with WWE is they have a handful of people that can do it all but they are not really pushing them its almost like they are regressing to the late 80's early 90's formula, why because where is Cena going to go, or Cesaro, or Zigler. Its either wrestle under their dry *** writing or retire. I mean the multiple personality Kane thing come one, TNA pulled it better with Abyss than WWE is doing it with Kane.

I don't mind that he's a weasel or cheats but it needs to be with him as the clear man, and leader, of the group. And not the lackey to HHH, as you've pointed out here. That's what hurts him in that role, IMO.

I agree on the reverting though because they have no competition and therefor no fear of people really leaving them. Definitely an issue, as it was back then. Actually it's a bigger issue now then it was back then cause back then they could go to WCW or ECW.

But I actually am digging the whole Kane thing right now. I find it pretty amusing to be quite honest.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't mind that he's a weasel or cheats but it needs to be with him as the clear man, and leader, of the group. And not the lackey to HHH, as you've pointed out here. That's what hurts him in that role, IMO.

I agree on the reverting though because they have no competition and therefor no fear of people really leaving them. Definitely an issue, as it was back then. Actually it's a bigger issue now then it was back then cause back then they could go to WCW or ECW.

But I actually am digging the whole Kane thing right now. I find it pretty amusing to be quite honest.

TNA I think handled that angle much better with Abyss and the "Brother" Parkman.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
the funniest thing to me on there is that New Day guy dragging that trombone everywhere.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
No disrespect to wrestling fans, because I was a huge fan throughout my childhood...
but I don't know if the glory days of a large viewership for any wrestling television show will ever come back... The Monopoly of The WWF/ WWE changed the regional element of the sport that helped support it... and the fact that they had to admit they weren't a sport anymore (thanks again WWE) probably hurt them a bit more....

Just an opinion/ observation...
I understand Raw is just one show, & they have an online element..... but how does such an event pick up new fans at this point?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No disrespect to wrestling fans, because I was a huge fan throughout my childhood...
but I don't know if the glory days of a large viewership for any wrestling television show will ever come back... The Monopoly of The WWF/ WWE changed the regional element of the sport that helped support it... and the fact that they had to admit they weren't a sport anymore (thanks again WWE) probably hurt them a bit more....

Just an opinion/ observation...
I understand Raw is just one show, & they have an online element..... but how does such an event pick up new fans at this point?

Valid points all the way around.

And certainly the way the WWE does things isn't going to change and with that they aren't going to gain much in the way of new fans or reclaim those that have dropped out because of how Vince & Co. runs the operation from the way they script matches to how they utilize talent.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but I don't know if the glory days of a large viewership for any wrestling television show will ever come back...

If Vince doesn't change the way he runs the show, it never will.

khiladi

Reaction score
It's the writing.. It's awful. Adding characters from the glory days wont restore the glory. Back in the glory days, humor was a big part of the script.

Even Brock Lesnar just sits there looking smug.

khiladi

Reaction score

I couldn't stand him... Nothing great about his dialogues and no humor either.

Most of the script these days is just boasting how one wrestler is going to fear the other wrestler. CM Punk was no different.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the writing.. It's awful. Adding characters from the glory days wont restore the glory. Back in the glory days, humor was a big part of the script.

Even Brock Lesnar just sits there looking smug.

Read yesterday that Vince is micromanaging everything that happens on Raw now down to the letter. Trips is completely deferring everything to him now.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Have New Day take over!!

I would watch Raw again if they did that.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I couldn't stand him... Nothing great about his dialogues and no humor either.

Most of the script these days is just boasting how one wrestler is going to fear the other wrestler. CM Punk was no different.

I won't go into this on a back and forth cause it's clear from this statement that we won't agree.

But I couldn't disagree with something anymore than I disagree with this. If you honestly didn't get anything different from CM Punk then you either weren't paying attention or you just don't like CM Punk in general.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I agree on the de-emphasizing of 'The Authority.' Corporate Kane is a terrible gimmick and isn't working. Stephanie kills ratings. HHH has more shelf life when it comes to ratings, but the main issue with The Authority is that it sends mixed signals to the fans and it really ran its course about 10 years ago. I would just try to do what they can to get rid of the entire Authority gimmick. Don't get the McMahon's involved unless you have to and try to paint them in a positive light instead of villainous heels.

They really need to cut down the time that the Divas are on TV. Especially the Bellas. I know they are in relationships with top guys and I know they've improved their wrestling quite a bit from when they started...but they are bores on TV and they kill the crowds. Even Paige isn't there yet as far as being able to hold a long TV segment. I actually think the closest one to being able to hold a long TV segment is Charlotte and maybe Alicia Fox. However, Paige is far more over, so they need to get her on TV, but keep the segments shorter.

They need to set up a big heel to make that face turn when Cena comes back. That's Cena's value...being a face with his own fans and facing off against a heel who is starting to get over and the fans want to see turn face and then the heel makes the face turn after facing Cena and Cena still remains a face as well. I would nominate Bray Wyatt, although I'm sure Vince doesn't like Wyatt's physique. In the meantime, Wyatt's promos have to be cut shorter (too long winded) and have to become more 'money' instead of these inane rants.

I think your real money match/feud is Daniel Bryan vs. Brock Lesnar for the title.

And I think in general, the show format and what is 'wrestling' is long overdue for a change. They are not appealing to the same crowd they were 10 years ago. I think the audience actually wants more old school pro wrestling things like promos/interviews instead of vignettes, tag teams that mean something, etc. And they really need to test the writing group if they can actually create a feud with storylines that generate legitimately great heat. Pro wrestling will always be about getting heat and I haven't seen that in the past 5 years. I think part of it is due to corporate and advertising considerations, but if you can't get heat you're dead in the water anyway. And they need to see if HHH and the writing team can figure out how to create legit heat before Vince passes away.

YR

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree on the de-emphasizing of 'The Authority.' Corporate Kane is a terrible gimmick and isn't working. Stephanie kills ratings. HHH has more shelf life when it comes to ratings, but the main issue with The Authority is that it sends mixed signals to the fans and it really ran its course about 10 years ago. I would just try to do what they can to get rid of the entire Authority gimmick. Don't get the McMahon's involved unless you have to and try to paint them in a positive light instead of villainous heels.

They really need to cut down the time that the Divas are on TV. Especially the Bellas. I know they are in relationships with top guys and I know they've improved their wrestling quite a bit from when they started...but they are bores on TV and they kill the crowds. Even Paige isn't there yet as far as being able to hold a long TV segment. I actually think the closest one to being able to hold a long TV segment is Charlotte and maybe Alicia Fox. However, Paige is far more over, so they need to get her on TV, but keep the segments shorter.

They need to set up a big heel to make that face turn when Cena comes back. That's Cena's value...being a face with his own fans and facing off against a heel who is starting to get over and the fans want to see turn face and then the heel makes the face turn after facing Cena and Cena still remains a face as well. I would nominate Bray Wyatt, although I'm sure Vince doesn't like Wyatt's physique. In the meantime, Wyatt's promos have to be cut shorter (too long winded) and have to become more 'money' instead of these inane rants.

I think your real money match/feud is Daniel Bryan vs. Brock Lesnar for the title.

And I think in general, the show format and what is 'wrestling' is long overdue for a change. They are not appealing to the same crowd they were 10 years ago. I think the audience actually wants more old school pro wrestling things like promos/interviews instead of vignettes, tag teams that mean something, etc. And they really need to test the writing group if they can actually create a feud with storylines that generate legitimately great heat. Pro wrestling will always be about getting heat and I haven't seen that in the past 5 years. I think part of it is due to corporate and advertising considerations, but if you can't get heat you're dead in the water anyway. And they need to see if HHH and the writing team can figure out how to create legit heat before Vince passes away.

YR

Wish I could like this more than once.

Less trombone would help also.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I know wrestling is steeped in tradition hence why certain characters types are recycled. But they are recycling recently retired or bottom roster guys schticks, Dolph is more like HBK now, Seth seems to have taken some of wht CM punk was doing, Cody Rhodes as different Gold Dust, Big Show being used as one trick Pony like Andre, Ryback modern day Ultimate warrior persona,

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Wish I could like this more than once.

Less trombone would help also.

I hardly watch RAW. But last Monday I just flipped by because nothing else was on and saw Corporate Kane and Stephanie and then switched the channel. So I have no idea what 'less trombone' means since I don't watch the show.

From what I see, it's amazing to me that they don't see what is money and what is not money.

Xavier Woods may be a nice story to have since he's getting his PhD. But, he's not money. Kofi and Big E are money...if used together in the right way. The Dudleys are just a quick pop. They aren't money, but they are veterans that could help Kofi and Big E along.

I actually think Summer Rae is money, the Bellas are not. I think her and Paige could make an excellent program if they protect both of their weaknesses because Paige has that goth/emo/punk look and Summer Rae has the 'blonde girl who thinks she's all that and got everything handed to her' look. I don't think Lana is a bad performer, but I don't think sticking her in a program with Summer Rae was the best fit.

Of course, they need to stop worrying about a wrestler having 'range' and instead stick to their strengths. This has always been a weakness for Vince. They promoted Adam Rose because Ray Lepann showed 'range' with the character. But, he was better as Leo Kruger. And that's why a lot of this falls flat. Big E is an incredible athlete and has a great look, yet they want him to lighthearted and funny. The money is in him getting ready to rip somebody from limb to limb.

It's too safe and too corporate and pro wrestling by its very nature is not 'safe.'

YR

jrumann59

Reaction score
An article by someone who suggests the WWE has too much "Main Event Talent"...

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2015/10/8/9480017/wwe-main-event-scene

I agree more with one of the commenters who stated that problem isn't too many main-eventers but on the contrary not enough of them... And that's why so many main events have a 45+ YO involved.

I guess the term main eventer is lost on the guy. There is big draw guy and there is some that ia talented enough to be in a main event. Undertaker, Kane, Mark Henry, and BiG show are not Main event talents anymore, some would say they are not Big Draw guys either, except Undertaker. Lesnar has main event talent but he only wants to wrestle part time. There tier 2 is full of "has beens" that have a light schedule, they can still wrestle but you probably will never see them more than 2-3 times a year. Tier 3 is IMHO is actually Tier 2 for active wrestlers. Tier 4 really DZ IMHO is on Par if not ahead of Reigns and Ambrose, Tier 5 is a joke, Rusev and Cesaro should be higher.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess the term main eventer is lost on the guy. There is big draw guy and there is some that ia talented enough to be in a main event. Undertaker, Kane, Mark Henry, and BiG show are not Main event talents anymore, some would say they are not Big Draw guys either, except Undertaker. Lesnar has main event talent but he only wants to wrestle part time. There tier 2 is full of "has beens" that have a light schedule, they can still wrestle but you probably will never see them more than 2-3 times a year. Tier 3 is IMHO is actually Tier 2 for active wrestlers. Tier 4 really DZ IMHO is on Par if not ahead of Reigns and Ambrose, Tier 5 is a joke, Rusev and Cesaro should be higher.

Great description.

In the old days it would have been the equivalent of the NWA bringing out Lou Thesz to challenge Ric Flair or McMahon putting up Bruno vs. Hogan.