'X-Files' returning to Fox for six episodes

burmafrd

Reaction score
Lmao

Not surprised you would make a comment like that.

I meant to say.....

Was MUCH better!

Xfiles was a mishmash!

Fringe had some if the best season finales EVER!

You wouldn't know. You probably just comment without even watching the show. Typical!

considering your terrible judgement in football matters I doubt you are any better judging TV shows

burmafrd

Reaction score
I never watched it while it was on but I tried to get into it when it was on netflix a couple of years ago. Too late...TV has been so good the last 5 years or so that unless you were into it then, anything from the 90s is terribly, terribly dated.

I have to laugh at the idea about how great recent TV has been. Just more sex and violence and cursing does not make great TV.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I have to laugh at the idea about how great recent TV has been. Just more sex and violence and cursing does not make great TV.

Man I love the internet, where the purpose is to find something you disagree with and argue using all kinds of weak fallacies, such as this straw man.

The fact is that budgets for prime time television shows have inflated significantly, the writing and production has improved, and the technical function have. Today I learned that MadMen (which has twice the budget of X-Files per episode) is full of sex and violence and cursing.

NYPD Blue, that great 90s show that had zero violence.

In Living Color, the bastion of family entertainment.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Man I love the internet, where the purpose is to find something you disagree with and argue using all kinds of weak fallacies, such as this straw man.

The fact is that budgets for prime time television shows have inflated significantly, the writing and production has improved, and the technical function have. Today I learned that MadMen (which has twice the budget of X-Files per episode) is full of sex and violence and cursing.

NYPD Blue, that great 90s show that had zero violence.

In Living Color, the bastion of family entertainment.

Some aren't happy unless they poopoo on every single, darn thing in creation.

We are not all going to agree on things.
We are all not going to like e same shows.

So that's lead to... Well.... You know.... Lol

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Some aren't happy unless they poopoo on every single, darn thing in creation.

We are not all going to agree on things.
We are all not going to like e same shows.

So that's lead to... Well.... You know.... Lol

I don't even know what the argument is. Maybe you can't go so far as to say "objective fact" but I'm pretty sure if I took a room of anyobody and showed them the x-files, assuming they'd never seen it, they would feel that it is incredibly dated. Until television shows went into more cinematic formats in the very late 90s, early 2000s, everything aged very quickly. I can pretty much promise everyone that the new version will look more like the movie versions than the TV version, which is the point I am making.

What the X-Files WAS good at was the continuing story archs. It was too freak-of-the-weak for me, but it did have long standing purpose as well, which directly influenced TV today (which is very un-serialized by comparison).

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I don't even know what the argument is. Maybe you can't go so far as to say "objective fact" but I'm pretty sure if I took a room of anyobody and showed them the x-files, assuming they'd never seen it, they would feel that it is incredibly dated. Until television shows went into more cinematic formats in the very late 90s, early 2000s, everything aged very quickly. I can pretty much promise everyone that the new version will look more like the movie versions than the TV version, which is the point I am making.

What the X-Files WAS good at was the continuing story archs. It was too freak-of-the-weak for me, but it did have long standing purpose as well, which directly influenced TV today (which is very un-serialized by comparison).

I was going to do a marathon view of all seasons. The dated feel kept me from watching it.

Absolutely, xfiles influenced tv.

Like star trek set the stage for a better an eventual "Star Wars"... Xfiles set the stage for FRINGE.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I loved star trek growing up but try to watch an episode of TNG now and it's just so old.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know that you can point to increased budgets to justify the "Better" point of view. I mean, it might be true but I don't think you can say it is true because of that.

Budgets have increased, I'm sure that's true but so have costs. A lot more effects are now used and that's expensive. More shows are now shot on locations so less actual sets, like the old days. Lots of things go into it I imagine.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I loved star trek growing up but try to watch an episode of TNG now and it's just so old.

I caught the Six Million Dollar Man on one of the cable channels a couple of weeks ago. It definitely came across as old.

Phoenix

Reaction score

Oh much earlier than "TV today" - The Lone Gunmen :D

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I never watched it while it was on but I tried to get into it when it was on netflix a couple of years ago. Too late...TV has been so good the last 5 years or so that unless you were into it then, anything from the 90s is terribly, terribly dated.

Nah, Seinfeld and 3rd Rock from the Sun hold up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Love the X-Files. Have the entire series on DVD. But honestly the movies sucked. I fear this is a brand whose time has come and gone. I have low expectations for these 6 new episodes. Maybe Skully and Mulders kid will be in them.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Love the X-Files. Have the entire series on DVD. But honestly the movies sucked. I fear this is a brand whose time has come and gone. I have low expectations for these 6 new episodes. Maybe Skully and Mulders kid will be in them.

I'll give it a chance. Hope they are actually better than first run.

The movies... I was so looking forward to them. Horrible.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I enjoy the dated feeling to shows.

Just to see/hear what was going on in that time strikes me as an interesting.

Be it "X-Files" in the 90's or "Kolchak the Night Stalker" from the mid-70's to "Leave it to Beaver" from the early 60's.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Sad things about looking back on Charlie's angels is that while Jaclyn was gorgeous - I never saw what fascinated so many people about Farrah. And Kate was just nice looking and that is all. Now Cheryl Ladd was definitely hot. But the one that replaced her was just too skinny.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Sad things about looking back on Charlie's angels is that while Jaclyn was gorgeous - I never saw what fascinated so many people about Farrah. And Kate was just nice looking and that is all. Now Cheryl Ladd was definitely hot. But the one that replaced her was just too skinny.

iu