XFL - returning 2020

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
220px-Logo_of_the_XFL.svg.png

As it gets closer, the return of the XFL is becoming an increasingly interesting narrative for pro football and will likely prove as the first viable alternative to to the NFL since he '80s. This because of the WWE's rise in recent years to becoming a near $10bn company, and the cash flows they will be seeing from their new contracts with NBC and Fox.

Vince McMahon is reportedly considering pouring $500mn into getting the league off the ground. That's not UFL minor league bucks, and it is in addition to whatever the owners of the first 8 teams will be pouring in.

I think we will see some "rogue" names, even potentially our own Dez Bryant, make their return to the gridiron in 2020 as players in the XFL.

Dallas is one of the cities rumored to be under consideration for a team, they've been very tight-lipped on which cities they're looking at, Pittsburgh, Orlando, and San Diego are the only other cities that have been speculated with any real merit behind it backed by officials associated with the league, though I'll cover what the press has reported below. I'd expect a team based in Hartford or Stamford, CT, right near WWE's HQ and to cover the NY market, and given the leagues stated goal of "breaking boundaries", potentially a team in Toronto. Maybe even London. Given the popularity of the sport, we will certainly see a team in Texas, if Dallas isn't chosen, I'd bet on San Antonio.

Cities that are currently considering official XFL proposals (per OurSports Central, not commented on by the league) -
  • San Antonio
  • Orlando
  • St. Louis
  • Cleveland
  • Houston
  • Kansas City
  • Toronto
San Antonio and Orlando are reportedly the cities the league is most focused on. A city in CT is almost certainly a lock as well.

Interestingly, the leagues minimum salary is nearly double that of the CFL's. The league will cap compensation at $200k for the first year, but marquee talents can receive additional compensation for "representing the league" - which is clearly earmarked for big name talents. They will also be providing health insurance to all players, and despite not having a union, will be providing health insurance for a year after a player leaves the league.

Last edited:

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Maybe their refs will call fair games...
Interestingly, that is precisely how they're pitching themselves. Simplified rules, real football.

Slightly political but purely factual - the founder of the XFL, Vince McMahon's wife Linda is the head of the SBA. Per PWInsider.com (top source on pro wrestling news), Vince made the decision to bring the XFL back after speaking with the current President, who as we all know isn't the biggest fan of the NFL.

Sadly, I don't think the political narrative around football is going away any time soon. In fact I'd anticipate it to increase dramatically around the time of the XFL's re-launch.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Dez will get to play again after all, all of you doubters out there that thought he was done. What do you know?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Another league got the jump on them. It kicks off in February 2019. Bill Polian is one of the founders and they've signed over 600 players already.

Alliance of American Football
It's an exciting time for pro football; we are likely going to have 4 viable leagues for players to earn a solid living (NFL, AAL, XFL, CFL).

The XFL is well positioned and I believe will come out on-top of the AAL. They simply have more money behind them, coupled with the built-in marketing machine that is the WWE... and the x-factor that is the President's relationship with the McMahon family and the spotlight he put on pro football.

PWInsider has reported that McMahon is trying to bring Dwayne Johnson / The Rock on as a team owner, which would lead to an endless amount of mainstream press.

My understanding is the AAL's compensation is roughly in-line with the CFL's, while the XFL is bringing it up a notch with the minimum salary double that of the CFLs. A big part of their strategy is understood to be the #2 league in terms of compensation after the NFL.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Ehh....

I think it can be a strong investment.

Sports remain the only premium content. Over the top subscription services are in vogue. If Vince can finagle his way into a one game a week broadcast on a major 4 network (NBC or Fox are likely given their relationship with WWE) they'll do just fine.

The dynamic has changed since 2000 big time... only question is, will they get some people to pay to go to the game.