Yahoo Sports - Decertification was failing strategy by NFLPA

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...cation_strategy_was_bad_move_for_union_052511

For all of his shouting and table pounding and proclamations that the NFL Players Association “went to the mattresses” with the NFL, here is where DeMaurice Smith has his decertified union two months into the lockout: about to argue a case it will probably not win in a labor battle his constituents will soon tire of fighting.

The NFLPA’s rhetoric in the months leading up to this spring’s work stoppage never matched the issues. Nothing was serious enough to warrant a shutdown. Nobody will ache for the rookies who won’t get $40 million guaranteed in whatever new deal emerges, while the splitting of $1 billion in a league that has made so many rich is hardly a horrible problem to have. And yet the leaders of the players union were dying to decertify as far back as 2008, apparently screening executive director candidates on their willingness to push the nuclear option.

So now we are mired in the doldrums as each side waits to go through the motions with the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, a body that has already signaled its intent to uphold the lockout. All of this is less a legal wrangle – if it ever was one – than a bout between egos tussling to see who can claim momentum and thus a victory before sitting down to the negotiations which could have been done in March.

At stake is only the football season.

superpunk

Reaction score
“This is so unbelievably easy to solve – that would be if there was leadership on either side,” Cramer said. “This is a contract that should be agreed to tomorrow. That these two goofballs [Smith and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell] are waiting around for the courts to tell them what to do to get this solved is crazy.”

lol...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This article sums up my feelings on the subject well. There are no angels in all of this, but I think Smith has painted himself - and those he represents - into a corner.

I just hope that when this ruling comes down, he will realize it and do the best job of negotiating that he can.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
One source with knowledge of the negotiations said the message delivered by the players’ leadership was that the show of demanding the owners’ books had become too valuable a PR move to give up. Then, after threatening to blow up the talks with decertification and lawsuits, they did just that – leaving many to wonder if this is what they wanted to do all along.
I wonder what crow tastes like.

Oh yeah, Jon Kitna...well, at least this serving isn't mine.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas;3959760 said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...cation_strategy_was_bad_move_for_union_052511

For all of his shouting and table pounding and proclamations that the NFL Players Association “went to the mattresses” with the NFL, here is where DeMaurice Smith has his decertified union two months into the lockout: about to argue a case it will probably not win in a labor battle his constituents will soon tire of fighting.

The NFLPA’s rhetoric in the months leading up to this spring’s work stoppage never matched the issues. Nothing was serious enough to warrant a shutdown. Nobody will ache for the rookies who won’t get $40 million guaranteed in whatever new deal emerges, while the splitting of $1 billion in a league that has made so many rich is hardly a horrible problem to have. And yet the leaders of the players union were dying to decertify as far back as 2008, apparently screening executive director candidates on their willingness to push the nuclear option.

So now we are mired in the doldrums as each side waits to go through the motions with the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, a body that has already signaled its intent to uphold the lockout. All of this is less a legal wrangle – if it ever was one – than a bout between egos tussling to see who can claim momentum and thus a victory before sitting down to the negotiations which could have been done in March.

At stake is only the football season.

Thanks, Dallas...that was some good lead edge journalism by Les Carpenter.

Following Rugby Tournaments with Fort Polk, La., a bladder award was given to the biggest arse in the party following a game.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Hostile;3959869 said:
I wonder what crow tastes like.

Oh yeah, Jon Kitna...well, at least this serving isn't mine.

You are really reaching here.

Why would anyone eat crow because many are "wondering" about something.

Only someone desperate to make a point would latch on to something so innocuous, you are going into desperate territory.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JIGGYFLY;3959887 said:
You are really reaching here.

Why would anyone eat crow because many are "wondering" about something.

Only someone desperate to make a point would latch on to something so innocuous, you are going into desperate territory.
Reaching for what? That article said exactly what I have been saying that keeps getting rejected as my agenda. Sorry, but I was never guessing.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Hostile;3959895 said:
Reaching for what? That article said exactly what I have been saying that keeps getting rejected as my agenda. Sorry, but I was never guessing.

Reaching by acting like people who are "wondering" about something proves your point.

As for the article why does Les Carpenter have the final opinion on this issue why should he be so respected that others need to "eat crow".

Like I said it was a desperate attempt at legitimacy on your part, for some reason you need to quote any part of a article that fits to lend credence to your argument.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;3959895 said:

Thing is that you have been saying it for what three months now and nothing except a few more anxious players without contracts saying something ever happens.

There is a process to get a group of laborers to certify so either they have been very hush, hush about going about it and actually doing anything about changing leadership or your entire scenario is overblown at best.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JIGGYFLY;3959908 said:
Reaching by acting like people who are "wondering" about something proves your point.

As for the article why does Les Carpenter have the final opinion on this issue why should he be so respected that others need to "eat crow".

Like I said it was a desperate attempt at legitimacy on your part, for some reason you need to quote any part of a article that fits to lend credence to your argument.
If you need to see it that way go ahead.

Tell me, when is the NFL actually suing the players to prevent them from playing?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3959916 said:
Thing is that you have been saying it for what three months now and nothing except a few more anxious players without contracts saying something ever happens.
Yes, for three months. Thank you for validating that for me. Sit back and watch as more of what I have been trying to tell you unfolds exactly the way I said it would.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;3959937 said:
Yes, for three months. Thank you for validating that for me. Sit back and watch as more of what I have been trying to tell you unfolds exactly the way I said it would.

No, you said it was going to unfold three months ago. There is a temporal order to things.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3959941 said:
No, you said it was going to unfold three months ago. There is a temporal order to things.
No I didn't. I specifically said that this making it to the courts was going to drag it on forever. How can anyone forget that? I have been the most anti-take this to litigation person on this forum.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;3959942 said:
No I didn't. I specifically said that this making it to the courts was going to drag it on forever. How can anyone forget that? I have been the most anti-take this to litigation person on this forum.

Quite frankly, going from filing to appeals consideration within 3 months is astounding.

And saying that litigation is a lengthy process is not exactly coming up with some startling revalation. The last time the players sued and won took Upshaw 2 years.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3959948 said:
Quite frankly, going from filing to appeals consideration within 3 months is astounding.

And saying that litigation is a lengthy process is not exactly coming up with some startling revalation. The last time the players sued and won took Upshaw 2 years.
It might take that again which is why I said what? Oh yeah, that the owners will likely ensure football by enacting the 2010 guidelines of another uncapped year and limited free agency while they try to hash out the litigation so they can get back to the bargaining tables which is what solves this every time.

Try and keep up.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;3959953 said:
It might take that again which is why I said what? Oh yeah, that the owners will likely ensure football by enacting the 2010 guidelines of another uncapped year and limited free agency while they try to hash out the litigation so they can get back to the bargaining tables which is what solves this every time.

Try and keep up.

I am still waiting for the part where you are Nostradamus.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;3959937 said:

Hostile;3959966 said:
You have a long wait, because I'm not.

Come on, man. We just need to let this drop for now.