Ya'll got to see this, especially Longhorn and Sooner fans!

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
switzersflask;2189530 said:
Switzer didn't run the team in the ground. Jerry ran the team in the ground by hanging on to all the old superstars instead of reloading.

Switzer did his damn job and won you ********* a SUPER BOWL.

He had Troy, Emmitt, and Irvin all on the final road of their careers. Jimmy Johnson would've struggled also with that aging roster.

switzersflask;2189533 said:
You would know grimey, Catch17.

just going on a hunch but you are defenitly not a Switz fan ;)

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
switzersflask;2189530 said:
Switzer didn't run the team in the ground. Jerry ran the team in the ground by hanging on to all the old superstars instead of reloading.

Switzer did his damn job and won you ********* a SUPER BOWL.

He had Troy, Emmitt, and Irvin all on the final road of their careers. Jimmy Johnson would've struggled also with that aging roster.

So we should credit Switzer for the Super Bowl win while conveniently absolving him of anything else that occurred during his tenure as coach?

Switzer was acquired to prove one point: even a trained chimp could win a Super Bowl with such a talent-laden roster. :D

Unfortunately, replenishing Dallas' roster would require more than a trained chimp.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2189718 said:
So we should credit Switzer for the Super Bowl win while conveniently absolving him of anything else that occurred during his tenure as coach.

Switzer was acquired to prove one point: even a trained chimp could win a Super Bowl with such a talent-laden roster. :D

Unfortunately, replenishing Dallas' roster would require more than a trained chimp.

Very true. Switzer did what most of us could have done with the talent he inherited. Jerry's the one who drove it into the ground playing his egotistical games.

switzersflask

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2189718 said:
So we should credit Switzer for the Super Bowl win while conveniently absolving him of anything else that occurred during his tenure as coach?

Sorry, but you don't just win a Super Bowl.

That team was on the decline with aging talent and Switzer did the best with what he had.

When Switzer took over, he had the talent that was so dominant earlier in that decade. But it wasn't the team that Johnson had due to the age of the players. Dallas was doomed no matter who Dallas hired.

Hiring Switzer is what brought you ONE MORE TITLE.

Switzer salvaged one more when Dallas could easily be stuck with 4 instead of :lombardi:

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Bach;2189722 said:
Very true. Switzer did what most of us could have done with the talent he inherited. Jerry's the one who drove it into the ground playing his egotistical games.

Unquestionably, Jerry, as GM, shoulders the onus of blame for the team's precipitous downfall.

However, Barry isn't absolved because he was a puppet. He was the head coach.

He had substantial input into talent evaluation and selection, and he flopped.

He was responsible for reigning in the team's aggressive and often anti-social behavior, and he flopped.

He was responsible for repairing the team's tarnished image, and he flopped.

Under his leadership (or lack thereof), a Super Bowl winning roster permeated with pro bowlers and future hall of famers was transformed into a 6-10 mess.

He gets no sympathy from me.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
The advent of the salary cap and free agency was the biggest culprit. We simply could not afford to keep all the stars on the team. Plus, we had an incredible streak of bad luck injuries at the WR position that lasted for about 3 years. Maybe more.

Yes, Jerry made some mistakes but I don't think anyone could have kept that dynasty together, especially after the Gaily years when the talent level was really depleted.

We should have won 4 super bowls in a row though with the team Jerry assembled. I don't believe a Jimmie Johnson led team would have collapsed in the 1st 5 minutes in SF in that championship game, and we outplayed them them rest of the game. In fact the rest of that game was one of the best 55 minutes of football I ever saw from that team.

switzersflask

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2189742 said:
Unquestionably, Jerry, as GM, shoulders the onus of blame for the team's precipitous downfall.

However, Barry isn't absolved because he was a puppet. He was the head coach.

He had substantial input into talent evaluation and selection, and he flopped.

He was responsible for reigning in the team's aggressive and often anti-social behavior, and he flopped.

He was responsible for repairing the team's tarnished image, and he flopped.

Under his leadership (or lack thereof), a Super Bowl winning roster permeated with pro bowlers and future hall of famers was transformed into a 6-10 mess.

He gets no sympathy from me.

You just have no idea of what you're talking about.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
switzersflask;2189732 said:
Sorry, but you don't just win a Super Bowl.

That team was on the decline with aging talent and Switzer did the best with what he had.

We don't even know if Johnson would've won another. Remember, he could not win the Super Bowl his last season with that talent-laden roster and that was when that team was arguably at it's absolute BEST. So I guess he's not as good a coach as a trained chimp considering that team was way better than the team Switzer inherited.

When Switzer took over, he had the talent that was so dominant earlier in that decade. But it wasn't the team that Johnson had due to the age of the players. Dallas was doomed no matter who Dallas hired.

Hiring Switzer is what brought you ONE MORE TITLE.

Again, Johnson didn't do it in his last season and that is when Dallas was on top of it's game.

Switzer salvaged one more when Dallas could easily be stuck with 4 instead of :lombardi:

The emboldened portions force me to ask, say what?

Jimmy's last season in Dallas was 1993, and his last game was a 30-13 defeat of the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXVIII. Barry was hired in 1994, inheriting a roster that had just won a Super Bowl the previous season, and promptly lost in the NFC Title Game to San Francisco, a team that Jimmy had dominated three times over the past two years.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/cowboys/

I seriously doubt that Dallas' fifth Lombardi was salvaged only by Switzer's legendary coaching prowess. If anything, it's more likely that Switzer stymied a four-peat.

switzersflask

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2189763 said:

Jimmy's last season in Dallas was 1993, and his last game was a 30-13 defeat of the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXVIII. Barry was hired in 1994, inheriting a roster that had just won a Super Bowl the previous season, and promptly lost in the NFC Title Game to San Francisco, a team that Jimmy had dominated three times over the past two years.

I seriously doubt that Dallas' fifth Lombardi was salvaged only by Switzer's legendary coaching prowess. If anything, it's more likely that Switzer stymied a four-peat.

Yep, that's my bad.

Jones *** up by firing Johnson, but hiring Switzer was the next best thing to do.

Switzer did the best with what he had with a team on the decline due to age.

JJ would have had the same problems going into the middle and later part of the decade.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
switzersflask;2189760 said:
You just have no idea of what you're talking about.

I don't know what I'm talking about?

Didn't you just say that Barry should be lauded because Jimmy Johnson was unable to win a Super Bowl his last season in Dallas?

Am I missing something here? Did I just enter bizarro world?

switzersflask

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2189763 said:

My mistake.

Firing JJ was a bad move, but hiring Switzer was the next best thing.

JJ would've had problems going into the middle and later parts of the decade as well.

switzersflask

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2189771 said:
I don't know what I'm talking about?

Didn't you just say that Barry should be lauded because Jimmy Johnson was unable to win a Super Bowl his last season in Dallas?

Am I missing something here? Did I just enter bizarro world?

My mistake.

But I feel like I'm in the bizarro world as well when a man that won a super bowl is jeered by the fans of the team he led.

JJ would've strugged just like Switzer and may not have won the Bowl in '06 like Switzer. He may have, but you don't just win a Super Bowl no matter how talented your team is.

I don't know why I thought JJ lost in the NFC Title. Been a long time and I've been over consumed with OU football over the past decade I guess.

Mash

Reaction score
Switzer did what he was suppose to do....make them contenders and win a SB....he did win one....and was close to another. Coaching a heavily favorite team isnt as easy as we think.

Is Bellicheat a terriable coach because he had the most talented team and lost the SB? Should they hang him in NE?

The dynasty of the 90's had to come to a end....alot of factors were the cause like age...bad backs on a few of our top players....cap hell....poor trade...and bad draft picks.....

But thats what happens......these things go in cycles....some teams hover around 8-8 for decades and win nothing....others suck for awhile.....win a SB here and there and then suck again.

Its our time to win SB's again :) and I know it kills some posters here but Jerry is the Gm and has played a big part in rebuilding this club

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2189782 said:
since I starred in a couple, allow me to explain, 1st you...

you act like your a plummer and you go.....

I'm the plummer here to clean your pipes

or you act as the pool boy and go..... .

I'm the pool boy here to clean your pipes

or you act as the person who cleans the gutter and go.....

I'm the gutter guy here to clean your pipes

:lmao2::lmao:

German Corner

Reaction score
Flask...you're right.

In the 94' title game in sanfrancisco's mudpit, both of Emmit Smith's hamstrings were pulled but he played anyway. Troy got a solid look before he threw the interception in the 1st quarter and Michael Irvin's fumble was simply a great swipe from the db after the catch. Jim Bate's job was to rally the defense to stop frisco but blitzed at the wrong time just by bad luck, watch the tape.

The referee in the corner on the Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders on the non-interference call was looking right at the play, COULD NOT HAVE MISSED IT.
So, what was he thinking. That was not Barry Switzer's fault.

Remember sf have always played in a weak conference where they had easy wins and amassed a record that got them home field advantage (the mud). Dallas has always had to compete in the Super Bowl ladened NFC East.

He did a great job coaching in 1994 and 1995. By 1996 many of the team had aged and were battling injuries.

So it's easy for people to blast someone when they don't know the facts.

Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones were a lethal combination the first five years.
But for those who compare Johnson and Switzer and say Johnson was great and Switzer ruined his team?...Remember Johnson had FIVE years and personel freedom along with a healthy Dan Marino with the Dolphins and all he produced was the worst loss in playoff history to the Jaguars (61 to something).

Plus, the last time the two coached against each other in 1996 Switzer beat Johnson in a runnaway...remember that?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
switzersflask;2189778 said:
My mistake.

But I feel like I'm in the bizarro world as well when a man that won a super bowl is jeered by the fans of the team he led.

JJ would've strugged just like Switzer and may not have won the Bowl in '06 like Switzer. He may have, but you don't just win a Super Bowl no matter how talented your team is.

I don't know why I thought JJ lost in the NFC Title. Been a long time and I've been over consumed with OU football over the past decade I guess.

Switzer is "jeered" because many of his actions and decisions as Cowboys coach warrant jeering. He inherited a superstar team--arguably the most talented and deepest team of all time--in its prime; Aikman and Smith were just entering their late 20s, and Irvin was 29/30. (By comparison, Tony Romo and Terrell Owens are 28 and 35 respectively, and we're expecting a somewhat prolonged period of dominance. Yet, despite this abundance of talent, the Cowboys were a 6-10 mess within four years of Switzer assuming the reigns.)

When you say Jimmy "would've struggled" as well, I'm forced to ask, to what degree? Chan Gailey took this same cast of stars, when they really were getting old and after the talent surrounding them really had evaporated, to the playoffs in the two seasons immediately following Switzer's firing.

Chan Gailey was not a great coach by any imaginative leap, and if he could manage such a feat, we can only wonder what level of success would've awaited us if Jimmy had remained.