Ya'll got to see this, especially Longhorn and Sooner fans!

switzersflask

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2190000 said:
Switzer is "jeered" because many of his actions and decisions as Cowboys coach warrant jeering. He inherited a superstar team--arguably the most talented and deepest team of all time--in its prime; Aikman and Smith were just entering their late 20s, and Irvin was 29/30. (By comparison, Tony Romo and Terrell Owens are 28 and 35 respectively, and we're expecting a somewhat prolonged period of dominance. Yet, despite this abundance of talent, the Cowboys were a 6-10 mess within four years of Switzer assuming the reigns.)

When you say Jimmy "would've struggled" as well, I'm forced to ask, to what degree? Chan Gailey took this same cast of stars, when they really were getting old and after the talent surrounding them really had evaporated, to the playoffs in the two seasons immediately following Switzer's firing.

Chan Gailey was not a great coach by any imaginative leap, and if he could manage such a feat, we can only wonder what level of success would've awaited us if Jimmy had remained.

Not sure if you know this, but in the NFL you need a few years as a coach to install your system. If Switzer could have had the time to surround himself with his own staff and had the freedom to do what he felt was necessary, Dallas probably would have made a better transition into the end of the decade and beginning of the new.

The great state of Texas had the stake planted and ready before Switzer even got there. You were prepared to burn him as soon as he made the wrong move.

Just as German Corner says, Jimmy Johnson had the Dallas Cowboys turned over to him over a nice period of time to build his team. He surrounded himself with his own coaches and built one of the best teams in the history of the NFL.

That team didn't just all of a sudden start having behavior problems when Switzer took over. Can you imagine coming into an atmosphere where most of your fans really just plain ole hate you and having to deal with the coke addicts, pimps, hustlers, etc. of that team? Do you remember Michael Irvin going on a rant throwing trash cans because Switzer was coming to town?

Here comes a guy that wants to do nothing but win and several guys made that damn hard to do.

The fact that you can't respect him for leading your team to a world championships makes me want to puke. I've never seen any team in this world dog on a coach that actually helped lead them to being the champions.

I know this is just a hypothetical, but I'm sure if Switzer were the coach Jerry got instead of Jimmy, he would have built something fierce as well. However, Jimmy wouldn't have had to deal with the Texas scrutiny since he wasn't the coach that completely dominated the beloved Longhorns and made them look like what they truly are, incompetent losers.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
switzersflask;2190821 said:
Not sure if you know this, but in the NFL you need a few years as a coach to install your system. If Switzer could have had the time to surround himself with his own staff and had the freedom to do what he felt was necessary, Dallas probably would have made a better transition into the end of the decade and beginning of the new.

So, once again, I ask you this question: How is it that Chan Gailey--in his first year as head coach of the Cowboys--coaxed 10 wins and an NFC East title out of the same roster of waning superstars that Switzer had reduced to a 6-10 mess the previous year?

Switzer was given four years to install his system, and the end result was 6-10 and the deterioration of an NFL dynasty.

The great state of Texas had the stake planted and ready before Switzer even got there. You were prepared to burn him as soon as he made the wrong move.

I know this is just a hypothetical, but I'm sure if Switzer were the coach Jerry got instead of Jimmy, he would have built something fierce as well. However, Jimmy wouldn't have had to deal with the Texas scrutiny since he wasn't the coach that completely dominated the beloved Longhorns and made them look like what they truly are, incompetent losers.
Spare me your righteous indignation. If the Longhorns ever "looked like incompetent losers," they did so in the 1991 Cotton Bowl while playing a Miami Hurricanes program that Jimmy Johnson built.

If Switzer had been able to assemble a team of all-pros and future hall of famers, he would've been embraced by the state of Texas, just like Jimmy Johnson was.

Just as German Corner says, Jimmy Johnson had the Dallas Cowboys turned over to him over a nice period of time to build his team. He surrounded himself with his own coaches and built one of the best teams in the history of the NFL.

That team didn't just all of a sudden start having behavior problems when Switzer took over. Can you imagine coming into an atmosphere where most of your fans really just plain ole hate you and having to deal with the coke addicts, pimps, hustlers, etc. of that team? Do you remember Michael Irvin going on a rant throwing trash cans because Switzer was coming to town?

Here comes a guy that wants to do nothing but win and several guys made that damn hard to do.
Tough.

Switzer was head coach. The responsibility for unifying and focusing the team fell squarely upon his shoulders. Although the team's behavioral problems were not his fault, he was responsible for directing those aggressions onto the football field and preventing them from becoming off-field distractions. His inability to consistently fill those duties reflects poorly on him as a coach.

The fact that you can't respect him for leading your team to a world championships makes me want to puke. I've never seen any team in this world dog on a coach that actually helped lead them to being the champions.
Barry would receive more respect if he had accomplished something other than riding Jimmy's coattails. When provided the opportunity to replenish the team's talent and maintain the dynasty, Barry flopped miserably.

Apparently, Barry's inability to generate respect isn't confined to Cowboy fans. How many head coaching positions has he been offered since leaving Dallas? How many teams have pursued him for any coaching vacancy with any level of zeal?

Exactly.