Yanks Sweep the Sox again - Clinch AL East

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Are the Sox done? Are the Yanks the best team in the American?

MC KAos

Reaction score
its baseball, there are like 120,233,789,765,878,788 games left, anything can happen between now and next month

but as of right now, id say the yanks are the hottest team, dont know about best, angels still have their number

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MC KAos;2875388 said:
its baseball, there are like 120,233,789,765,878,788 games left, anything can happen between now and next month

but as of right now, id say the yanks are the hottest team, dont know about best, angels still have their number

53 games left.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
No one is the best team in baseball until the World Series is over. Unless the Yanks just swept the Sox in an unknown August World Series then, no, they're not the best team in the American league or baseball for that matter.

Hottest team right now? Possibly. Best? Way to early.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I don't get why people get so excited about this series, esp. this early

it'll be June, and it's, "Sox and Yankees WOOHOO!! this is going to be a big one"

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2875681 said:

it'll be June, and it's, "Sox and Yankees WOOHOO!! this is going to be a big one"

Same reason this place melts if we get beat by the Skins or vice versa on Extreme.

:)

MC KAos

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2875707 said:
Same reason this place melts if we get beat by the Skins or vice versa on Extreme.

ya but those games are meaningful, its 1/16th of the season, not 1/160th

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
MC KAos;2875811 said:
We play the Skins twice... 1 out of every 8 games. Yankees and Red Sox play something like 19 times.... which is one out of every 9 games. Seems to me like they're almost equally meaningful.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MC KAos;2875811 said:

In 2008, the Rays beat the Sox by 2 games. The Sox win one more game against the Rays and it's a tie.

2007, the Sox beat the Yanks by two games. Yanks win one more game against the Sox and it's a tie.

2005, Yanks and the Sox tie in the East. One team wins one game and it's the AL E title outright.

You wouldn't think it makes much difference but it does.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
cakegif.gif

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2875364 said:
More importantly....the RANGERS have now caught up with the Sox in the Wild Card hunt. :D

MC KAos

Reaction score
peplaw06;2875860 said:
We play the Skins twice... 1 out of every 8 games. Yankees and Red Sox play something like 19 times.... which is one out of every 9 games. Seems to me like they're almost equally meaningful.

i ment each individual game, even a four game series is equivalent to 1/40th of the season, its not that big of a deal

ABQCOWBOY;2875940 said:
In 2008, the Rays beat the Sox by 2 games. The Sox win one more game against the Rays and it's a tie.

2007, the Sox beat the Yanks by two games. Yanks win one more game against the Sox and it's a tie.

2005, Yanks and the Sox tie in the East. One team wins one game and it's the AL E title outright.

You wouldn't think it makes much difference but it does.

ya, they could have also won one or two more of the other 140 games in the season, again its not as meaningful as football, not even close

Rogah

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2875364 said:
I am not sure I would say a team was "done" when they are currently tied for the lead in the Wild Card, but I do think you can start printing those "NY Yankees AL East Champs" t-shirts. I read somewhere they've never blown a division lead this big.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2875681 said:

I'll give you an answer, if you're really interested...............

First of all, it's not "early". In fact, it's getting late.

Secondly, this rivalry is probably THE No.1 blood-fued in all of professional sports.

Third, the Sox swept the Yankees the first 8 games of the season, and now the Yankees swept them four out of four. It put the Bombers up 6.5 games on the Sox in the middle August. History shows that this is an almost insurmountable lead at this stage of the season. Barring an unusual and unheard of melt-down, the American League East is over.

Fourth, the Yankees-Red Sox thing is good for MLB, love either of them or hate either of them.............doesn't matter. These two going after each other is what stirs the drink and makes the MLB/TV Ratings go round.

And COWBOY FANS, of all people, SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS! The Cowboys, much like the Yankees, are either loved or despised due to no other reason than SUCCESS! Technically, NO Cowboy fan should hold the Yankees in contempt, because YOUR in the SAME EXACT boat. You, OF ALL PEOPLE, should undertand the misplace hatred of team simply due to jealousy and covet. For every one of US out there, there seems to be TWO of THEM! Cowboy haters, for no other reason than that their team is Seattle, or Philly, or New Orleans. And the HATE us because their simply NOT US!!!!

That's why the Yankees and Red Sox are so important in the middle of August.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
lewpac;2876482 said:
I'll give you an answer, if you're really interested...............

First of all, it's not "early". In fact, it's getting late.

Secondly, this rivalry is probably THE No.1 blood-fued in all of professional sports.

Third, the Sox swept the Yankees the first 8 games of the season, and now the Yankees swept them four out of four. It put the Bombers up 6.5 games on the Sox in the middle August. History shows that this is an almost insurmountable lead at this stage of the season. Barring an unusual and unheard of melt-down, the American League East is over.

Fourth, the Yankees-Red Sox thing is good for MLB, love either of them or hate either of them.............doesn't matter. These two going after each other is what stirs the drink and makes the MLB/TV Ratings go round.

And COWBOY FANS, of all people, SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS! The Cowboys, much like the Yankees, are either loved or despised due to no other reason than SUCCESS! Technically, NO Cowboy fan should hold the Yankees in contempt, because YOUR in the SAME EXACT boat. You, OF ALL PEOPLE, should undertand the misplace hatred of team simply due to jealousy and covet. For every one of US out there, there seems to be TWO of THEM! Cowboy haters, for no other reason than that their team is Seattle, or Philly, or New Orleans. And the HATE us because their simply NOT US!!!!

That's why the Yankees and Red Sox are so important in the middle of August.
There are plenty of reasons to hold the Yankees in contempt, and not the Cowboys... and specifically Yankee fans.

Number one off the top of my head is that I hate bandwagon fans. It gives us true fans a bad name. And most Yankee fans are bandwagon fans.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
peplaw06;2876709 said:
There are plenty of reasons to hold the Yankees in contempt, and not the Cowboys... and specifically Yankee fans.

Number one off the top of my head is that I hate bandwagon fans. It gives us true fans a bad name. And most Yankee fans are bandwagon fans.

Pep, you are a lawyer. You should no better then to use such a subjective arguement with no real way to prove the point.

:D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MC KAos;2876177 said:
i ment each individual game, even a four game series is equivalent to 1/40th of the season, its not that big of a deal

ya, they could have also won one or two more of the other 140 games in the season, again its not as meaningful as football, not even close

Division games are essentially two game swings. It's more important then 1/40th. Doesn't matter. I'm certain that if this were the Mavs we were talking about and it was a single game against Houston or San Antonio in a tight Division race, it would probably be much easier to understand the significance.

The real answer is that you are probably not a Yankee or Red Sox fan, which is OK. However, if you were, you would understand why it's a bid deal.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2877186 said:
Division games are essentially two game swings. It's more important then 1/40th. Doesn't matter. I'm certain that if this were the Mavs we were talking about and it was a single game against Houston or San Antonio in a tight Division race, it would probably be much easier to understand the significance.

The real answer is that you are probably not a Yankee or Red Sox fan, which is OK. However, if you were, you would understand why it's a bid deal.

A divisional football game, is by definition, about 10 times more important than a single divisional baseball game. And in basketball, the rival game would be twice as important.

That is being gracious to baseball, because division rivals play each other more in baseball (percentage wise) than in hoops.
But yes, divisional rivalry games are huge in any case.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2877161 said:
Pep, you are a lawyer. You should no better then to use such a subjective arguement with no real way to prove the point.

:D
LOL.... makes it all the more difficult to refute me.:)