Twitter: Yards after contact for RBs since 2018

Jipper

Reaction score
But he’s 2nd in total yards....frankly I don’t give a crap if they are from before contact or after contact as long as he is very productive.

you don’t rank as high in yards as he does if you aren’t a very good rb

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
But he’s 2nd in total yards....frankly I don’t give a crap if they are from before contact or free contact as long as he is very productive.

Before contact = the oline being good
After contact = the running back being good

You should absolutely care, and frankly I can't believe people still care about bulk rushing yards as if they mean anything.

Yes you do, if you just carry the ball a ton. It's pretty obvious.

Jipper

Reaction score

You should absolutely care, and frankly I can't believe people still care about bulk rushing yards as if they mean anything.

I know exactly what it means and can see what you are trying to spin to paint a negative narrative around zeke but I’m not buying it.

He’s had a rough year this year but is still one of the best backs in the nfl....no offense intended I just don’t agree with the assessment

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

The Cowboys RB2 is one of the worst in the league in getting those "dirty yards" his defenders toute him for.

Meanwhile Pollard the RB1 is #1 in yards after contact since entering the league

We're choosing the last two years? One in which he held out of training camp and another where the offense is decimated? Elliott has to play better, no doubt, but this certainly seems to be selective to fit an agenda.

Also, always be careful about comparing backup running backs to starters. It's a lesson that should have been learned when fans were touting Troy Hambrick based on his average playing backup to Emmitt.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I mainly go off average per carry. The main reason for that is that a back can have a lot of yards, but not be doing much with them (which Elliott fits this year since I believe 4 YPC is the dividing line).

At the same time, I do think you have to factor in long runs. A back can be over 4 YPC, but the average be artificially inflated by long runs depending on the number of carries. Zeke doesn't have to worry about his average being inflated since he doesn't really break long runs.

I am more in favor of a back who regularly picks up 4 yards per carry instead of a home run hitter who strikes out on most of his carries.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I know exactly what it means and can see what you are trying to spin to paint a negative narrative around zeke but I’m not buying it.

He’s had a rough year this year but is still one of the best backs in the nfl....no offense intended I just don’t agree with the assessment
If you know what I'm saying this it should be common knowledge with no spin...

Don't know how else to get the point across if you already understand the point.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I mainly go off average per carry. The main reason for that is that a back can have a lot of yards, but not be doing much with them (which Elliott fits this year since I believe 4 YPC is the dividing line).

At the same time, I do think you have to factor in long runs. A back can be over 4 YPC, but the average be artificially inflated by long runs depending on the number of carries. Zeke doesn't have to worry about his average being inflated since he doesn't really break long runs.

I am more in favor of a back who regularly picks up 4 yards per carry instead of a home run hitter who strikes out on most of his carries.

4 ypc is garbage and loses your team games. Incredibly low bar.

4.5 is the league average.

But yes your thought process is crazy outdated. Hitting home runs incredibly valuable in today's game.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We're choosing the last two years? One in which he held out of training camp and another where the offense is decimated? Elliott has to play better, no doubt, but this certainly seems to be selective to fit an agenda.

Also, always be careful about comparing backup running backs to starters. It's a lesson that should have been learned when fans were touting Troy Hambrick based on his average playing backup to Emmitt.

Or theater most relevant seasons, and 40% of his entire career. Weird for anyone to complain about the sample size. Makes no sense.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Or theater most relevant seasons, and 40% of his entire career. Weird for anyone to complain about the sample size. Makes no sense.

With most players, if you sample the worst years of his career, you can make them look bad. Elliott's worst years just happen to be one where he held out and one where the offense is a wreck because of injuries.

I'm certainly not saying Elliott has played particularly well of late, but fans pick and choose what they want to see. It's no coincidence that his first two years, which are why he got paid, are left out of the equation for this statistic.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score

The Cowboys RB2 is one of the worst in the league in getting those "dirty yards" his defenders toute him for.

Meanwhile Pollard the RB1 is #1 in yards after contact since entering the league

How you gonna make a post like this, then cry when people make posts about Dak? Tired of both the haters and fanboys of Dak and Zeke. Y’all really ain’t have nothing better to do. :laugh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But he’s 2nd in total yards....frankly I don’t give a crap if they are from before contact or after contact as long as he is very productive.

And this is the common mistake of the casual fan. Any RB is going to get yards given the carries. Its how effective you are when you do get the carries. Zeke is clearly not very effective. Low YPC, low TD's, severely lacks big plays, plays poorly in big games and actually slows the offense down and makes it predictable. And down by the GL is is less effective. And for all the hype about how well rounded he is, he is NOT a good receiver out of the backfield. Basically reduced to catching passes in the flat and doing little when he does.