Yeah I am going there. coaching names

Sydla

Reaction score
A look around the league at the interesting names for potential head coaching replacements. More under the radar types and not the big obvious names like a Harbaugh, etc.

1) Edgar Bennett - GB OC. Downside, he's never called plays before, McCarthy does that. Then again, Doug Pederson never really called plays in KC and he's doing a god job in Philly. Bennett started as a player personnel guy so he has a scouting background. Also, under McCarthy, he likes to cross train his offensive coaches, so Bennett was worked with WRs, RBs, QBs, etc. Another downside, however - the McCarthy coaching tree is barren.

2) Harold Goodwin - Arizona OC. Like Bennett, the downside is he doesn't really call plays, Ariens does. But he does have an extensive resume - OL coach in college, OL coach in Pittsburgh (when they won their SB in 2009), OC in Arizona. He's said to be a key factor in Arizona's complex passing game. Some will say Arizona's offense is garbage but I think that's more because of just bad QBs.

3) Kris Richard - Seattle DC. A young guy, only 38. He doesn't have an illustrious resume but he's been a key assistant in Seattle's defense for years. Was the secondary coach before being named DC.

4) Bob Cooter - Lions OC. This guy is young, like Sean McVeigh young. But pretty wide respected in the league. Pretty innovative offensive coach. And even in better, given all our problems with players who have had trouble with the law, Cooter was arrested in 2009 for aggravated burglary when he got drunk and climbed into a bed with a woman after he broke into her apartment. LOL. Also has a DUI from 2006.

Some will come back with McDaniels and Patricia. Not buying the hype. Belicheck's tree is woeful and when you look at McDaniels I am scared he looks so good because he's got the greatest QB of all time playing for him (like how Romo made Garrett look competent type effect). And with Patricia, how much of their defensive success is really because Belicheck is there?

Bennett is intriguing to me given his player personnel background. Goodwin's exposure to Ariens' complex offense is also intriguing.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
When I hear GB OC i only think of Mcadoo.

Cooter intrigues me but I wonder how much is because he has Stafford.

Love the thread though! Better to offer potential solutions not just complain about the problem.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Jon Gruden ?

Jim Harbaugh wants out of college football ?

Just adding names. If you got them list them.

Sydla

Reaction score
When I hear GB OC i only think of Mcadoo.

Cooter intrigues me but I wonder how much is because he has Stafford.

Love the thread though! Better to offer potential solutions not just complain about the problem.

LOL. McAdoo was my first thought too.

I just hope if we get a late Christmas present and the Cowboys do decide to make a change, they don't bring in a retread like a Mike Smith.

Time for some fresh blood.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jon Gruden ?

Jim Harbaugh wants out of college football ?

Just adding names. If you got them list them.

Agreed but the point of this thread was some under the radar types, not the typical names that get cycled every time a job opens up like a Harbaugh or Gruden.

lqmac1

Reaction score
A look around the league at the interesting names for potential head coaching replacements. More under the radar types and not the big obvious names like a Harbaugh, etc.

1) Edgar Bennett - GB OC. Downside, he's never called plays before, McCarthy does that. Then again, Doug Pederson never really called plays in KC and he's doing a god job in Philly. Bennett started as a player personnel guy so he has a scouting background. Also, under McCarthy, he likes to cross train his offensive coaches, so Bennett was worked with WRs, RBs, QBs, etc. Another downside, however - the McCarthy coaching tree is barren.

2) Harold Goodwin - Arizona OC. Like Bennett, the downside is he doesn't really call plays, Ariens does. But he does have an extensive resume - OL coach in college, OL coach in Pittsburgh (when they won their SB in 2009), OC in Arizona. He's said to be a key factor in Arizona's complex passing game. Some will say Arizona's offense is garbage but I think that's more because of just bad QBs.

3) Kris Richard - Seattle DC. A young guy, only 38. He doesn't have an illustrious resume but he's been a key assistant in Seattle's defense for years. Was the secondary coach before being named DC.

4) Bob Cooter - Lions OC. This guy is young, like Sean McVeigh young. But pretty wide respected in the league. Pretty innovative offensive coach. And even in better, given all our problems with players who have had trouble with the law, Cooter was arrested in 2009 for aggravated burglary when he got drunk and climbed into a bed with a woman after he broke into her apartment. LOL. Also has a DUI from 2006.

Some will come back with McDaniels and Patricia. Not buying the hype. Belicheck's tree is woeful and when you look at McDaniels I am scared he looks so good because he's got the greatest QB of all time playing for him (like how Romo made Garrett look competent type effect). And with Patricia, how much of their defensive success is really because Belicheck is there?

Bennett is intriguing to me given his player personnel background. Goodwin's exposure to Ariens' complex offense is also intriguing.
I wouldn’t be excited about Bob Cooter, solely based on name!

Sydla

Reaction score
I've been impressed by the maturation of Stafford's game under Cooter, especially consider the blah talent the Lions have on offense.

They have more talent than people think. Even with no megatron they have some decent WRs in Tate, Jones, etc. Their RBs stink other than Riddick, who is just a pass catcher.

lqmac1

Reaction score
I’ll be completely fine with Romo, no joke. I know he’ll need a few years to develop, but when he does, he’ll ball. OC? Bring in Witten as soon as he retires. Both phenomenal football minds.

Get Rex Ryan out of ESPN and put him as DC.

diefree666

Reaction score
No ESTABLISHED coach like Harbaugh will work with Jerry. It has to be someone who has never been a NFL HC before. And he will have to be able to put up with Jerry. That is a lot to ask.

The Natural

Reaction score
I’ll be completely fine with Romo, no joke. I know he’ll need a few years to develop, but when he does, he’ll ball. OC? Bring in Witten as soon as he retires. Both phenomenal football minds.

Then let him get those developmental years on someone else's dime. We've spent the last 7 years trying to train a goofball into being a competent head coach

Sydla

Reaction score
Hiring from within the family is less than optimal IMHO. Man this organization needs new blood.

Yeah, this is a lesson all should learn. When you bring in a guy like Romo (Garrett), the Jones family is too emotional to make hard decisions that might need to be made going forward.

khiladi

Reaction score
I was reading an article on Scott McVeigh. The guy hardly even bothers to attend the defense’s practices because Wade is there.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score

With you until the Rec Ryan thing