Yes, drafting Joey Bosa makes sense

jnday

Reaction score
If there is a QB that they have rated top five, take him and be happy..'if no QB fits the bill , trade back and get RB, WR or defensive player.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Mods can just pin the weekly "why does he only have 6 sacks a year thread" it wll save time and duplication.

I recall a few years back people saying no way to Poe because he didn't have the sacks in college.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For the record, I'm only going DE at 4 if there is a JJ Watt impact player available.

And how do you know there's not? JJ Watt wasn't a JJ Watt impact player in the draft.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
And how do you know there's not? JJ Watt wasn't a JJ Watt impact player in the draft.

Most on this board thought Watt was a so-so pick at 9 back in 2011, so 4 would have been laughable.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Boza has become a rather polarizing prospect in these parts. I'm not sure why that is really. I know recently we've heard questions being raised about his drop off in production his senior year and the fact he was suspended the first game of the 2015 season, but I think those issues may be getting brought up by teams like Miami or Tampa who would love to see him fall to them. For those that say he's not worth the 4th overall pick because he's not talented enough, well, I have to wonder if they haven't watched him play and decided to read the "weaknesses" someone wrote up in a draft profile. I mean, he's being talked about by some like he should only be taken on day two.

Is he the second coming of DeMarcus Ware? Absolutely not. He's a different type of player. He's built to be a LDE in a 4-3 defense. That's another argument for some against drafting him. If he's not a pass rushing RDE, he's not worthy of this high of a draft pick. What's being missed is the fact that he'd have a huge impact for the Cowboys D in several ways even if he does play the left side.

link/http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/2/25/11117886/yes-drafting-joey-bosa-makes-sense

So where does Lawrence go? RDE?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I think that had more to do with people wanting an OL so bad.

Kind of, but a lot of folks thought he was more of a run stopper that could not get the the QB consistently at the NFL level. No shade towards anyone, because a boatload of scouts that that as well.

Point is that Watt would have/should have gone as early as third in that draft if people knew the potential he had. His scouting reports kind of insinuated that he could be a slightly lesser Joey Bosa.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Most on this board thought Watt was a so-so pick at 9 back in 2011, so 4 would have been laughable.

I agree, but most would have been wrong. If Dallas had been drafting at 4 that year and considering Watt, most here would have been losing their minds.

I don't know if Bosa is the best pick or the worst pick we could make at four. It all depends on how it turns out. We could pass on Bosa and take a QB, and it could be the worst decision we ever made. Or we could pass on Bosa for Ramsey and it could be the worst decision we ever made. Or we could pick Bosa and regret not taking that QB or Ramsey or even Ezekiel Elliot.

I know as fans we get caught up in whom Dallas should take, but I really don't see the need to be dead-set against this player or that player because we simply don't know who is going to excel. I just hope Dallas gets it right.

gimmesix

Reaction score
So where does Lawrence go? RDE?

I think he would if Dallas drafted Bosa, and I'm not sure it isn't a better position for him. He came on a LDE last year, but he also was coming on strong at RDE in the playoffs with a sack in each game. Plus, it would give us strong run defenders on each side, with Gregory being used primarily as a pass rusher.

Base would be Lawrence, Crawford, 1-tech, Bosa. Nickel would be Gregory (after his suspension), Crawford, Bosa, Lawrence.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IF they drafted BOSA...I wonder how long it would take before they have him and DLaw on each end doing stunts?

Seems like DLaw's sack numbers started picking up some when they started doing some inside stunts.

I also just wonder how many times they would line up Bosa as a 3 tech.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Guys who don't really know much about Bosa think he can't play either DE because of his 40 time. Silly.
He has been the consensus #1 player in the draft all year. He is referred to as the best pass rusher in the draft and as a guy who can't be blocked by one player. If you want to go back and run the 3-4 defense, then you draft another speed guy running a 4.6, but if you want a DE who plays in the 4-3, stops the run, puts pressure on the QB, and demands double teams, then Bosa may be your guy. He's in the mold of Hardy in that he can play DE or move inside at DT if you want your smaller speed buys on the outside on 3rd down.

Some of the greatest 4-3 DE's in the NFL weren't burners on the track in the 40. Shouldn't we be looking at his shorter bursts as a DE anyway?