Yetur Gross-Matos DE Penn State

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Apologies if this chap has already been mentioned in other threads, but I'd like to suggest Yetur Gross-Matos as our selection in the first round. He's an Edge Rushed who looks absolutely dominant in the videos I've seen of him. According to WalterFootball, he's
6'5 and 265 lbs. From the video I've included in this thread, you'll see that he is excellent at attacking the quarterback, and he's also excellent at stopping the run on the outside. Pairing him up with DeMarcus Lawrence on the other side would give us a rather powerful edge presence on each side.

Now, I'm aware that we need a DT and safety, but I think we can find a very good safety in round 2. I really like the chap who went to the small school for our safety pick in round two. Can't quite remember his name. I think his name was Dugger. As for DT, I think we can find a good one a bit later than that. But, Matos is a chap who, if he's on the board, imo, would be the best defencive player we could draft at that spot. He'd make mincemeat out of opposing offensive linemen from what I'm seeing of him.

What say you all of him? If this chap has a thread already, then I'm perfectly fine with this being merged with that thread. However, this is my choice for our first round pick.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
no thanks at 17, but yes, a guy i am intrigued by.

If we can slide back from 17, then yes i think its possible you might get him and Dugger as 2 of your first three picks.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Add me to the "like him, just not at 17" gang.

Super productive for 2 years at Penn State, prototypical size, broad and vertical at the Combine both checked out, I have an easy time seeing how he is going to make it in the pros. I'd prefer taking a swing at Chaisson at #17, but you could draft YGM to be a day 1 starter.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
no thanks at 17, but yes, a guy i am intrigued by.

If we can slide back from 17, then yes i think its possible you might get him and Dugger as 2 of your first three picks.

Im a bit hesitant of DE at 17, but blimey he'd be a nice add. Especially if we get Dugger in round 2. A trade down to get him would be lovely too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Add me to the "like him, just not at 17" gang.

Super productive for 2 years at Penn State, prototypical size, broad and vertical at the Combine both checked out, I have an easy time seeing how he is going to make it in the pros. I'd prefer taking a swing at Chaisson at #17, but you could draft YGM to be a day 1 starter.

In a trade down, he's perfect. But I'll give a bit of an explanation to my logic behind why he makes sense at 17 besides the fact he may be the best on the board at 17. As you point out, he's a prototypical DE with his size. When I watch videos on him, my goodness does he jump off the page! He looks bloody quick for his size. As stated, his run stopping was what caught my attention. I expect a DE to be an effective pass rusher, which he is. This is where I was blown away. This is where I think he's actually worth it at 17. Cuz we were horrible at run stopping last year, and it's one of the reasons I want a 1 tech DT. However, a DE who can stop the run and rush the passer is certainly a big plus.

Also, with Coach Nolan, I dunno exactly what to expect. But I reckon he'll want to be more aggressive with the defence considering how passive we were and how poor we were at takeaways. Therefore, another point to YGM because he looks like he's fit an aggressive defencive scheme with how he attacks both the QB and RB. Thus, if you combine him with Dugger and a 1 tech DT in the first 3 rounds, you will really have an aggressive and powerful defence.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like him. Anxious to see his numbers at his pro day but the production is impressive and has pretty good tape.

Not at 17, but in a trade down.

I can make a case, and did in my above reply to beware for why I think he is worth it at 17.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe at 51, but earlier than that I have no interest.

I highly doubt he lasts until the second round much less the middle of the second round I'm afraid. His tape looks too good. I think the Packers are a team that I'd fear might have taking him before we are able to have a go at him.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I highly doubt he lasts until the second round much less the middle of the second round I'm afraid. His tape looks too good. I think the Packers are a team that I'd fear might have taking him before we are able to have a go at him.

What about his tape looks so good? The no pass rush moves outside of bull rush which doesn't work in the NFL without any counters?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He has heavy hands, not much bend, but knows how to use his hands well and uses raw power. I like him with the right coaching. At 17 I rather have Epenesa because he is well rounded. Not spectacular but gets the job done.

Epenesa is quite good. I'll concede that, and I'll also concede that YGM does look a bit stiff. But, again, I also really like his ability against the run as well as in the pass.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What about his tape looks so good? The no pass rush moves outside of bull rush which doesn't work in the NFL without any counters?

I like his ability against the run that I see from him. I do think he could learn a few more moves. But, he looks like he'd fit well with an aggressive defence. I also like how he attacks the ball as well as the QB. If you look at his video, you'll see how he actually manages to get the ball out the QBs hands where a teammate was near it on a few areas. That's an area of need for this defence. Not just get the QB to the ground, but attack the ball too. You never know. It may just pop out.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I like his ability against the run that I see from him. I do think he could learn a few more moves. But, he looks like he'd fit well with an aggressive defence. I also like how he attacks the ball as well as the QB. If you look at his video, you'll see how he actually manages to get the ball out the QBs hands where a teammate was near it on a few areas. That's an area of need for this defence. Not just get the QB to the ground, but attack the ball too. You never know. It may just pop out.

If you are drafting a guy who is stiff and no pass rush moves go get a middle round DT who can push the middle of the pocket. I am not drafting a stiff DE with no pass rush moves in the first and might not even at 51.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you are drafting a guy who is stiff and no pass rush moves go get a middle round DT who can push the middle of the pocket. I am not drafting a stiff DE with no pass rush moves in the first and might not even at 51.

I will leave it with this. I'm not terribly fussed by the moves as long as he's effective, and he looks like he's effective to me. If he does make it to us at 51, which I doubt but then I could very well be wrong, I'd be really pleased if we get him. That'd be brilliant