Yetur Gross-Matos DE Penn State

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Matos is a player.

Someone had a thread on him months ago. He reminds me a lot of Joey Bosa in that he has great hands. Watch the clip the OP posted and see the variety of ways he gets off linemen. Bosa’s advanced technique is what makes him good because he didn’t test out as a dominant athlete.

Matos has put together two quality seasons and is coming out as a junior. Oh, and by the way:

6’-5”
266 lbs
34 7/8” arms

I think he’s a slept on prospect.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Matos is a player.

Someone had a thread on him months ago. He reminds me a lot of Joey Bosa in that he has great hands. Watch the clip the OP posted and see the variety of ways he gets off linemen. Bosa’s advanced technique is what makes him good because he didn’t test out as a dominant athlete.

Matos has put together two quality seasons and is coming out as a junior. Oh, and by the way:

6’-5”
266 lbs
34 7/8” arms

Agreed. He's a sleeper Imo. I like what I see from him, and I think he'd make our pass rush and run stopping better.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Matos is a player.

6’-5”
266 lbs
34 7/8” arms

And those are very good measurements.

Sydla

Reaction score
He strikes me as a guy who has a somewhat limited ceiling but also a pretty high floor. In other words, best case you get a good, but not great, DE. Worst case, you get a Tyrone Crawford type who while never really great was always a decent enough DL.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He strikes me as a guy who has a somewhat limited ceiling but also a pretty high floor. In other words, best case you get a good, but not great, DE. Worst case, you get a Tyrone Crawford type who while never really great was always a decent enough DL.

I think it depends on how he's coached.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Kim Jones, who is a PSU alum, called him "raw."

Cant take him at 17, especially if a guy like Chiasson is still there.

If he isn't, that pushes someone else down.

Forget this guy at 17. He is definitely not a day one starter, and is a bit of a project overall.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Kim Jones, who is a PSU alum, called him "raw."

Cant take him at 17, especially if a guy like Chiasson is still there.

If he isn't, that pushes someone else down.

Forget this guy at 17. He is definitely not a day one starter, and is a bit of a project overall.

I think he can be a day one starter. In a trade down, he'd be a great choice imo.

lkelly

Reaction score
He disappears for long stretches. He is big and athletic, but doesn't have a diverse number of pass rush moves. He can rush from the middle.

I couldn't figure out where he was for a lot of games. Showed up against Idaho (2 tackles, 2.5 sacks), Purdue (2 and 2), and Ohio State (5 and 2). Against Pitt (nothing on the stat sheet), Michigan (1 tackle), Michigan State (1 tackle), Minnesota (1 tackle) and Indiana (1 tackle, 1 sack) he was barely there. Those last 4 games were all in a row. He had the big one against OSU then sat out against Rutgers. He had 1 tackle and 1 sack against Memphis in the bowl game.

I wasn't sure what to make of him by the end of the year. He seems like a rotational guy for a while. I'd hope that Dallas gets more impact in the first round.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Apologies if this chap has already been mentioned in other threads, but I'd like to suggest Yetur Gross-Matos as our selection in the first round. He's an Edge Rushed who looks absolutely dominant in the videos I've seen of him. According to WalterFootball, he's
6'5 and 265 lbs. From the video I've included in this thread, you'll see that he is excellent at attacking the quarterback, and he's also excellent at stopping the run on the outside. Pairing him up with DeMarcus Lawrence on the other side would give us a rather powerful edge presence on each side.

Now, I'm aware that we need a DT and safety, but I think we can find a very good safety in round 2. I really like the chap who went to the small school for our safety pick in round two. Can't quite remember his name. I think his name was Dugger. As for DT, I think we can find a good one a bit later than that. But, Matos is a chap who, if he's on the board, imo, would be the best defencive player we could draft at that spot. He'd make mincemeat out of opposing offensive linemen from what I'm seeing of him.

What say you all of him? If this chap has a thread already, then I'm perfectly fine with this being merged with that thread. However, this is my choice for our first round pick.

At 17? No freaking way.

btcutter

Reaction score
For some reason he actually reminds me of David Irving.

His best position maybe 3T and not DE. He's too athletic for G and has long arms to push those short G away much like Irving. Doesn't have the "explosiveness" of Chiasson but much better hand fighting technique.

IDK. I want Brown if he falls.

Beaker42

Reaction score
For some reason he actually reminds me of David Irving.

His best position maybe 3T and not DE. He's too athletic for G and has long arms to push those short G away much like Irving. Doesn't have the "explosiveness" of Chiasson but much better hand fighting technique.

IDK. I want Brown if he falls.
I want Kinlaw more than Brown. I just need to see us hit on our 1st rounder big after the last two disappointing drafts McClay fudged out. Beginning to think losing WM might be a good thing.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I want Kinlaw more than Brown. I just need to see us hit on our 1st rounder big after the last two disappointing drafts McClay fudged out. Beginning to think losing WM might be a good thing.

Well Cardinals trading for Hopkins might lead them to drafting a OT
Colts trading for Buckner and no first round pick.
Kinlaw might drop past there if still on the board.
The WR's might drop past the 49ers pick.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Well Cardinals trading for Hopkins might lead them to drafting a OT
Colts trading for Buckner and no first round pick.
Kinlaw might drop past there if still on the board.
The WR's might drop past the 49ers pick.
We NEED DT and CB BADLY. And now DE.